Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Restorations by Optimo Hats

barrowjh

One Too Many
I recently sent two ebay acquisitions off to Optimo Hats in Chicago for some restoration work. 1st sent was a green Barbisio that needed a new sweatband (and reblock to 57.5 cm) and cleaned of course, 2nd was a beautiful 'Ninfea' or water lilly green Borsalino that needed a more complete restoration; cleaned & blocked to 57.5 cm, new sweat, new ribbon, new wind trolley. These are now my two finest hats by far; Graham Thompson did some really fine work, and I should show them off so others can see quality work (and imagine the possibilities from an ebay seller's pics).

Here is the finished Barbisio:
090107005.jpg

090107004.jpg

090107006.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Here is the Ninfea Borsalino per the ebay seller's pics, who had described it as 'cola brown' - WOW - was I ever pleasantly surprised when it arrived, in spite of its condition (folded, rolled, and the wind trolley wrapped tightly around it. It had NOT been made as a 'traveler').
Ninfea1.jpg

Ninfea3.jpg

Now, after Graham Thompson's restoration work (Optimo Hats):
090107006-1.jpg

090107003-1.jpg

090107003.jpg

090107005-1.jpg

Thank you, Graham Thompson.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Superb examples of both your taste and Optimo's restorative services. I'm overwhelmed with curiosity about the cost of such services. If you'd rather not post it, a PM would be appreciated. Thanks! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
Superb examples of both your taste and Optimo's restorative services. I'm overwhelmed with curiosity about the cost of such services. If you'd rather not post it, a PM would be appreciated. Thanks! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The Optimo web site has all the costs listed.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The ribbon on that Barbisio is insane. The Borsalino looks perfect. It's nice they kept the original liners.

Congratulations!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments. If you gamble on enough hats on ebay, using some fair guidelines (learned from reading FL posts!) about what you want (and pay too much sometimes), eventually you get one or two worth restoring. Yes, Optimo's prices are on the website, so there is no reason for me not to post what these cost in particular. I put that dollar in the one pic as a color reference.

Barbisio - won for $53, then $70 of work (not quite a full restoration), plus S&H for 3 trips, about $150 in it.

Ninfea Borsalino - won for $99 (too much, but then I lucked out when it turned out to be such a beautiful green instead of cola brown), plus $85 for a full restoration, 3x S&H, about $220 in it.

I'm sure there are folks on here that have picked up nicer hats (many that did not need restoration work) for much less money in the past, but its getting tougher, more of us digging at the hats that appear to have potential. I really enjoy working on (playing with?) hats myself, rebashing and other fun things learned from reading FL posts, but these two needed more than I could handle. I really did not want to send them off, as I suspected (correctly) that it would result in replacement of the sweatband with its vintage information, but fortunately the liners were salvageable.

Thanks to all of you who share your knowledge here; we newbies are reading and learning from you, and squandering our kids' inheritance on hats!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Love the Borsalino!! I'm thinning my collection considerably-and will send
a couple of the best I'm left with out to Optimo...also means I'm parting with around 20 or so hats! lots of photos to take; big undertaking, but needs doing, so's I can have just a few that look like yours. Great hat, great job:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld