Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Fedora thing might be catchin' on after all

citRon

A-List Customer
I was just at Target. They have a selection of -are you ready for this- Fedoras. Yes, that's right. Now were not talking fur felts here; they had a couple tweeds, plaid fabrics and somekind of grassy fiber, all stingy brims, but they were technically Fedoras!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
and Wal-mart had those same kind of stingy's last year...but anything is good to promote the wearing of dress hats again!:eusa_clap :D

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Definitely agreed! Hatz is hatz. If it gets folks wearing 'em, I'm all for it. Won't be long before they're no longer satisfied with modern production hats and moving on to vintage, or even custom.

Then again, maybe I'm just a dreamer. lol Either way, it's a nice trend, no matter where it comes from.

-Tofu

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Frock coats, spats, and pince-nez are surely next

They do seem to becoming commoner of late, even though they are leagues away from their lost ubiquity. I saw five men, only one of whom was elderly, wearing fedoras during the three quarters of an hour that I spent in the dingy basement that they dare to call Pennsylvania Station last Friday morning, then three more at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia. I suppose that fashion might cease to leave my hat stranded and alone in crowds for a little while.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Waitaminute...

since when are spats not "in"?
I wear 'em and Johnny Depp was spotted in a pair last year.

What's holding you guys up? Get with the times, man!

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Target got me started

Target got me started wearin' fedoras two summers ago. I picked up a cheap paper straw fedora and wore it all last summer. It absorbed all the sun, rain and sweat I could throw at it, and by the end of the summer it was thoroughly trashed and I had no problems throwing it away. But then I missed wearing the hat. So I bought a better straw hat; and a cheapo porkpie, then a Biltmore furfelt, and now I'm an addict.

Viper Man

Banned
AdmiralTofu said:
Definitely agreed! Hatz is hatz. If it gets folks wearing 'em, I'm all for it. Won't be long before they're no longer satisfied with modern production hats and moving on to vintage, or even custom...
-Tofu

Great! Just what we need, more competition at OFAS! :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen a few fedoras on campus this school year and not just in the mirror -- and keep in mind this is the worst-dressed of the "elite" universities in the nation ...

Feraud

Bartender
Fedoras have never really completely gone away. I have always seen fedoras in limited numbers at most department stores. People who thrift shop have generally had constant access to hats.

When the big boys like GQ and Esquire call for a comeback you can be sure your neighbor who looks at you oddly will eventually parade around the neighborhood in his fedora.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I have seen a few real fedoras, but it could also be that I just notice them now too.:eusa_doh: I do know that I see quite a few nice ivy's and occassional 8 panel caps on the younger folk.:)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
I have seen a few real fedoras, but it could also be that I just notice them now too.:eusa_doh: I do know that I see quite a few nice ivy's and occassional 8 panel caps on the younger folk.:)

Lots of 8-panel caps out here. The hip hoppers favor them.

citRon

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Not in my parts, The hip hoppers are as I call em thugs wear ball caps sideways and bandanas. If they wear a real cap it is Kangol and Kangol only.[huh]

Ditto here- ball caps with whatever team is currently the favor of the thugs in rap videos. Oh, and they wear them with the tags and stickers still on them-again just copying whatever the latest thug rapper is doing, like it's a new idea or something. One of these days I'm going to point that out to one of them by saying "Oh, I see you're a fan of Minnie Pearle!" just to watch the look of confusion on their face. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe