Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie with Chamois Shirt -- good look?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I was getting dressed to go out to a casual dinner tonight and I put on a fairly heavy LL Bean grey chamois shirt with two pockets, black Levis 501's, a black leather belt and black hiking boots.

As I was waiting for my wife to finish getting ready, I buttoned the top button on the shirt, knotted a black wool tie and stuffed the end into the shirt like US Soldiers did during WWII. I wasn't sure if it looked OK or not but my wife liked it so I wore it that way. I got some looks at dinner.

Is this look somehow verboten?

MelancholicNostalgic

New in Town
Interestingly enough, I recently had a very similar look, for an event I was working.
I was wearing a black silk tie tucked into a yellowish/sand chamois shirt, with some vintage-styled herringbone trousers, brown-belt, and brown desert boots (*usually when wearing a black tie, I would wear belt/shoes of the same colour, but most unfortunately I currently don't have a pair of black shoes). Per my own personal sartorial rules, I will not wear a tie unless I have accompany it with a jacket/vest, so I wore a vest as well, and topped it off with my hat.

I thought it turned out well enough, although you can judge for yourself from the photo.

I did get some looks, though I think it was due more to the fact that somebody was actually wearing a tie and a hat, more than anything else. If anything, I got some general compliments, which is always appreciated.

Screen shot 2015-08-29 at 11.37.22 PM.jpg

On a side note: Tucking in the tie is highly practical for dinner/meals, so as to lessen the chance of dirtying your tie.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think it's fine. I also tuck my ties into the shirt, like the soldiers did, while eating. It works best with my shorter ties, while my longer ones may be effectively flipped back over my shoulder. As for the shirt itself, I don't find a problem with wearing a double-pocket shirt and a tie. The black wool tie is a look that seems to fit in well.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds grand to me. I tend to have an aversion to pairing a four in hand with jeans, but that's purely to personal taste (and black is a whole different look than indigo). Sounds like a classic workingman vintage look. As to tucking the tie in, I think it works well with square-ended knit ties in similar shape and dimension to those worn by the US Army (and others) in that period. Tucking it in hid the rough / fluffy end. I like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld