Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

The thing with Tiny Tim is that, on some level at least, he sincerely loved the popular music of the twenties and thirties -- and was trying, in his own way, to bring it to the attention of a new generation. If you listen to Nick Lucas -- who is the guitar-playing fellow in that film clip -- and then listen to Tiny, you can see that there's a bit of homage going on that goes beyond mere willful campiness.

All kidding aside, you have an extremely good point. Tiny was in fact a big fan of that era. Some have referred to him as a Musicologist in the sense that he liked that era of music and wanted to bring it to the attention of the era he was in.
I kind of respect him in that sense. The amount of ridicule he was forced to endure in order to do so was pretty fierce.:(

rue

The thing with Tiny Tim is that, on some level at least, he sincerely loved the popular music of the twenties and thirties -- and was trying, in his own way, to bring it to the attention of a new generation. If you listen to Nick Lucas -- who is the guitar-playing fellow in that film clip -- and then listen to Tiny, you can see that there's a bit of homage going on that goes beyond mere willful campiness.

One of the best versions of "Tiptoe" is a theatre organ solo by Jesse Crawford, recorded for Victor in 1929. The jazzerati won't have anything to do with Jesse Crawford records, but I enjoy them very much, and this particular one is especially good.

I understand what you're saying and I can agree that he may have loved the music, but I wonder if he knew that his interpretation would be a joke later instead of a tribute. If that was truly his intention I feel bad for him, because most people missed it.

I will look for some Jesse Crawford music hopefully on online and thank you for the recommendation. I have my great grandmother's Brunswick panatrope and I'm starting to collect records for it, so when I find music I like I'm looking for records to play on it. You've been a great help so far :)

martinsantos

Practically Family
Agree!

But probably he was well-know at those days, because his book was translated and published here. Symon's "The Big Bands", for example, was only published in 1992.

I think Mr Jones' work must be readed as an example of studies of those days. A scholar who wanted to write about people - but didn't know anything about music. Liked Gillespie because he was a negro and non-cmercial, not because pleasure about listening.

I know exactly what Lizzie was referring to and agree. As far Mr. Jones and his pompous blowhard ilk of cronies goes, he obviously knows about as much as my dog about music...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think Mr Jones' work must be readed as an example of studies of those days. A scholar who wanted to write about people - but didn't know anything about music. Liked Gillespie because he was a negro and non-cmercial, not because pleasure about listening.

That's precisely the thing to keep in mind when reading any modern "cultural studies" books on music, or movies, or radio, or any other pop-culture category. These books are about using culture as a window into the examination of race, gender, and political issues, not about entertainment history. If people want to get into that stuff, fine -- the problem is when those angles become *the only acceptable lenses thru which to view the era.*

Which is pretty much the situation in any of the academic Popular Culture programs today. They tell you nothing about the era itself, how the culture was actually viewed by the people of the time -- instead, they tell you what modern thinkers think of the era. Which, if you're sincerely interested in what actually happened, isn't of a whole lot of use.

martinsantos

Practically Family
The most interesting "cultural study" I ever read was one about cigarrette boxes. A long forgoteen study, from late 70s. But these brought some very fine details about the quickly changing life details in Brazil from 1900 to 1930s.

The problem is when in a ideological (not sure if this is the correct word) situation as in 60s in USA with affirmative actions, as in the 60s with Jones' work.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I really dislike The Beatles. Shh...don't tell my mum it's her favourite band ever! *LOL*
X
BD

Agree! They're overrated. I'd started typing when I saw that someone else called them overrated as well. I don't dislike everything from the mid 60s-70s just The Beatles.:p I don't mind the lack of originality, hardly any of my idols wrote their own music or invented something new, but at least they could sing and some of them could play too.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
If you look back at the start of this thread, I said the same thing. You are not alone - I will say it again - most overrated band in the history of music!

I'm so happy that I'm not alone. I just hope my mother doesn't find out...she may disown me! *LOL* There were plenty of better bands in the 60s, in my opinion. Heck, give me surf music any day!

I dislike the Rolling Stones also...ugh.
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe