Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRYING to spend my money locally!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My issue with big chains is when they start becoming something totally different than the way they started. Am I wrong or didn't Walmart advertise that they sold things only made in America? Now you're lucky to find anything made here.

That is true, there was not so long ago, a special on the Television about the life of Sam Walton. He himself told of how he wanted to buy and sell clothing only made in the USA to try to help support the dying textile industry here in the USA. I cannot figure out what happened? He had a great idea and vision, but it fell apart for sure!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I was stationed on a Mine Hunter ten years ago and the hull design was British, the sonar was made in France, the engines were made in Italy and the propellers were made in Germany. A good concept on paper but in practice….

Most minesweepers are indeed a variety of complex components, but they do a good job for a fleet, for sure!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
While the choices are kinda blah, a lot of the food products and toiletries for sale there are made in the states. It's just something like a weed wacker for instance that isn't, but how often these days does that stuff have an American made label?

Remember when you could find a new television or ANY electronics that were made in the states? While American made doesn't always = quality, paying more for something dubbed as higher end means nothing. Sony comes to mind.

Chain stores weren't a bad thing until they dumped competitive locally made products as well as the brands sold at these places selling out their name and integrity to make cheaper stuff overseas. It's the opposite of progress. Noone is progressing from this besides the people at the top of the companies.
While the ultimate goal of a company/corporation is $$$. It's coming back to bite them in the @@@ all these years later when people can't afford to buy their stuff in relation to the economy.

+1

Pompidou

One Too Many
More-so than the quality difference, buying American means you're not rewarding the exploitation of poor people in countries lacking reasonable labor laws. There's a bit of good conscience in it. That said, because of the rarity, "Made in America" does bring a higher level of quality, because it's occupying a premium niche market and isn't trying to compete in price.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
More-so than the quality difference, buying American means you're not rewarding the exploitation of poor people in countries lacking reasonable labor laws. There's a bit of good conscience in it. That said, because of the rarity, "Made in America" does bring a higher level of quality, because it's occupying a premium niche market and isn't trying to compete in price.

That is so very true. I can recall when you could buy a real pair of Levi 501's made in the USA, they lasted for such a good long time, I still have one pair from about 1967....now the majority of them are made some place else and are junky.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well one thing for sure, if anyone wants to spend some money and make sure it does not go to those places like China or to just keep it in the USA, P.M. me and you can send it to me! I will gladly take all cash, money orders, pay pal, coin, gold, silver, even dental gold and fine silverewares! lol!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I also try to spend locally, or at least buy things made in this country. This is no easy task these days! Even proudly Canadian/US companies are having most items made in China. Often hidden as 'PRC', as they think we won't realize that is Peoples Republic of China! I'm also tried of the 'designed in Italy' and then in small letters 'made in China.'

Gone are the days where I could buy most food items, clothes, household items made within this country. It's getting difficult to even buy US made items these days. Boos!

One of the many great advantages of buying vintage, you can find so many items that were made in your own country! I was just looking at a 50s glamour doll I have. She was made right here! ;0
X
BD

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
That is so very true. I can recall when you could buy a real pair of Levi 501's made in the USA, they lasted for such a good long time, I still have one pair from about 1967....now the majority of them are made some place else and are junky.

My best jeans are actually Italian, at the moment. They cost me a relative fortune, but they get me the most compliments. They're definitely not work jeans. I could be wrong, but I think you pay a premium for how they age over time. The only difference in price points on the jeans I have are that the expensive ones shrink less and discolor nicer, if that makes any sense. Durability is a moot point all around. Fortunately I don't work hard.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My best jeans are actually Italian, at the moment. They cost me a relative fortune, but they get me the most compliments. They're definitely not work jeans. I could be wrong, but I think you pay a premium for how they age over time. The only difference in price points on the jeans I have are that the expensive ones shrink less and discolor nicer, if that makes any sense. Durability is a moot point all around. Fortunately I don't work hard.

True I have a few pair from there also, versace, valentino, and some other brand I don't recall, but now even some of those brand names get items from non Italian sources.

Bally shoes are a good example on how name brands buy from all over for their product being made and their label being put on them. However at least Bally does not use anything from China....they do other places but not there yet....!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One thing I can agree with 110% is supporting the little guy
Today I faxed the liquor list for my last party over to the little guy's liquor store in my neighborhood for pricing. I had purchased the liquor at Walgreen's which is situated a block away from the little guy. Walgreen's charged $467.34; little guy sent me a quote for $574.27.......Would you really give the little guy the extra $106.93?

That said, I do patronise the little guy for some of their high end stuff that Walgreen's doesn't carry

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Today I faxed the liquor list for my last party over to the little guy's liquor store in my neighborhood for pricing. I had purchased the liquor at Walgreen's which is situated a block away from the little guy. Walgreen's charged $467.34; little guy sent me a quote for $574.27.......Would you really give the little guy the extra $106.93?

That said, I do patronise the little guy for some of their high end stuff that Walgreen's doesn't carry

I hate shopping with the "big guys" too, but when you have a lot to buy, the difference in price between the big guys & the little guys really does make a difference to where I shop. I know underselling is a market tactic to draw buyers away from small businesses, but when you're talking almost $100 difference on a grocery bill, it's a hard call to stick with the smaller businesses.

Last edited:

rue

I hate shopping with the "big guys" too, but when you have a lot to buy, the difference in price between the big guys & the little guys really does make a difference to where I shop. I know underselling is a market tactic to draw buyers away from small businesses, but when you're talking almost $100 difference on a grocery bill, it's a hard call to stick with the smaller businesses.

I understand what both of you are saying, but it's about supporting our country (or your country ... Canada, Australia, etc) and bringing the money back to us (you). The reason why the big chains can charge so little is because of the cheap labor (children) in countries like China or the money goes to that country to make that country even more powerful, in the case of buying liquor. I will not support that even if it is cheaper. Sometimes there isn't a choice, but I try very hard not to do it.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Geez, perhaps having smaller parties? lol!

I could buy thousands of dollars worth of fixtures, wiring harnesses, rubber grommets, nuts, bolts, a list a mile long if I wanted to purchase from an outside the USA source, daily, for my manufacturing business, at a cheaper price than buying from USA oriented suppliers. I buy from the USA and perhaps the little guy.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
I understand what both of you are saying, but it's about supporting our country (or your country ... Canada, Australia, etc) and bringing the money back to us (you). The reason why the big chains can charge so little is because of the cheap labor (children) in countries like China or the money goes to that country to make that country even more powerful, in the case buying liquor. I will not support that even if it is cheaper. Sometimes there isn't a choice, but I try very hard not to do it.

Same here, as best I can.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I agree with you, but (as you said) sometimes people don't have a choice.

In my case both of the largest supermarket chains here are wholly Australian owned. Where possible I do try to buy Australian products (though think about it, in terms of "green miles" it's more eco for me to buy products from China than the US). Though there are some Australian companies whose industrial relations history are so bad I would never buy from them (which is a pity because one company makes the best chocolate you've ever had in your life).

rue

I agree with you, but (as you said) sometimes people don't have a choice.

In my case both of the largest supermarket chains here are wholly Australian owned. Where possible I do try to buy Australian products (though think about it, in terms of "green miles" it's more eco for me to buy products from China than the US). Though there are some Australian companies whose industrial relations history are so bad I would never buy from them (which is a pity because one company makes the best chocolate you've ever had in your life).

Oooo... chocolate.... mind if I ask who?? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld