Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
CircuitRider said:

That makes me feel better. I've been collecting them for several years from thrift stores. About 2" looks best on me. Especially like the ones with small diamonds and such. I wear a 17 shirt and like then because they don't feel as tight around the neck with the smaller knot. Look good with my stingy brim Stetson Ivy League. Bought a pair of Tortouse Ray-ban Clubmasters yesterday. I love them, but my 20 year old daughter said I looked like a serial killer, Oh well...lol

...I would add, I had prescription Transition lenses put in them. Its funny, Sunglass hut didn't stock them a year ago, now they had about 6 pair.

Widebrim said:
I don't think Dacron is produced any longer. Dacron was introduced to the public in 1953; Kodel, Eastman Kodak's version, came out in 1958, and is harder to find. I have never hear of Troplite, though. What kind of texture does it resemble?

I'll try to steer this thread back to narrow ties (seeing how I steered it off course myself), but to answer your question: The fabric is smooth, light, sheeny. And it also apparently contains wool, as well as mohair and Dacron, as the label (I took another look at it) shows ...

IMGP1638.jpg

The inside of the other interior pocket has the union label that came into use in 1949, but I can't tell if it's the one they used through '62 or the one used from '63 through '76, because the portion of the label that has (or doesn't have) the circled R was covered by fabric when it was sewn in.

It's a pretty groovy suit, I think. Looks like something Kennedy might worn during his presidential tenure. Flat front pants, moderate lapel width, fairly trim fit.

As to the narrow ties -- I'm not a big fan of them, generally, but I have a few that work quite well with some of these late-'50s through mid-'60s suits and jackets that have been putting themselves in front of my eyes every time I turn around lately. I'm at a complete loss for an explanation for this phenomenon, by the way, but it seems that they're turning up even at the crummier thrift shops around here, and in sizes that fit me (or can be made to). I'm really diggin' the suits, especially the ones made during the earlier stretch of that time range, the ones that still have the high-waisted, full-legged, double-pleated pants.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I'm at a complete loss for an explanation for this phenomenon, by the way, but it seems that they're turning up even at the crummier thrift shops around here, and in sizes that fit me (or can be made to). I'm really diggin' the suits, especially the ones made during the earlier stretch of that time range, the ones that still have the high-waisted, full-legged, double-pleated pants.

Consider yourself fortunate! I tend to find sport coats (or coats that were once part of a suit) frequently from that time period. And I agree about the transition suits from the mid-'50s that still have the high waist and double-pleated pants (I have one so far).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
You can also (of course) find tons of them on eBay, but some that are listed as "vintage" are actually '80s examples, so you have to know how to distinguish between the two time periods. In addition, because of shipping costs, it is usually better to bid on lots rather than individual ties.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mohair & dacron

Widebrim said:
I don't think Dacron is produced any longer. Dacron was introduced to the public in 1953; Kodel, Eastman Kodak's version, came out in 1958, and is harder to find. I have never hear of Troplite, though. What kind of texture does it resemble?

IIRC, Dacron is a Dupont polyester. I think that sort of poly is more used to make plastic bottle nowadays, but I do recall reading that there is a Dacron fabric used in aviation, to cover planes. Hmm, maybe sailcloth too.

Im really not interested in polyester clothes, but a good Dacron labeled tie is nothing to sneeze at.

Black Mohair suit jackets...I'll have to check my label on mine, its a tropical lite weave as well. But I dont believe mine has any Dacron in it.

A lot of the tuff old fabrics like Mohair & Elastique were replaced by polyesters as it was cheaper & just as tough for hard wearing uniforms. Its hard to find any new elastique that doesnt have some polyester in it.

I recall seeing on History channel, that when movie stars started showing up for WWII service, their uniforms were often custom tailored tailored accesorized with nice high quality mohair ties. They had the money too look good, which seemed to suprise some of the older officers.

Widebrim said:
Okay, it's "tie-me" to bump this important thread! Here is a moderately-thin tie from the mid-'50s. It is pleated, and was made by Legath Cravats. (Sorry the photo didn't come out larger.)

th_CCF01082009_00002-1.jpg

That is a nice one. I ahve a couple myself. They really aren't that narrow when you come down to it. Ties got considerably slimmer than that. Look at the Desi example above. Now that is thin. [huh]
I have a ton of thin ties that I just can't get rid of. I couldn't sell a thin tie to save my life. ;) :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, admittedly not a real thin tie, but at 2 1/2" it qualifies none-the-less. It is a Wembley, feels like polyester, and the label indicates that it should be worn with a blue suit. Although hard to see in the small photo, the tie is dark red in background, with silver motifs.

th_CCF00272010_00004.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dacron still in clothes

Well here are some current pants made out of a DACRON wool blend in the Elastique weave which was so popular for WWII officer uniforms.

http://www.kyuniforms.com/UMSS.cfm?page=page-index.cfm&template_code=Product&product_ID=27&category=16

And Dacron ties from China
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/229197207/Dacron_printed_necktie.html
-bern

MrBern said:
IIRC, Dacron is a Dupont polyester. I think that sort of poly is more used to make plastic bottle nowadays, but I do recall reading that there is a Dacron fabric used in aviation, to cover planes. Hmm, maybe sailcloth too.

Im really not interested in polyester clothes, but a good Dacron labeled tie is nothing to sneeze at.

Black Mohair suit jackets...I'll have to check my label on mine, its a tropical lite weave as well. But I dont believe mine has any Dacron in it.

A lot of the tuff old fabrics like Mohair & Elastique were replaced by polyesters as it was cheaper & just as tough for hard wearing uniforms. Its hard to find any new elastique that doesnt have some polyester in it.

I recall seeing on History channel, that when movie stars started showing up for WWII service, their uniforms were often custom tailored tailored accesorized with nice high quality mohair ties. They had the money too look good, which seemed to suprise some of the older officers.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
PBM

Hey, by any chance, do you know what the label's PBM stands for?
My label is LUSTERLITE-luxury mohair tropical.

tonyb said:
I'll try to steer this thread back to narrow ties (seeing how I steered it off course myself), but to answer your question: The fabric is smooth, light, sheeny. And it also apparently contains wool, as well as mohair and Dacron, as the label (I took another look at it) shows ...

IMGP1638.jpg

The inside of the other interior pocket has the union label that came into use in 1949, but I can't tell if it's the one they used through '62 or the one used from '63 through '76, because the portion of the label that has (or doesn't have) the circled R was covered by fabric when it was sewn in.

It's a pretty groovy suit, I think. Looks like something Kennedy might worn during his presidential tenure. Flat front pants, moderate lapel width, fairly trim fit.

As to the narrow ties -- I'm not a big fan of them, generally, but I have a few that work quite well with some of these late-'50s through mid-'60s suits and jackets that have been putting themselves in front of my eyes every time I turn around lately. I'm at a complete loss for an explanation for this phenomenon, by the way, but it seems that they're turning up even at the crummier thrift shops around here, and in sizes that fit me (or can be made to). I'm really diggin' the suits, especially the ones made during the earlier stretch of that time range, the ones that still have the high-waisted, full-legged, double-pleated pants.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I posted this in the general tie thread, but thought it would be appropriate here, too. Itis one that I had only previously seen in a necktie book, but found at a thrift store last week (for 50c :) ) Labeled, "The cocktail Tie," it is 2 1/4" wide, made of silk, and features the criss-cross strips sewn onto the front blade. It appears to be late '50s. (As usual, sorry about the small photo.)

th_CCF02102010_00002.jpg

th_CCF02102010_00003.jpg
And as you can see, the "Insert small end of tie here" idea did exist before the late '60s.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Okay, here's one of many square-bottomed ties that I picked up two weeks ago for 50 cents each (see above). Nothing fancy, but I like the minimal, yet effective design, as well as the very soft fabric. Measures 52 1/2" long and 2 1/4" wide, and is labeled Silk Embroidered WORK OF "ART." Would be c.'55.

th_CCF02202010_00001.jpg
th_CCF02202010_00001-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust