Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Digital cinema is, visually and aesthetically, nowhere near as satisfying as 35mm film. Film schools have ruined directing.

I agree - and what's more, I believe digital cinema should be used as a technique - like lighting and angles, but most certainly not throughout the entire film. And before I go any further about my love for film, I better stop lest I get back on discussion about the pros/cons between LP/Cassette/CD.

Undertow

Not only did I like Sex and the City, I've watched every season (twice) and I've seen both movies. That is one of my few and true guilty pleasures.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Oh yeah, and Jerry Lewis...oh man...

Hated that guy. Can't watch a single movie, show or short with him. Terrible.

I like him but agree that his slapstick, childlike persona doesn't work solo, he needs a straight man to balance it off. The Martin/Lewis movies work because they have Dean for balance. Jerry's first solo movie had Darren McGavin in the straight man role. The best stuff that Jerry did was when he played an adult. Hook, Line and Sinker was a good movie. My favorite role of his was as a support character in Tony Curtis' Boeing Boeing. It was an adult story and Jerry was great as the unhelpful friend.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Musicals! I forgot to mention that I HATE musicals as well. There is never a good reason to break from acting and break out into song. :rolleyes: I could just imagine if real life were like that. :eusa_doh:

I love musicals. Life should be like that, people singing and dancing for no apparent reason.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Digital cinema is, visually and aesthetically, nowhere near as satisfying as 35mm film.

Film schools have ruined directing.

I agree with you. I don't think people should take courses in creativity. I don't think it's possible. Art classes in grade school are useful to allow kids to determine if they enjoy being artistic, and possibly to determine if they have any innate talent, because I think that's all art is, is innate talent. You either have the right inspiration and see the perfect scene in your head, or you don't. There's no teaching that. The best movies don't follow conventions - they become the conventions.

As far as digital cinema goes, it's got its place. It's a tool in the toolbox. Using it for everything is a toolbox with only a single screwdriver in it. Sometimes you might need a wrench. I wonder if any directors use both? I wonder if any movies were made with both, to capture their different strengths? That would be something.

I've been on an Akira Kurosawa kick lately, and watched Seven Samurai and Ikiru a couple times - with and without commentary. Aside from a class in Italian Cinema (of the golden age, no less - from birth of talkies to the 60s), my only film education is turning on director commentaries on DVDs.

Undertow

...I don't think people should take courses in creativity. I don't think it's possible. Art classes in grade school are useful to allow kids to determine if they enjoy being artistic, and possibly to determine if they have any innate talent, because I think that's all art is, is innate talent. You either have the right inspiration and see the perfect scene in your head, or you don't. There's no teaching that. The best movies don't follow conventions - they become the conventions...

I agree with you: artists must possess an innate ability - the correct chemical composition. When a catalyst is added - BOOM! However, we must not factor out discipline! The reason art classes are so important, just as math classes, etc. is that a child may not KNOW they are an artist (or a numbers cruncher). Or in some cases, they may believe they're an artist, but they lack the necessary tools to perform their art.

So I don't disagree with you; innate talent is most certainly necessary. On the other hand, a person needs the correct direction throughout their life in order to tap that innate ability. Sure, there are child prodigies like Mozart, but even he had lessons as a child.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Agreed with the whole digital film idea. I like old Jackie Chan movies because he did all of his own stunts and didn't do things with wires and CGI. I find watching a lot of new "martial arts" films to be way over the top and unenjoyable because you don't get to see people move in a realistic manner.

Another unpopular opinion: Sienfeld was a horrible show. I can't watch a full episode without being annoyed by the "humor". I find Jerry to be predictable, boring, and I hate the stupid faces he makes and his tone and delivery of jokes. The other characters are marginally less annoying.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I never got the appeal of Seinfeld. I found almost the entire cast annoying. Honestly, the only one I liked was George - I think that was his name - the frumpy balding one. Jerry and Elaine were irritating. Kramer was okay, but a one trick pony to be certain, and I can only laugh at a crazy guy barging in uninvited like there's ice on the floor once or twice.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I finally saw The Aviator. Would have been an excellent movie had it not been for an ikky weasel with too small of a personality to play Howard Hughes

I finally saw The Aviator. Would have been an excellent movie had it not been for an ikky weasel with too small of a personality to play Howard Hughes

Weasel!
emoticon%20lol.gif

You mean DiCrapio? ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe