Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
The hat as it was received from the ebay auction:

brownstratorig.jpg

After renovation at the Brass Rooster, which included a new sweatband, cleaning, blocking, flanging on an authentic Stratoliner flange, and blocking on a vintage hat block:

brownstrat.jpg

It wasn't brown when I received it, but remove 70 years worth of dirt, and brown is what you get! I asked John to crease it on the block because the short, tapered crown (yes, I said the short tapered crown) is harder for me to hand crease and he had the vintage Stetson block.

A little disappointed that it's brown but I'll live with it. :) I have an A2-style jacket from US Authentic that I can wear it with.

Tom

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I asked John to crease it on the block because the short, tapered crown (yes, I said the short tapered crown) is harder for me to hand crease and he had the vintage Stetson block.

I always thought, the Stratoliner came open crown from the factory(?) I also think, the original flange looked more like the original Stratoliner flange, that was quite a bit more rolled than the OR. It may be just me(?) I any case, it's a very beautiful hat. Congratulations ;)

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I always thought, the Stratoliner came open crown from the factory(?) I also think, the original flange looked more like the original Stratoliner flange, that was quite a bit more rolled than the OR. It may be just me(?) I any case, it's a very beautiful hat. Congratulations ;)

It did come open crown but he has a bunch of vintage hat blocks and happens to have one in my size that had "Stetson" stamped on it. He also has the Stratoliner flange, which is stamped "Stratoliner". You're right, it has a lot of roll to it.

I like this block enough that I will have him reshape my other two vintage Stratoliners on it.

I forgot to mention that this one did not come with a liner but rather the sticker in it.

Tom

Last edited:

The early Strat was marked 122 block and did have a somewhat scooped flange.

Have you posted interior photos of the original parts, Tom?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It did come open crown but he has a bunch of vintage hat blocks and happens to have one in my size that had "Stetson" stamped on it

Cool, but that does not make it a Stratoliner block - or anything resembling the original. I don't think I've ever seen a low and/or tapered crown on a vintage Stratoliner. But as said: It may be just me :)

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Cool, but that does not make it a Stratoliner block - or anything resembling the original. I don't think I've ever seen a low and/or tapered crown on a vintage Stratoliner. But as said: It may be just me :)

Only the flange was marked Stratoliner, not the block.

I have three original Stratoliners and they all have what I consider to be a low crown. Just over five inches, I think.

Tom

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I think "LOW/TAPERED" is somewhat of a subjective term. I love 6 inch crowns, so to me, a 5 1/2 inch crown is low. However, when a 5 1/2 inch crown is paired with a thin 3/8 ribbon such as Strats are, it makes the crown appear taller because the eye sees a break from felt color to ribbon color much lower. Strats used the same type of block profile that was employed on many 40s'/50's Stetsons. They are round on top and taper slightly just at the shoulder. I wouldn't consider them a "tapered" crown by any means, but in order for the crown to "square up," one needs to crease it down farther and therefore giving it a lower appearance. The Strat profile, as with MANY block profiles from the 40's and 50's lend themselves to a C-crown/diamond better than any other crown shape because that was the most popular crown style at the time and I'm sure the designers kept that in mind when designing the open crown profile shape.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked this strat up at an antique show. It's in unworn condition. I was going to take a few more pics of the inside when I dropped my camera right on the extended lens. So no more camera. Here it is. Nice gray with a touch of blue.

fedoralover

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe