Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ukulele

Nobert

Practically Family
The uke really is a good "entry-level" instrument. The guitar may be better when you're a teenager, and more into raising a ruckus (that's how I started). Like Atticus Finch alluded to, fretted stringed instruments have a relatively low learning curve for getting basic competency (as opposed to, say, the violin). Just yesterday, I attended a class of uke players. It was really nice to see a bunch of people, none of whom were professional musicians, and who had various levels of ability, just playing for the fun of it.

I actually think the ukulele is a more subtle and sophisticated instrument than the guitar, to be honest. The limitation of four strings and a small range really makes you get down to the brass tacks of what you can do. It has all the fun of being able to string a few chords together and make a song (as does the guitar), but if you want to go further you have to rely on song structure and melody, whereas with a guitar you can get away more with volume and fancy tricks. Not bad-mouthing guitar, it's a great instrument, and I love players from Eddie Lang and Django Reinhardt to rock and roll folks who use it for accompaniment. Uke's just good for getting to the fundamentals.

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
Invisible+Scarlet+O%u002527Neil+03+15-ad.jpg

Tried and still trying to mess around with the uke but I suppose I should take some lessons instead of trying to use the book by itself.:p
The most interesting thing that I have seen done with the uke was at a Tiki bar around here. A Hawaiian tiki group was performing and they asked for requests. You know what they got---Freebird. It was an interesting renition. The Uke performed admirably. :p

4yvahuqa.jpg

uduse4e6.jpg

Phone pics don't really do it justice.
Made by Tiki King. This one's dated '01. A Christmas gift from my lovely wife that year.
Check him out. Super good guy.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I have problems remembering the cord and getting my fingers to transition. :p
Practice, practice, practice. Learn each chord so well that you don't have to think about your finger placement, then work on transitioning between them.

If/when I get a ukulele, I think my biggest hurdle might be not trying to use the guitar chords I've been using for the last 40 years. lol

Practice, practice, practice. Learn each chord so well that you don't have to think about your finger placement, then work on transitioning between them.

If/when I get a ukulele, I think my biggest hurdle might be not trying to use the guitar chords I've been using for the last 40 years. lol

Yeah well that ain't gonna work. :p
I have four or five ukes. My grandmother played the things. :p I have a really old one too. The other ones are Harmony tourist crap. I can hang them up in my study I guess.

Warden

One Too Many
On our radio show this week, we were joined by ukulelist Sara Spade, who even gave Edna an on air lesson.

You can hear the radio show online by clicking here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe