Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

There's likely nothing humanity has constructed within the last hundred years or so that will still be standing five thousand years hence, with the possible exception of the heads on Mount Rushmore. All of modern man's works were constructed by the lowest bidder.

That is probably the greatest accomplishment of the engineering feats of the Egyptians. Through earthquakes and floods they are still standing.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
but the Master Mason was sure that if they continued to work it would reach that level in a short time.

Yeah, 4600 years.

Technology may be developed fast but master craftsmen also die in one generation of when the technology stops being used. I do not do megalithic work, but I do precision machine work and there are very few people left that can micro-balance a motor without a computer. It would be a rough learning curve if someone needed to learn to interpret the sound by ear again. It was done before and could be done again, but it is more likely something else will be done. We do not have anyone who can weld battleship armor plates but we have ceramic armor plates today.

Technology may be developed fast but master craftsmen also die in one generation of when the technology stops being used. I do not do megalithic work, but I do precision machine work and there are very few people left that can micro-balance a motor without a computer. It would be a rough learning curve if someone needed to learn to interpret the sound by ear again. It was done before and could be done again, but it is more likely something else will be done. We do not have anyone who can weld battleship armor plates but we have ceramic armor plates today.

And we can build shoddy buildings today too.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
And we can build shoddy buildings today too.
Because they didn't use geometry :eusa_doh:

I do hope that few will last an be looked at as marvels of engineering. We do have a few brilliant people who are allowed to work to high standards.

(Note that I did say a few.)

I think you've gone insane, jp.;) This is absurd.

Have you never BEEN to Vegas?

We can't build like that today---no matter what we use. Take the Great Pyramid. You cannot duplicate the outside surface stones cut within 1/100th of an inch of perfectly straight and at nearly perfect right angles for all six sides. The are intentionally spaced 2/100ths of an inch apart. If modern technology can place a 20 ton stone with greater accuracy then I want to see it. They can't.
I am sure NOVA didn't come close---certainly not with a 20 ton stone.
Notice I used inches and not millimeters.:p

Looks like somebody flunked geometry. :p

800px-Fed_Square.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82