Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

frussell

One Too Many
My 2 1/2 year old, out on Halloween, wearing one of his two NOS Stratoliners as a cowboy hat. He also has one in grey, pretty near mint. I bought these for him before he was born, size 6 1/2, thanks again Benzadmiral for the heads-up. He has a great vintage cowboy hat I got from Alan, but it's a 7, and he's not quite there yet. Handmade chinks, real Levi's, Ariat boots, and a bison vest that I cut and stitched from scratch about half an hour before we went out, since he has trouble keeping his shirt tucked in. First time he's kept his hat on for more than a few minutes, so we were both happy. I had it in a Gus crease, but he likes to pull his hats down like a bronc rider, and always pops the crease out. Frank.
PA290620.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I've always wanted a Stratoliner but the prices for a nice vintage one seems to be out of reach for me. I know there's been discussion about whether or not Stratoliners and Open Roads were near cousins. I have a real nice early '60s Royal Stetson of obvious Open Road styling. I already changed out the OR cattleman's crease. If I were to have the brim re-flanged to a Strat style fedora curl would I then have something of a Stratoliner conversion? There's nothing on the inside of the hat that identifies it as any specific Stetson style. I thought a simple conversion would be the cheapest route for me to have a Strat, and it is the lighter weight Royal Stetson felt that the Stratoliners were, (although I would like to have one other than Silverbelly).

Here's some pics of the hat...

The_Royal_Stetson_Open_Road.jpg

R_Stetson_05.jpg

R_Stetson_04.jpg

R_Stetson_03.jpg

and another view of me wearing it...

R_Stetson_02.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted a Stratoliner but the prices for a nice vintage one seems to be out of reach for me. I know there's been discussion about whether or not Stratoliners and Open Roads were near cousins. I have a real nice early '60s Royal Stetson of obvious Open Road styling. I already changed out the OR cattleman's crease. If I were to have the brim re-flanged to a Strat style fedora curl would I then have something of a Stratoliner conversion? There's nothing on the inside of the hat that identifies it as any specific Stetson style. I thought a simple conversion would be the cheapest route for me to have a Strat, and it is the lighter weight Royal Stetson felt that the Stratoliners were, (although I would like to have one other than Silverbelly).

Strats did come in other grades. I have a vintage Royal Deluxe Stratoliner.
I know Black Jack (John Walls) had a Stratoliner block & flange but he isn't doing hats anymore.
D bar J Hats, http://www.dbarjhat.com/ , may have same block & flange or access to Black Jack's.

I've always wanted a Stratoliner but the prices for a nice vintage one seems to be out of reach for me... If I were to have the brim re-flanged to a Strat style fedora curl would I then have something of a Stratoliner conversion?

It's a great looking hat despite the fact that it will never be an Open Road or a Stratoliner. This is far from a bad thing. There were many iterations of Stetson thin ribbon fedoras, many of them in finer grades (100s, 7XCBs, etc) and more desirable vintages than the bulk of Open Roads and Stratoliners that appear for sale on eBay. The difference between a Stratoliner and an Open Road is an 1/8 - 1/4" of brim and a small amount of scoop from brim flanging, logotype elements, a small silver airplane and marketing. The differences are more pronounced when considering the look and feel of two hats from different eras (1930s - 1945 vs. 1955 - 1965) than between an OR or Strat from the same period.

I would second enjoying this one for what it is and keep your eyes out for an early Stratoliner in good condition in your size. When you find a good one, buy it. Whatever the cost, it will be minor amortized over a decade of good wear. If you change your mind, selling it should not be a challenge.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
RJR, Harv, gtdean, fedoracentric, alan, Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments and the advise. It's a real nice hat and it looks good. I'll do as alan suggested and enjoy it for what it is and be on the look out for a vintage Strat. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick one up one day.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
VetPsychWars, Strats go for big money. That's the reason they're out of reach for me.

kingrat, hey there buddy! I'm a 7 1/8 Long Oval, a kind of hard to find size. I lucked out when I found that OR style Royal Stetson. It's a 7 1/8 LO and it fits me perfectly. I've about given up trying to find a Strat that I can afford to buy.

What are the new Open Crowned Premier Strats like? Anybody have any thoughts on those?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe