Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

St.Ignatz said:
Needs to be cleaned and blocked but for $48.00 I'll not complain.

CIMG1194.jpg
Again, VERY nice! What is the brim width? Mine is right at 2 5/8" but this looks wider.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
VERY interesting find, Rusty...

I like the .925 silver alternative best myself. BTW, finally getting around to having repros of the Strat flying right to left and larger size repro made. Will PM some of youse guys next week on that project. -- ZF

Yhat

New in Town
Stratoliner sweatband...

I posted this over in a "NEW SWEATBANDS" thread before I realized that there was probably a group of Stratoliner experts nearby. Hope I'm not in troublke for double-posting. Anyway...

I just won an old Stetson Stratoliner on eBay (so does that make me a novice member of the Statoliner Society?). It's going to be a great fixer-upper when I'm done, but I'm a bit concerned about the sweatband. It's rather old, of course, and looks fairly "rotten" for lack of a better term. It's flaking freely around the upper end (crown-ward). I hate to lose the "Royal Stetson Stratoliner" blazon. Is there anything I can do to help save it? Is there anyplace I can get a Stratoliner replacement (probably a silly question)? Should I just leave it in until it goes to dust (in my hair), or should I simply give up the "status symbol" and replace it with something generic?

RBH

Bartender
Yhat said:
I posted this over in a "NEW SWEATBANDS" thread before I realized that there was probably a group of Stratoliner experts nearby. Hope I'm not in troublke for double-posting. Anyway...

I just won an old Stetson Stratoliner on eBay (so does that make me a novice member of the Statoliner Society?). It's going to be a great fixer-upper when I'm done, but I'm a bit concerned about the sweatband. It's rather old, of course, and looks fairly "rotten" for lack of a better term. It's flaking freely around the upper end (crown-ward). I hate to lose the "Royal Stetson Stratoliner" blazon. Is there anything I can do to help save it? Is there anyplace I can get a Stratoliner replacement (probably a silly question)? Should I just leave it in until it goes to dust (in my hair), or should I simply give up the "status symbol" and replace it with something generic?
Post us some photos first and then have it replaced.
The Stratoliners are too fine a fedora to not enjoy and wear.
Just keep the old sweat in the box with the hat and you will always have 'the entire' hat.
Good luck and WELCOME TO THE SOCIETY !

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yhat said:

Send that dude to Optimo. I know how you feel. I've debated the same topic with myself several times, but the truth is if you plan to keep and wear the hat, which is exactly what is was made for, then you'll want a sweat you can trust. Ask Optimo to return the original sweat, and you will have it along with a serviceable hat.

Wecome to the Stratoliner Society. They are one of my favorite lids.

Yhat

New in Town
Sweating out the Stratoliner

Regarding the decayed sweatband; Thanks for your advice! The required replacement is sad news, but not unexpected. I agree; this is an awesome hat, meant for wearing. And it's going with me down the road. I don't plan on pampering this bad boy, so I'll swap out the band (actually it fell apart last night during the first round of cleaning). I retain the old bad as a momento of its past glories, but it deserves a new one.

The second associated problem arising form the band's poor condition is that it bled into the felt. The first two cleanings with Scout Hat Cleaner have done a marvleous job at getting out 90% of the stains, but I can't seem to penetrate deeply enough to get out the residual tinted ring left by the band. Any guidance on deeper cleaning? I know I could probably send it away, but that's like sending your new bride off on her own honeymoon (with somebody else). I hate to part company just when we've found one another.

Advice? (and thanks again!)

Yhat said:
...Any guidance on deeper cleaning? I know I could probably send it away, but that's like sending your new bride off on her own honeymoon (with somebody else). I hate to part company just when we've found one another.

Advice? (and thanks again!)
I got a vintage Open Road that was in similar shape, rotten sweatband, no liner, needed good cleaning. Sent it off to Optimo & got back, very quickly, a well cleaned & fixed up hat. Like sending off the new bride for a Hollywood make-over! Well worth the time & $$$, IMHO.

Yhat

New in Town
Honeymoon's Over

I may have to do that (the Optimo route). I worked with it this weekend to no avail. Thanks for the guidance.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Birth of the Stratoliner

Here's a blurb from the New York Times, dated July 6, 1940, noting Stetson's introduction of the Stratoliner in the fall of that year...

StratolinerRoll-out.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe