Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

He's taking his wife to a business trip? I read the ad that he's being dragged away from work, and the Stratoliner is making the transition from work to play easier.

AlanC said:
If you prefer travel hat to business hat, fine, but it's for the traveling businessman. I wonder how many business hats they packed for the trip?

Again, from one ad you get this? Despite the pitiful puns with which the ads are laden, there's nothing really to suggest exclusively "businessman" about the ads. They are simply trying to engage their chosen demographic. (i.e. men.) Which male is not pretentious enough to think he's successful?

Look at the words. Youthful, informal, comfortable, modern, "a light, cool air", brown shoes (shock horror!, his look doesn't look contrived! He's wearing his clothes, they're not wearing him. Damn his eyes and demote him forthwith; he ain't a-conformin') … The very things that business to this day tends to be frightened of in menswear.

bk

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
IMG_2799.jpg

Sorry, BK......I'm with Alan on this one.

Who said that's his wife in the picture? Notice the gloved hands, strategically placed to cloak the lack of a wedding band. On the contrary, it's his secretary and she's going on a business trip with him, disguised as his wife. And how do I know it's a business trip? Elementary, my dear Baron. The leather satchel under his arm and the Blackberry in his right hand.

So......he's a Traveling Vacationing Businessman.........he's simply disguising his Vacation trip with his secretary as a Business Trip. It's obvious to me that Stetson had this in mind when designing the hat.....and the ad. Subliminal messages by the Mad Men in action.

Oh....by the way.....how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :deadhorse ;)

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
And, with that dubious post, I go from "New In Town", to "Familiar Face".......that is, unless I get banned for smart-a** posts. lol

GWD

One Too Many
LMAO I agree with HatDoc on this one, they both look way too happy to be married and traveling together. If they were married she would have a scowl on her face wondering if she left the iron plugged in. lol

You taking any new patients, Doc?

This quack I've been seeing already has me off smokes and hooch and most of my favorite comestibles. I shudder to think what else he has in mind for me.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
You taking any new patients, Doc?

This quack I've been seeing already has me off smokes and hooch and most of my favorite comestibles. I shudder to think what else he has in mind for me.

Most likely a prostate exam. lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HatDoc said:
Dixon,
I'm sure you know more about airplanes than I do, but how do you know it's a
DC-3? To my eye, the tail section and markings look identical to this one:

Whaddya think?

I Stand Corrected! Indeed it is. I was acting on the assumption that the 'tail dragger' was a DC-3 not even considering that the B-307 was also conventional gear. The 377 'Stratocruiser' is the tri-cycle gear aircraft. Geesh, why didn't they just call that hat 'airplane' and avoid all this confusion!!??

-dixon cannon

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Stratoliner kissing cousin to the B-17? It looks quite a lot like a '17 with a pressurized cabin.

As for the ad with the businessman/traveling salesman/adulterer, isn't it possible that it is his wife but she's just seeing him off? I don't think security at airports in the '40s was quite like it is today.

-Dave

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Just got this with 8 other Aviation Pins on the bay.

aa299d.jpg

Gary,

Nice score. I bid on that auction, but bailed out because I already have a pin like that.

And now I have a hat to put it on.

I think I STOLE this one. "Child's" size 7 is a misnomer (hopefully)....and hopefully it'll fit my size 7-1/8 head. If not, I may be sending it to you to stretch it with that newfangled.....er, old-fangled electrified hat stretcher that you just won. ;)

GWD

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
Gary,

Nice score. I bid on that auction, but bailed out because I already have a pin like that.

And now I have a hat to put it on.

I think I STOLE this one. "Child's" size 7 is a misnomer (hopefully)....and hopefully it'll fit my size 7-1/8 head. If not, I may be sending it to you to stretch it with that newfangled.....er, old-fangled electrified hat stretcher that you just won. ;)

Great find HatDoc! I saw that one too, I'm glad a member snagged that one! Post it when you get it! :eusa_clap

tortswon

Practically Family
New Member Application

Just purchased a Stratoliner on eBay for $41.99. Hope that I made a good deal. Does this confer upon me the status of pledge to the Stratoliner Society until I get my hat and post a photo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe