Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Three Stooges Collection

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Couldn't find this exact Stooges topic...

I was pleased--no, make that thrilled-- that they're releasing the uncut and restored Three Stooges short films on DVD in chronological order. Volume 1 is out and Volume 2 is due May 27. Anybody already have volume 1?

Can't wait for Volume 3, which should have "I'll Never Heil Again"!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
What guy who grew up in the 60-70s who didn't love the Stooges ! I have a bunch of rare ones on BETA taped in the 80s. I've been trying to find a Beta Player to get them transfered to VHS. Luckily my favorite episode is on DVD "We want our Mummies" with King "Rootin' Tootin' !

Doh!

One Too Many
Are these nicely restored? I'll have to pick them up.

And now for a bit of an editorial: I know these were pulled from TV back in the '80s over concerns of "imitative behavior," but my friends and I all grew up watching them and not once did we really poke each other's eyes out. Are parents being overly protective, or are children getting stupider?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Doh! said:
Are parents being overly protective, or are children getting stupider?
Kids today are as dumb as they come mainly due to uncaring, working parents who view them as less important than scraping to maintain a McMansion, 2 SUVs, and a boat in the driveway.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Finally got around to watching volume 2 of The Three Stooges Collection and I'm pleased to say that they're just as hilarious to me as they were nearly 30 years ago! I guess one either likes them or doesn't. As for the DVDs, I'm happy to say that they look and sound great; I've never seen them look better! The wonderful Columbia Pictures fanfare that melts into the Stooges' tune is a thrill for a sap like me! So hearing it in all it's Lo-Fi glory brought back my childhood with a Proustian rush. I find myself enjoying these on an 'adult" level, too, what with the 1930s backlot and fashions--almost every woman wears a fur-- I've only watched the first five shorts and so my delayed gratification in getting to a favorite of mine, "Termites of 1938" goes on. Great to have this stuff in the olde collection.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Doh! said:
I know these were pulled from TV back in the '80s over concerns of "imitative behavior," but my friends and I all grew up watching them and not once did we really poke each other's eyes out. Are parents being overly protective, or are children getting stupider?

Ha Ha! I think the parents are getting stupider. As a parent of 2 GIRLS, 5 & 9, I can proudly say that the Stooges have done nothing but enrich their young lives. I've never in my life seen my 9yo laugh so hard, and amazingly, yes, they can process that no one is really getting hurt. I can't wait to get these sets.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Caroline said:
Ha Ha! I think the parents are getting stupider. As a parent of 2 GIRLS, 5 & 9, I can proudly say that the Stooges have done nothing but enrich their young lives. I've never in my life seen my 9yo laugh so hard, and amazingly, yes, they can process that no one is really getting hurt. I can't wait to get these sets.

It seems like the Stooges shorts were omnipresent when I was a child. Local TV stations and TBS always carried them. And with TV and films being so violent today, it amazes me that seventy year-old films can still be so "controversial." So much for classic movies lacking the "edginess" that today's movies have in "abundance." :rolleyes:

Your daughters have *excellent* taste!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Generational STOOGES Fans

The Stooges 1930's Columbia comedy shorts were staples
on early 1950's TV in glorious Black & White. I know we watched
them all the time. lol

Solid Citizen lol

PS On a sad note Moe, Larry,
Curly & Shemp or their estates
never made a dime on the 50+
years of replaying them on TV :rage:

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I neglected to mention that my wife watched "3 Dumb Clucks" with me and she actually enjoyed it! She has no use for the Stooges' brand of genius, but I'm slowly winning her over. After "3 Dumb Clucks" wrapped up, I wen to take the DVD out and she said, "Aren't we going to watch another short?" So then we watched "Dizzy Doctors." This was a great sign! I'm trying to select the best of the shorts so that she'll at least have some sort of appreciation for them. She absolutely can't stand Moe ("Moe's evil!") and relishes any moment where he receives some of the abuse. He's my favorite...

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
PS On a sad note Moe, Larry,
Curly & Shemp or their estates
never made a dime on the 50+
years of replaying them on TV :rage:

Yes, I've told that to the kiddos and I think it endeared the Stooges to them even more!

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Nathan Dodge said:
I neglected to mention that my wife watched "3 Dumb Clucks" with me and she actually enjoyed it! She has no use for the Stooges' brand of genius, but I'm slowly winning her over. After "3 Dumb Clucks" wrapped up, I wen to take the DVD out and she said, "Aren't we going to watch another short?" So then we watched "Dizzy Doctors." This was a great sign! I'm trying to select the best of the shorts so that she'll at least have some sort of appreciation for them. She absolutely can't stand Moe ("Moe's evil!") and relishes any moment where he receives some of the abuse. He's my favorite...

lol Moe's my favorite too. I know a lot of the girls can't stand the Stooges so I'll offer up this photo link showing some of the truely fab golf clothes in the 3 Little Beers episode. Just stunning!

Ok now that I've blathered about this topic far more than a grown woman should, I'm shutting myself off, lest we start the Shemp/Curly discussions...

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Any Stooge-a-holics out there have an idea how many shorts all the stooges made?

They made a total of 190 shorts for Columbia that were released between 1934 and 1959. They also made a few shorts with Ted Healy in the early 30's; most of those have been released piecemeal on DVD in various WB collections.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The set I have contains eight shorts for each year 1937-1939.

On another Stooges-related note, I finally discovered the name of a Three Stooges short I haven't seen in nearly thirty years! It's called CORNY CASANOVAS (1952). It's a Moe, Larry, and Shemp short. The imagery of one gag has stayed with me all of these years. It's when Larry gets his stomach inflated with a fireplace bellows and for whatever reason, upon seeing this for the first time, I was genuinely frightened of how Larry quietly got up and dished out the same abuse to Moe. Strange how comedic things can stay with a fellow...

The Three Stooges remains iconic for me. I watched them as a little kid in NY where their antics were introduced by Officer Joe Bolton. Who had moved to introducing the Stooges, Joe used to introduce the Little Rascals shorts but switched to the Stooges after WPIX lost the rights to the Rascals.

I was pretty little when I first saw the Stooges episodes and any time there was a guy in a gorilla suit i thought it was a real gorilla. Now they did have the MGM lion guest a few times and one shot the boys are asleep in tents in Africa and the lion comes and is licking the bottoms of their feet. It still gets me a little upset to see it as i remember being just about terrified at about 5 or 6 years old to see that.

One episode i love is Curley as the boxer when he hears Pop goes the Weasel he can knock any body out. The oyster soup routine in Vulgaria. Also the hypnotist with the eyes drawn on his hands has them dancing out on a horizontile flag pole in front of a high high rise building. Plumbing at the judges house, and the light bulb fills with water and pops. there are tons of great little scenes.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I was pretty little when I first saw the Stooges episodes and any time there was a guy in a gorilla suit i thought it was a real gorilla.

I seem to recall a Stooges short that had Curly (IIRC) looking at a gorilla through a mirror without any glass and the two were making the same hand movements and Curly wasn't sure if he was the gorilla or not! Can't remember the name of that one...off to do more research!

BTW, one of the best lines in the 1937-1939 set is from Tassels In the Air, when Moe tells Curly that his Pig Latin name would be "Umday." Moe goes on to say, "You're Umday in any language!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld