Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I feel the same way, personally. I once asked my husband what he'd think and if he'd be offended if I made more than him: significantly more (which I don't, and probably won't ever, but that is due to my career choice). He stared at me for a minute and said, "We'd have more money. How is that a bad thing???!!!?? Who'd be upset about MORE MONEY???" For the education, well, I think that people should be proud of their partner if they have more degrees than them. They know how much work they take.

My wife was just hired by my company at a salary higher than mine. It's been a serious blow to my fragile male ego! :eeek: Oh, and she's had her Masters for about 7 years now, and I won't finish mine until December. I'm having a hard time dealing with that, as well. :eusa_doh:

Weeeellll... maybe not. :D I'm actually very pleased that she's finally been able to get back into a field she loves (Financial Aid) and for a great company. Besides, if my bruised ego needs a salve I can always point out to her that I will always outrank her (she's a retired Tech Sergeant/E-6 and I'm a retired SMSgt/E-8.) ;)

But as your husband says, how is more money a bad thing? And what kind of idiot wouldn't take pride in their wife's accomplishments? Well, my wife's first husband was that kind of idiot, so we know they're out there--and an insecure lot they are!!!

Cheers,
Tom

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But as your husband says, how is more money a bad thing? And what kind of idiot wouldn't take pride in their wife's accomplishments? Well, my wife's first husband was that kind of idiot, so we know they're out there--and an insecure lot they are!!!

Cheers,
Tom

Congratulations to your wife on her new job and to you on almost being done with your Masters! :eusa_clap

While I can understand the attitude that your wife's ex has in older generations (like for instance, the WWII generation where men were raised that their primary goal was to provide for their family and women were raised to expect this), it has always suprised me that this attitude still exists, even among younger people today. My friend who has had trouble with this sort of thing lives in Seattle, and she's dating men about age 25-35. She is not dating the ultra-socially-conservative type of men either (she works in politics and is a liberal and wouldn't think of dating someone who isn't a "political and social progressive"- her words.) Now she has run into men who don't think this way, but she has dated quite a few who do have these attitudes. And in her discussions with people, she's found quite a few women who think this way too, in that same age range.

Something just doesn't add up to me- most of my friends growing up had divorced parents, and lived with their moms (who of course worked). For my generation, the divorce rate of parents (and being raised by a single parent) was very high. It is not like these individuals my friend is dating all grew up in families where the father was the sole or major source of support. Perhaps, though, their experiences with their own childhood made them think the man should have this responsibility, I don't know.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd be happy if I met a woman with such a successful career and I'd just be a stay at home dad and do my restorations on the side.

My wife was just hired by my company at a salary higher than mine. It's been a serious blow to my fragile male ego! :eeek: Oh, and she's had her Masters for about 7 years now, and I won't finish mine until December. I'm having a hard time dealing with that, as well. :eusa_doh:

Weeeellll... maybe not. :D I'm actually very pleased that she's finally been able to get back into a field she loves (Financial Aid) and for a great company. Besides, if my bruised ego needs a salve I can always point out to her that I will always outrank her (she's a retired Tech Sergeant/E-6 and I'm a retired SMSgt/E-8.) ;)

Cheers,
Tom

martinsantos

Practically Family
A funny comment i got this weekend by three kids (around 15 y.o.), two boys and a girl. I was shooting around with my camera, a Leica from 1953. Of course it uses film, and it's always loaded with B&W film. They came to talk with me about, asked if it uses film, when it was produced and so on. I answered. They finished the talk saying that using film and an old camera is "very cool!! You're fighting the system!!!"

Looks to me interesting because shows: 1) interest in different things; 2) they think it's beautiful to want a different world; 3) that to them everything must have a fighting reason. Maybe it's the unconsious answer from this generation about what they see around. Or maybe I'm just thinking too much about - who knows?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A funny comment i got this weekend by three kids (around 15 y.o.), two boys and a girl. I was shooting around with my camera, a Leica from 1953. Of course it uses film, and it's always loaded with B&W film. They came to talk with me about, asked if it uses film, when it was produced and so on. I answered. They finished the talk saying that using film and an old camera is "very cool!! You're fighting the system!!!"

That does seem to me to be an odd response to a film camera being used instead of a digital one. What system do they think you are fighting?

The typical response I've had from younger children when I've taken a photograph of them with a film camera is for them to run up and demand to see it, trying to turn the back of the camera to them they way they do with digital cameras. They have a hard time grasping the idea of not being able to see themselves immediately!

Cheers,
Tom

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I ran into this a couple weeks ago -- I was shooting some 8mm footage of a crowd outside the theatre for a project I'm working on, and some kids were astonished by my camera (a Cine-Kodak 20 from 1934.) They couldn't understand the whine of the motor, and were utterly dumbstruck when I paused to *wind it up.* I didn't try to explain the concept of home-movie-film itself for fear they'd implode.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
That does seem to me to be an odd response to a film camera being used instead of a digital one. What system do they think you are fighting?

The typical response I've had from younger children when I've taken a photograph of them with a film camera is for them to run up and demand to see it, trying to turn the back of the camera to them they way they do with digital cameras. They have a hard time grasping the idea of not being able to see themselves immediately!

Cheers,
Tom

I find it extraordinary how much smaller generation gaps are becoming. I'm only seventeen and I remember seeing digital cameras and thinking they were the most amazing thing. Now, younger kids don't know life without them.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
One thing I cant stand with the current generation of kids is how they pronounce th as f for example birthday becomes birfday..oh how I HATE that! I also cant stand how alot of the younger generation are using text language in their written work

martinsantos

Practically Family
Tom, they think I'm fighting the whole stabilishment - all "the system". Maybe they believe in an analog photo conspiracy theory... :eeek:

Cheers,
Tom

I was doing some paperwork today, and a co-worker/close friend who graduated high school the same year as me, was sitting there with this astonished look on his face. I asked him what was up, to which he replied "You can write in Cursive?" I was then astonished, as I write everything in cursive and here someone who went to the same school as me had no clue how to.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I can't even write or read cursive all that well, myself... that's one of those things I'll have to revisit someday, if for the sake of keeping the art alive. My last name is just about all I know how to properly write, pretty sad but true.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While I cannot boast any sort of actual knowledge of cursive beyond my name, one thing that I do hold highly is a proper understanding of my nation's history, at least on a pretty basic level; the Revolutionary War, Civil War, the World Wars, etc... It's sad that there are quite a number of people out there that only know enough to have heard of these events, rather than understand their significance to the character of the United States. I'm actually planning to major in history, through my university education, so this is of interest to me, although I do wonder what I may do with it. I plan on writing, if anything, and perhaps if possible I may try to pursue some sort of role to play in uncovering a little bit of the world's history if I can.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Good on you The Good I like history as well and took it through all my high school years. it is sad that quite a number of people dont know that much about the history of their country, but I guess not everyone is interested in history huh...their loss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82