Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm really glad we took that picture -- because looking at it this morning I noticed a puddle under the car that shoudln't have been there. I seem to have developed a coolant leak over the winter, and the Plodge is now at the shop getting that leak tracked down. I ended up having to add almost half a gallon of coolant to the radiator, so it's been dripping for a while.

I was tempted to follow my grandfather's advice of throwing a handful of oatmeal down the radiator, but I resisted that temptation.

I'm really glad we took that picture -- because looking at it this morning I noticed a puddle under the car that shoudln't have been there. I seem to have developed a coolant leak over the winter, and the Plodge is now at the shop getting that leak tracked down. I ended up having to add almost half a gallon of coolant to the radiator, so it's been dripping for a while.

I was tempted to follow my grandfather's advice of throwing a handful of oatmeal down the radiator, but I resisted that temptation.

Good idea. That stuff clogs everything if you put it in there. :p It is fine if you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere and need to get home though. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I noticed a puddle under the car that shoudln't have been there. I seem to have developed a coolant leak over the winter, and the Plodge is now at the shop getting that leak tracked down. I ended up having to add almost half a gallon of coolant to the radiator, so it's been dripping for a while.
My old MG shares a garage with our modern car, it's an inline garage so the cars are parked bumper to bumper. Under the MG is her commode, which is actually an oversize, cat's litter tray, doubling up as a drip tray. The point of it is, I can see leaks almost as soon as they occur and, it prevents the garage floor from becoming soiled. It doesn't prevent a leak, but it does bring the problem to your attention that much sooner.

The old classic also sits on four carpet samples when parked. A concrete floor attracts damp, the samples absorb that damp. they are then replaced by new, well new to me, samples, that the carpet shop has thrown out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to have an old cookie sheet I'd throw under it in the winter, but I think it got lost in last summer's garagecleaning.

My garage has wooden floors, and is so soaked with various oils and fluids that if it ever catches fire, it'll burn for a year.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
spring day tune-up on my '39 panel is more fun than a front barrel grill of monkeys.

2dhscw2.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Turns out my coolant leak was just the water pump needing a shot of fresh grease. I had greased it last fall, but apparently being laid up for four months will sometimes lead to a leak until the innards get loosened up. I took it to a mechanic, when I should have just taken it to a proctologist.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Turns out my coolant leak was just the water pump needing a shot of fresh grease. I had greased it last fall, but apparently being laid up for four months will sometimes lead to a leak until the innards get loosened up. I took it to a mechanic, when I should have just taken it to a proctologist.

Glad it was minor! Wasn't sure you would be able to get out of your drive until July, with all the snow you got. Incidentally, it's a couple of raw eggs for radiator leeks! Although, I would never do it, it does actually work. Problem is, you would only do it, if you were out in the middle of no where. So, unless you stumble onto a Buzzard egg?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Water pump grease is still available but not at every garage and parts store. If you don't have any, the waterproof grease they use in outboard motor lower units is a good substitute. No more than half a pump at each oil change, don't over lube or you could gum up your radiator.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Have heard of using oatmeal, condensed milk, and even cinnamon to stop leaks. Now if someone would suggest brown sugar and buttered toast we could have breakfast.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A couple more reccomendations I got yesterday were to break a raw egg into the hot radiator, or dump in an entire can of ground black pepper.

I just used to use that powdered-brass Solder Seal stuff that came in a tube. I had no idea you could turn a leaky radiator into a rolling lunchroom.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have stopped radiator leaks with cinnamon and also with nutmeg when I didn't have cinnamon. It only takes half a teaspoon or less. I suppose pepper would work as well.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, looks like my water pump is toast, so to speak, after all. Went out this morning and my radiator was about a gallon low -- and when I topped it back up it was visibly dripping out of the pump even with the engine not running. I'm not especially surprised -- the pump wasn't rebuilt when the engine was, and it's got over 98,000 miles on it, so a replacement is overdue. I've ordered one, and should hopefully be back on the road in a week or so. The weather's supposed to be crap over the next few days, so it'll be lousy driving weather anyway...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have stopped radiator leaks with cinnamon and also with nutmeg when I didn't have cinnamon. It only takes half a teaspoon or less. I suppose pepper would work as well.

I'm having the same problem with my lawnmower leaking...not sure how to plug the leak.

btw:
for some odd reason I'm starting to get hungry for cinnamon toast & coffee ! :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken