Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

That's the exact thing I did, plus accounting. I took Accounting, because it was a math credit and I thought I'd be good at it, because I'm good with money. Not so, I just got more frustrated. It didn't help the teacher didn't like me.

I took Algebra I and II and Geometry - I stopped at that. It was pure torture.

While we're on the subject of mathematics teachers, my final maths teacher at high school - I endured him for 3 horrid years - had this terrible old didactic teaching style, the culmination of which was to send people to the blackboard to make them solve a problem (looking back, not too difficult problems). At the first sign of a mistake, he would jump up with a wide grin on his face and scream: "Ha! Shot you down in Flames!!". Again, a teacher taking great pride in, and gloating about, knowing more about his chosen subject than the ordinary 14-year-old. Sad, really.

Apparently things are much better at that school with the current crop of teachers actually learning something about critical thinking, classroom psychology and pedagogy.

Ask my dad how well I understood geometry - I used to spend many a night in tears because I could NOT get it. He, as a carpenter and incredibly intelligent individual, couldn't understand why I was having so many problems. I took Algebra I and II and Geometry - I stopped at that. It was pure torture.

I experienced that one year in High School. Half way through the year my math teacher retired and we were transfered to a much younger teacher who couldn't teach worth a damn. My grades showed the difference. What a frustrating time.:eusa_doh::mad:

What sealed my hatred of math was my seventh-grade teacher, who had the habit of leaning over your shoulder to explain a problem and you could feel his eyes looking down your blouse. One memorable day every girl in the class wore a turtleneck, and suddenly he wasn't quite so "helpful."

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I never learned my multiplication tables and I was marginal at addition and subtraction until I started learning algebra. Geometry was a little slow because I had trouble breaking the proofs down to one step at a time. Trig and calculus is when it all made sense.

Ok genius, what do you use Geometry for every day.

Anytime you move you are really doing qualitative geometric calculations without realizing it. The concepts are used even if you do not need tocrunch the numbers or draw diagrams to see that you can walk along a barbed wire fence and not touch it or that you can cut across a room quicker than walking along one wall to the corner then turning and walking along the other wall. Those are about the most basic concepts. Backing into a parking place takes a bit more geometry.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I can't diagram a sentence - especially left handed ones.

Even if you can't diagram a sentence anymore you can write in complete sentences. Many younger people are not learning that today.
Your proven ability to use the language shows that the learning tool worked.
You no longer need to be able to diagram the sentence because you can develop the structure in your head.

Many of the tedious parts of education in the past were teaching skills that seem instinctive once they are learned.

Anytime you move you are really doing qualitative geometric calculations without realizing it. The concepts are used even if you do not need tocrunch the numbers or draw diagrams to see that you can walk along a barbed wire fence and not touch it or that you can cut across a room quicker than walking along one wall to the corner then turning and walking along the other wall. Those are about the most basic concepts. Backing into a parking place takes a bit more geometry.

All of those are common sense. I don't have to stop and draw it out on paper. lol

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I can see the helping kids in school thing but I could do all of the other things without geometry.

How could a structure be built without geometry? If there were no angles, flat surfaces, curves, area, or volume there would be no end product. Without the concept of geometry how would you even conceive that there needed to be space for the chickens to need a chicken coop.
The calculations from a geometry class may not always be needed but the relational principles are still used. Some of the principles may have also been learned through other sources but the ones that were learned in a geometry class seem instinctual once you know them.

How could a structure be built without geometry? If there were no angles, flat surfaces, curves, area, or volume there would be no end product. Without the concept of geometry how would you even conceive that there needed to be space for the chickens to need a chicken coop.The calculations from a geometry class may not always be needed but the relational principles are still used. Some of the principles may have also been learned through other sources but the ones that were learned in a geometry class seem instinctual once you know them.
You've never seen Powers' house???

crooked-house.jpg

Did it all by himself - not using a bit of that pesky maff! lol

Last edited:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
All of those are common sense. I don't have to stop and draw it out on paper.
If you learned the concept it would not need to be drawn out on paper. Drawing things out on paper is just to record the things that you have worked out already.

Many kids write one long sentence like this without any awareness of periods or punctuation of any kind I don't know why I just cant figure it out I cant understand it it doesnt make any sense does anyone know whats going on with this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82