Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I like Xanadu. Nyah. (And I'm straight.)

Let me qualify: I see its faults - the immature story (manic pixie dream girl, a selfish male nerd fantasy), the questionable taste such as the overreaching special effects and the attempt to be hip - trying too hard? - that misses the mark, such as the badly done finale - but I don't understand the hate.

It's of some interest to us because it's half a tribute to '40s musicals (Gene Kelly's last dancing role).

And actually for something considered disco cheese there's very little disco in it. When it's not doing a tribute to the golden era it's trying to be New Wave.

Some of the best scenes:

The muses coming to life:

[video=dailymotion;x7k0o3]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7k0o3_xanadu-02-im-alive_shortfilms[/video]

The big-band tribute (the New Wave part is OK):

[video=youtube;Ts9GdyGD5e4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9GdyGD5e4[/video]

The full-on tribute number:

[video=youtube;5Vsfpw3qKKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vsfpw3qKKc[/video]

And... Gene Kelly sitting on a rock at the beach playing a clarinet, and the snippet of Benny Goodman's 'Mission to Moscow' playing in another scene.

The old Pan-Pacific Auditorium in LA is right up our alley. Too bad it burned down 20 years ago.

panpacific.jpg

Far from the worst movie I've seen. Beatles movies are bad. This is kind of sweet.

Last edited:

rue

rue

Let me qualify: I see its faults - the immature story (manic pixie dream girl, a selfish male nerd fantasy), the questionable taste such as the overreaching special effects and the attempt to be hip - trying too hard? - that misses the mark, such as the badly done finale - but I don't understand the hate.

It's of some interest to us because it's half a tribute to '40s musicals (Gene Kelly's last dancing role).

And actually for something considered disco cheese there's very little disco in it. When it's not doing a tribute to the golden era it's trying to be New Wave.

Far from the worst movie I've seen. Beatles movies are bad. This is kind of sweet.

I haven't seen that movie since I was a little kid. Gene Kelley was in it? :eeek:

WH1

Practically Family
pretty good movie but the original Here comes mr jordan with claude rains was better. interesting that the title heaven can wait was taken from a very good Don Ameche, Gene Tierney film.

WH1

Practically Family
Meg Ryan, why is she allowed to continue acting. She peaked somewhere during the diner faking scene. Here cute act is so damn annoying would rather watch linc trim his toenails...

Atomic Age

Practically Family

I don't particularly have a problem with the story or even the neon special effects. I'm a huge ELO fan so the music is awesome. It was also fantastic to see Gene Kelly dancing again. (best scene in the movie)

My problem with the film is simply that the acting isn't even up to the level of a high school play! I mean its really horrible!

Doug

Edward

Bartender
Meg Ryan, why is she allowed to continue acting. She peaked somewhere during the diner faking scene. Here cute act is so damn annoying would rather watch linc trim his toenails...

I ended up, one Christmas, watching You've Got Mail with my folks. Dreadful film, on so many levels. The thing that grated on me the most, though, was that we were expected to take Meg Ryan seriously as a champion of the little independent business, and yet every two minutes she's off into Starbucks (who presumably paid a pretty penny for that level of product placement).

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Well I enjoyed the first Lord of the Rings movie, but none of the ones thereafter. Same with the newer Star Wars movies...

I think it's just me though, as everyone seems to love both of those series!
X
BD

MissMittens

One Too Many
Well I enjoyed the first Lord of the Rings movie, but none of the ones thereafter. Same with the newer Star Wars movies...

I think it's just me though, as everyone seems to love both of those series!
X
BD

You are NOT alone :D

I hated the second and third of both of those series. The first movies were better.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I thought 'Dune' was terrible, even though I'm a David Lynch fan.
X
BD

Only someone who ever read the book could even hope to understand it. You just can't compress that much material into a couple hours.

SyFy channel did a little better with a multi-part format, but still a little lacking.

I hear rumors someone is going to try it again. Maybe third time will be a charm!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Only someone who ever read the book could even hope to understand it. You just can't compress that much material into a couple hours.

SyFy channel did a little better with a multi-part format, but still a little lacking.

I hear rumors someone is going to try it again. Maybe third time will be a charm!

I understood it, just didn't like it though. Mind, I haven't read the book. The story borrowed elements from so many other stories. I'm not sure I could sit through another rendition! *lol*
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld