Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRYING to spend my money locally!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'd need to be a hell of a lot better off to be able to afford to buy American.... fortunately there are equivalent or better quality items available here much more cheaply. When it comes to locally made goods, I don't care to spend more than I can afford to "support" the country in which I live.

Heck, Edward, when I lived in England I couldn't see how my neighbors could afford to live in their own country! To my eyes it seemed that everything was priced similarly to the US, but with the £ instead of the $ in front of it. That would be OK, but for the exchange rate difference that meant the price was 150% or more higher than I'd pay for the same thing in the US or on base. We military were lucky in that we had the Base Exchange and the Commissary for most of our shopping. I did pop into the local shops in my village as well, though.

Regards,
Tom

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It is not always easy to find a good deal in a price comparison to some of the larger chain stores to some smaller private owned ones. And at times both places may have many of the same items from the same source/manufacturer of the items. But to try to keep what you spend local, is more to me than simply not spending money at wally world to avoid buying from a china based market.

Some small businesses could go under rapidly if they do not have the volume of sales/customers to keep them open. That is important to me, so I will buy from them as much as I can.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is not always easy to find a good deal in a price comparison to some of the larger chain stores to some smaller private owned ones. And at times both places may have many of the same items from the same source/manufacturer of the items. But to try to keep what you spend local, is more to me than simply not spending money at wally world to avoid buying from a china based market.

Some small businesses could go under rapidly if they do not have the volume of sales/customers to keep them open. That is important to me, so I will buy from them as much as I can.

There are two advantages to these places: A. they carry goods (often on request) that we want to buy and B. once they get to know you they can sometimes get you deals.

One of the reasons I try to shop smaller places is that they are the only ones controlling the prices on the bigger guys. I've seen it happen again and again- the big stores undercut the little guys and drive them out- then the big stores can charge whatever they want.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There are two advantages to these places: A. they carry goods (often on request) that we want to buy and B. once they get to know you they can sometimes get you deals.

One of the reasons I try to shop smaller places is that they are the only ones controlling the prices on the bigger guys. I've seen it happen again and again- the big stores undercut the little guys and drive them out- then the big stores can charge whatever they want.

Very true. I have used several distributors that are local and non chain for both of my businesses for materials and supplies. They not only are now my friends, they make sure what I would need and delivery takes place without any problems.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I went out the other evening to look for a nice quality omelet pan. Something made anywhere other than red China. I checked out World Market first, with no luck, then headed to Bed Bath and Beyond. I was drawn to the Calphalon stuff because of the name and reputation, and also it had a quality look and feel, but alas, as I fully expected,...."Made in China" was printed on the label. :mmph:
So after searching the entire kitchen section, I finally found one though! High quality, with a lifetime guarantee, by a company called Tramontina. Not as shiny as the Chinese stuff, but who cares. Price was right in the middle of the range too, and less expensive than most of the other big name stuff I saw.
I think that eventually though, the Chinese manufacturing capacity will stall, with this result: https://www.bcgperspectives.com/content/articles/manufacturing_supply_chain_management_made_in_america_again/

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I've always told my friends that if I could, I would choose to buy only American made products (true American made products), especially products made here in California to boost our state economy. It is extremely difficult to do that now, especially if you are on a budget. I can't count how many times I have picked something up and the words "made in China" was printed on the back of something. It's very seriously depressing.

Since I do jewelry, I also find that finding quality jewelry making supplies made here are also difficult to find. If I couldn't find the jewelry pliers that I need made here, I always try to buy at least the more expensive German made pliers if I can help it.

Clothes are terrible. There have been times where I picked up something that was made here, but the quality of the shirt was almost as bad as something that was made in China. Makes me wonder if it was really made from here. I had heard many years ago that just because something says it is made here, doesn't mean that it was made in the States. It could be made in a US territory and still be declared as "Made in the USA".

I told my friend one day that it's kind of ironic that many decades ago, you could buy something made in Hong Kong and it was considered to be something special. "Wow, this came from China!" Now, if you see something "made in China", it means something completely different. Cheaply made, greed, and junk.

BTW, the last product I purchased was a vintage mesh purse that I believe is from the 1920s or 1930s. Where was it made? Germany! lol!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I went out the other evening to look for a nice quality omelet pan. Something made anywhere other than red China. I checked out World Market first, with no luck, then headed to Bed Bath and Beyond. I was drawn to the Calphalon stuff because of the name and reputation, and also it had a quality look and feel, but alas, as I fully expected,...."Made in China" was printed on the label. :mmph:
So after searching the entire kitchen section, I finally found one though! High quality, with a lifetime guarantee, by a company called Tramontina. Not as shiny as the Chinese stuff, but who cares. Price was right in the middle of the range too, and less expensive than most of the other big name stuff I saw.
I think that eventually though, the Chinese manufacturing capacity will stall, with this result: https://www.bcgperspectives.com/content/articles/manufacturing_supply_chain_management_made_in_america_again/
I have that problem too, trying to find something NOT made in China. Actually I did. I found a stir fry/wok pan today at a restaurant supply place in town (locally owned for 60yrs!). I found nothing about it being made in China. A wok not made in China? Well that just isn't right, but I'll take it and I did...:D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have that problem too, trying to find something NOT made in China. Actually I did. I found a stir fry/wok pan today at a restaurant supply place in town (locally owned for 60yrs!). I found nothing about it being made in China. A wok not made in China? Well that just isn't right, but I'll take it and I did...:D
I also checked out the local Walmart for a large stock pot. Again most of the stuff was from the commies in China, however I did find a large 21 quart with a lid that is just the ticket for making soups like I wanted. A whole line of blue porcelain cookware in fact, with several sizes of sauce pans and such. Don't recall the name of the company as I didn't get it that time.
But if one takes the time to look, there are still a few options that are made here and elsewhere other than red China.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I remember when Wal-Marts first began opening up around the country. They made sure to let everyone know that they sold only products made in the USA. Heck, you couldn't even find Fuji film there......

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
You doing so alone makes no difference at all - you're right. That said, if you find a source of, say, all American peanut butter, and it tastes good, you can let your friends know. If it's reasonable to do so, I suspect almost anybody would opt to support locally produced products. In my case, (and I don't like the taste of chocolate), I've been buying people Equal Exchange chocolate that's fairly traded and produced by worker-cooperatives rather than slave labor and sweatshops. Lizzie says, "Pick your battles," and she's right - at least as far as making an impact goes. Sun Tzu said if you try to defend everywhere at the same time, you'll be weak everywhere. That's how I do it, anyway. Since I want to have a cafe some day, picking my battles in that sphere seemed natural.

Do you own a mobile phone? Products made by Apple?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I recently bought a new "Coach" handbag and most of them are now made in China (without lowering the price.)

There is a certain hypocrisy with the "buy local" movement where I live. The shops who joined those collectives and have the "buy local" signs on their shop windows do not usually buy local themselves. Why should I buy from a locally owned mom and pop who is buying from China when I can go to my locally owned chain that offers goods from local vendors? There ARE some who are living as close to that principal and practice as much as they are able and I do shop there.

I buy locally grown produce over imported when I am able.

I will not pay $1 more for a jar of peanut butter at a local health food store when I can buy the same product online or at a big box store for less simply to have the money go to that owner's pocket.

A few years ago I tried to buy 100% made in the USA. Impossible! Then I tried 80%. Couldn't do it! So that's another reason to go to yard sales- many vintage items are made in the USA and you are keeping your dollar local.

Incidentally, I make and sell a product that is 100% made in the USA, materials included.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit that I buy a lot from Joseph A Bank.
Their quality is great, but I'm giving my money to another country, or island!
Over the holidays I plan on shopping in town to find a store that carries items made in the US.
Of course I've still got the internet, so I can shop from my recliner.
No lines, no screaming kids, nobody coughing or wiping their nose on their sleeve. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I will not pay $1 more for a jar of peanut butter at a local health food store when I can buy the same product online or at a big box store for less simply to have the money go to that owner's pocket.

I've heard a somewhat similar argument for store brands. Even though many (not all) store brands are cheaper; more of the profit ends up in the pockets of a single entity than if you purchase a name-brand item. In the case of a name brand item that profit is spread between the store, brand, and manufacturer/ producer rather than just the producer and store. One gentleman I knew thought that the stores get enough profit, and he wanted to spend slightly more to spread the profit around by buying name brand items.

I'd never heard this perspective before I met him.

Akahige

New in Town
I try to buy locally when I can, but at the very least, I support individual craftsmen around the country. As a maker of leather goods myself, it's really important to persuade people how much more quality they can get for their money by buying from an individual maker.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I just read an article on the revival of a woolen blanket factory in Minnesota, that after having been closed for two years, was bought and reopened by two local men. They are only taking pre-orders right now, but it looks like they're almost up and weaving again.

The company:Faribault Woolen Mill Co.
http://faribaultmill.com/index.php

The article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45169565/ns/nightly_news/#.Trc_TbL4J6Q

I need to take a look, but I think I have a couple of these blankets. I know they've been in use in my family for over 50 years, and if this is the company that made them, I can say they are the warmest, best wearing blankets I've ever slept under.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lest we forget that the USA was the China of the 40s. We manufactured tons upon tons of stuff that was sent out all over the world. China is where we were now.

That being said, there is a global market that has taught consumers (especially American ones) that they should expect the best quality from the cheapest product.

I look through my Sears catalogs often and marvel at the 'good', 'better', 'best' lines of shoes, shirts, slacks, etc. The honesty of 'this is better quality that's why it costs more,' is lost today. It's either dollar store, or haute couture.

My buying habits have changed drastically. I know I can't buy 100% American, and I do look for as many American made or partially made products I can. But I buy for quality first and foremost.

WalMarts in most other countries are not like ones here. Workers are organized, local products are on shelves. The business model isn't as it is here. Its more palatable.

LD

Pompidou

One Too Many
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...Enthusiastic-opening-for-Community-Store.html

This showed up in my Facebook today because my lender only lends to these sort of socially conscious cooperative enterprises. Talk about buying locally - a whole bunch of townspeople in a small town in New York worked together to open a community owned store. Seems exactly like what everyone here would like. Shame it's not more widespread. Kudos to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe