Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked Plan 9 from Outer Space. [huh] Sure, it wasn't Star Wars, but hey, if I had a limited budget, I wouldn't have done half as well. Anyway, it beat Battlefield Earth. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Plan 9 is kind of like Rocky Horror for me.

not so great movies that have grown beyond their own confines. cult hits,yes; but also cultural touchstones.

and yeah, Battlefield Earth, wow what a stinker.....lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wood owes his reputation as "The World's Worst Director" pretty much exclusively to Michael Medved, who slammed him hard in his "Golden Turkey Awards" book in the '80s. A lot of people think Medved is a philistine, and that Wood got a raw deal -- his films, technically, are no worse than a lot of other 50s schlock, and have a lot more personality to them than most. I'd much rather watch "Glen or Glenda" or "Bride Of The Monster" than 90 percent of the ground-out stuff that came out of American International.

Edward

Bartender
Wasn't that the same Medved who claimed that "without Hollywood" there would be 20,000 fewer murders, thousands fewer rapes, and on and on per year in the US? There's nothing he could say after that deluge of nonsense that could have any credibility in my eyes.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Michael Winner was NOT a hack.

Kevin Costner is the closest we'll ever get to having "another" James Stewart or Henry Fonda.

Mickey Rooney was as good an actor as any of his Golden Age contemporaries.

Montgomery Clift emitted "creepiness" no matter what the role.

I LOVE Jean Arthur's voice.

Elizabeth Taylor's performances, starting in the mid-'50s, were shrill and unpleasant in every possible way.

Richard Burton was a terrible actor. Just awful.

Burt Reynolds, sans the 'stache, is as bada$$ as any tough guy actor in movie history.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I didn't "get" the Matrix

I will never burn my eyes with "Sex in the city"

I turn off anything with Bruce Willis in it....and have done since the 80's [ Pulp Fiction being the exception ]

Avatar didn't warrant a 2nd viewing

Marlon Brando wasn't anything special

Keira Knightly is about as attractive to me as an 8 year old boy [ NOT my thing before you call the Police ]

Seeing modern Haircuts on soldiers in WW2 set films [ this was rife in the 1970's ]

Shia Leboeuf being in EVERYTHING made since 2005

I didn't "get" the Matrix

I will never burn my eyes with "Sex in the city"

I turn off anything with Bruce Willis in it....and have done since the 80's [ Pulp Fiction being the exception ]

Avatar didn't warrant a 2nd viewing

Marlon Brando wasn't anything special

Brando was the George Clooney of his age in my opinion. I don't get either one. Both kind of strange in their private lives as well. [huh]

JimWagner

Practically Family
Anyway, it beat Battlefield Earth. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

The books were even worse. I got a deal on the whole set years ago. After reading about half the first one I went and took a very soapy disinfecting shower and gave the whole set away to someone else.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
But my all-time most hated genre is the Inspirational Sports Drama. I just can't buy into the whole sports-is-the-noblest-aspiration-of-mankind bushwa that these films traffic in, nor does winning the big game (fight, race, whatever) ever seem important enough for the dramatic freight that it's allegedly carrying. (I admit it: I am that rare creature, a totally sports-disinterested male. I am mystified at how large sports looms in modern culture... Of course, I know many people feel the same about fiction/movies/TV, so I guess it's a whatever-floats-your-boat thing...)
You are exactly like me. Never had interest in watching sports. Only "sports drama movie" I ever liked was Rocky.

Feraud

Bartender
My wife and I very much enjoy the film A Perfect Murder. I know it being a Hitchcock remake will drive some people insane and Gwyneth Paltrow is the most bland entity to ever grace the silver screen but we enjoy the heck out of those characters!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I AM SUPERWOMAN!

Someone else on the Lounge with this guilty pleasure, eh?!

Montgomery Clift emitted "creepiness" no matter what the role.

I LOVE Jean Arthur's voice.

Mr. Clift always seemed to kind of rutch around a lot and look vaguely uncomfortable, as if he had piles or something...

I would take elocution lessons if I could get a voice like Jean Arthur (and plastic surgery if I could get her face and hair...!).

Derek Cavin

One of the Regulars
Agree about Julia Roberts. Caught Pretty Woman on tv the other day and though what was/is so attractive about her? Big wide lips, large nostrils, etc.
Robin Williams - I especially dislike him in interviews. Drives me crazy to watch and listen to him. Jim Carey is a close second in this category.

"Meet the Parent" - 90 mins of a wast of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe