Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
I was surprised to find this 2" wide tie at Daffy's.
scan0173.jpg

I like that, and I am instantly seeing that with a light green shirt, a purple or dark blue narrow lapel suit, and a straw stingy. And Ronsir Shurons. A silver ring on the finger and a silver tie bar. Green socks. I'm not sure about the shoes, though.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Piven wore the ascot when he won the Emmy in `06, it was generally regarded as eccentric at that time. If a store like H&M carried them, it could pop out as a trend.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=167721&postcount=1

Slim suits of the last couple years have brought out slim ties. Why not?
Now more younger guys are wearing suits, so you see more daring attempts to break away from standard fare.

You even see skinny ties on LOST now...and theyre walkign around in the jungle!
lost190.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Untucked shirt with tie.

Actually, it reminds me of myself in grammar/high school, at recess, lunchtime or after school; Playin' sports and chasin' girls. :p

lost190.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Actually, it reminds me of myself in grammar/high school, at recess, lunchtime or after school; Playin' sports and chasin' girls. :p

lost190.jpg

Dude, he parachuted onto a tropical island, most people wouldnt even be wearing a tie. Its a costume.

There should be an episode where they find a shipment of akubras. ;)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I spotted this in my local paper this morning...

dolcegabbana.jpg
[/IMG]

caption: Designer Domenico Dolce, right, Scarlett Johansson and designer Stefano Gabbana arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala in New York on Monday.

Feraud

Bartender
My complaint used to be that the recent slew of thin ties were only offered in black.
While at Filene's Basement last Sunday I noticed a lot of thin designer ties in interesting. They still lack the particular patterns and embroidery we see in vintage pieces but these are a very acceptable alternative if anyone is interested.

A.R. McVintage

Widebrim said:
Your chronology is pretty much right on, Senator Jack. The narrow lasted til about '66 (look at LP covers from the time), then came back around '80 (I wore many during the early '80s).

Longer than that. Look at the cast of How to Succeed in Business from '67. Still have the pipe stem-legged trousers, the narrow-lapelled three-button jackets, and the thin ties.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tie width

adamgottschalk said:
To my eye, there are some ties which are just too thin (2" and under) and some which are just too wide (4" and up). My preferred wdth is 3.5" or slightly less. I do match tie widths to lapel widths and hat-brim widths (whenever possible). When I wear a hat with a 1 7/8" brim (my widest), I'll wear a slightly wider tie (maybe 4"). When I wear more stingy hats, I'll wear my somewhat narrower ties.

The main reason I like narrower ties is that I've found some really great ties that happen to be on the narrower side. I do appreciate the stingy style of the late 50s/early 60s, but I'm not trying to emulate any style aside from my own (which takes practice). The main reason I prefer narrower to wider is that I associate, for some reason, the wide ties with the fashion of wearing one's tie hanging 3" below the belt, a look I find nearly obscene and in poor taste.

I concur. For many years, I wore thin and medium width ties (let's not leave out the latter), but have recently gotten into Bold Look ties with a passion. I also try to match my tie to lapel and hat brim width. My favorite width is probably 2.5" (mid-50s), and it's surprising how many great patterns and colors were still available in that width (compared to late-50s--early-60s). When I wear a Bold Look tie, I feel vintage, and expect to be looked at. Yet when I wear a classy yet restrained thinner tie, I feel more crisp and classic (there is a difference in my book between vintage and classic). And as one Lounger correctly pointed out, thin was in until 1967, when the wide look took off. (But then again, not everyone follows style, so it is possible to see photos of men in narrow ties for a few years after.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This whole narrow tie thing has been making me crazy ever since I joined the Lounge. As a guy who graduated high school in 1964, I look back at the fashions of that time and go "GAK!!!" It has something to do with biorhythms. Whatever was popular whe you came of age, you look back at in later years with revulsion. But I've been getting so strongly influence by Senator Jack and Feraud, among others, that I've been rethinking this whole thing. I still have a couple of the very narrow ties I had in 1963, when I was a senior in high school. I'm thinking I may develop an ALTERNATIVE VINTAGE PERSONA, as opposed to my vaguely 40's ish leaning. You may see it emerge at any time, as soon as I find a really narrow lapeled jacket. One problem is that to pull off that look you really have to have a skinny waist so you can wear the low waisted pants. Any degree of gut hanging out looks GROSS. So I have to do a couple of sit ups before I'll feel confident with it. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
This whole narrow tie thing has been making me crazy ever since I joined the Lounge. As a guy who graduated high school in 1964, I look back at the fashions of that time and go "GAK!!!" It has something to do with biorhythms. Whatever was popular whe you came of age, you look back at in later years with revulsion. But I've been getting so strongly influence by Senator Jack and Feraud, among others, that I've been rethinking this whole thing. I still have a couple of the very narrow ties I had in 1963, when I was a senior in high school. I'm thinking I may develop an ALTERNATIVE VINTAGE PERSONA, as opposed to my vaguely 40's ish leaning. You may see it emerge at any time, as soon as I find a really narrow lapeled jacket. One problem is that to pull off that look you really have to have a skinny waist so you can wear the low waisted pants. Any degree of gut hanging out looks GROSS. So I have to do a couple of sit ups before I'll feel confident with it. ;)
Mom always said I was a bad influence on others.

The narrow lapels are popular and you should be able to find a jacket relatively easy. Regarding the gut.. do what I do and keep the jacket closed. ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:

Skinny ties were popular in `82 so I liked them as a teenager & I like them now.
But lately, when I see them worn poorly I feel like this:
ENUFF W/ THE SKINNY TIES STORY

"The guys wearing it in the beginning were the canaries in the coal mine," designer Michael Bastian says. "But then it just became 'The skinny tie equals cool.' If you've got the whole Joey Ramone thing going on, that's one thing, but if you have on a going-to-work suit, it doesn't work. You have to follow through on your swing."

Joey Ramone? Maybe he was thinking Paul Weller? That pretty much shows you how square the industry really is. And what do you know? I've been a canary all these years and didn't know it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust