Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tick-Tick-Ticka-Ticka-DING! If you love your typewriter.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Royal Model 10 here, and an Underwood portable. Learned to type on my mother's Corona, took two years of typing in high school, used a Royal Double-H manual all thru my radio career, and still type my personal correspondence. About 65 wpm, last time I checked myself.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In school, I learned on an electric typewriter, but at home, I used my mom's manual typewriter to write my short stories. I'm at 100 wpm on the computer keyboard now.

I love old typewriters, though, and if I had the room, I would start collecting them, especially since writing is my profession. :)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I would love a typewriter, and often find neat ones in thrift shops around. But where oh where to get ribbons for them? I've done a few searches on typewriters I've found, and can't ever find sources for ribbons... so I pass up the machines sadly.

How do you keep yours typing?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You can get generic ribbons at Staples or Office Depot or most other big office-supply stores -- and then wind them onto your own spools, if the generic spools don't fit. You may get your fingers a bit dirty in the process, but if you can't find the exact replacements you need, it's worth the effort.

If you want exact replacements, you can still get ribbons with the correct spools to fit most popular makes here.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Thanks, Lizzie. It honestly never occurred to me to wind ribbon onto other spools. Makes no end of sense! Thanks for the links. I'll get back on the look-out then!

I, too, learned to type the "old-fashioned" way on a big heavy manual typewriter (class held in the basement of my school... those suckers weren't quiet!). We even learned how to fold up our covers correctly and place them neatly in the top drawer. Why aren't people as uptight about covering computers as we used to be about covering typewriters? 'twould make sense, one thinks...

Cobden

Practically Family
I have an Imperial Good Companion Model T Portable (1939) and a 1917 Underwood - can't remember the model. The Underwood I don't really use, as it uses underside keys (so you can't see what you're typing) as well as having an odd, Edmonton style ribbon which I'm sure is irreplaceable.

The Imperial, though, is sitting right next to me. Largely due to it being easier to use that then try to get a belligerent printer to under concepts such as "labels" and "envelopes"

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I found a gorgeous Smith and Corona on ebay this summer for $100 - no competitive bids, either. However, despite multiple messages, the seller couldn't tell me the working condition (how difficult is it to see if all the keys work?). I decided to take the chance and bid, but unfortunately, I just missed it. I shot her another message saying that although I had missed the deadline, I was still interested (still no competition, mind you). I received no reply, but later that day, she did put the item up for bid again...for $160.

...Currently have my eye on a Royal that just came into town...

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
They just sold that Royal out from under me for $65. I walked into the shop right as they were writing up the sales receipt. I'm having the worst luck with typewriters this year : (

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Found a Royal 10 at an antique store this last weekend for $40. In perfect working order. Needs a little oiling but is in tip top shape. I just couldn't pass it up at that price, and couldn't be sure if that price was correct. Thing really weighs a ton. It was a workout just carring it to the car.
I need to do a little more research on the searial number and I'll have a better idea of how old it is. Will post some pics when I can.

Cheers!

Dan

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Royal 10s are the definitive typewriter -- the peak of the technology. Everything that came after it was just a variation on the theme. The only vulnerable point on them is the rubber parts -- the paper feed rollers and bail rollers, the platen, and the feet. All these parts turn up on eBay from time to time, so if you need any it's worth keeping an eye out.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the heads-up Lizzie. Well, a little investigation on the serial number (SY-37-115172) dates it at 1932. It doesn't have the glass sides anymore but metal plates put in place when it was refurbished (Like-Nu) by Regal Precision Typewriters. It appears to be the plates from a KHM model. There is a label on it telling who refurbished it but not when. All the rubber parts are in pristine condition, rollers, feet & all. for $40 I think I struck gold.

In looking in many antique malls I've seen lesser condition typewriters priced for 4 times as much. That's why I was so surprised at the price tag on it. It had only arrived in the shop three days earlier too.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, here is at least one pic of my recent prize.
100_7228.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael