Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I considered that as well. The liner has been removed but there is just no evidence, at least to my novice eye, that would suggest the sweat had been moved from one hat to another. I have an early 50s Strat and two late 50s and this new one has identical feel, finish, and thickness.

I found a curious one awhile back. Low, tapered crown, under 2" brim, but a genyoowine Stratoliner labeled sweatband. Didn't look altered, it looked like somebody put a Strat sweat in some other hat.

I think I posted it upthread about a year ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

If I posted it above, I can't find it. Here is the Stetson Notaliner.

Picture6.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg

Weird, huh?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Royal Stetson Stratoliner...could also be a Notoliner!

This one was probably cut down to a 2 inch brim. The binding is top notch, however, so whoever worked on it was a real craftsman. A wide 1 3/4 tan ribbon (I'm sure also replacing the original thin ribbon) and a 1 7/8 brown sweat with embossed markings (not just stamped ink). No liner and no markings or tags on the felt. The felt feel and quality match other Strats and OR I have of the 50's.

Color is what I will call a Sand (some of the pictures show up as blue but it is definitely not blue and has no blue cast ). It is gray with brown tones...brown but slightly more gray than my current Gannon Sahara.

With a high and tight pinch and a short brim, this one has a bit of a Dick Tracy look I think I will like! Enjoy.

Strat01.jpg Strat04.jpg Strat05.jpg Strat06.jpg Strat07.jpg Strat09.jpg Strat10.jpg Strat11.jpg

Steinbockhase

Practically Family

This one was probably cut down to a 2 inch brim. The binding is top notch, however, so whoever worked on it was a real craftsman. A wide 1 3/4 tan ribbon (I'm sure also replacing the original thin ribbon) and a 1 7/8 brown sweat with embossed markings (not just stamped ink). No liner and no markings or tags on the felt. The felt feel and quality match other Strats and OR I have of the 50's.

Color is what I will call a Sand (some of the pictures show up as blue but it is definitely not blue and has no blue cast ). It is gray with brown tones...brown but slightly more gray than my current Gannon Sahara.

With a high and tight pinch and a short brim, this one has a bit of a Dick Tracy look I think I will like! Enjoy.

View attachment 183225 View attachment 183226 View attachment 183227 View attachment 183228 View attachment 183229 View attachment 183230 View attachment 183231 View attachment 183232

Nice; almost a Trilby aka Stingy :)

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 183225 View attachment 183226 View attachment 183227 View attachment 183228 View attachment 183229 View attachment 183230 View attachment 183231 View attachment 183232
Nice. I have a royal Stetson that looks like a strat/ open road derivative... thin, ribbed ribbon. I've thought about changing out the thin ribbon to a mid ribbon to give it more of a Stetson Wanderer look, but I'd never cut the brim down.

Last edited:

...and then there were two.

Thanks for the notes on yesterday's Stratoliner. Here is another.

Stetson's Stratoliner trademark filing was in 1944, though it cites a first use in trade in April 1940 - three months after the first flight of the Boeing 307 Stratoliner. Both this hat and the one posted yesterday are early examples - c.1940-42, though I'm not positive which is older. This one features several bits that disappeared shortly after 1940 - the metallic size tag, the three panel (narrow) manufacturing label. It is a Vita-Felt process hat as well. Both examples feature a four engine plane - apparently the Stratoliner. Why the TWA DC-3 adorned the ribbon is a mystery. Only ten Stratoliners were built by Boeing. The DC-3, which preceded it by 3 years, became the most successful airplane of its era.

092519_2.jpg

092519_7.jpg

092519_3.jpg

092519_4.jpg

092519_5.jpg

092519_6.jpg

092519_1.jpg

Hi Gents, I have been searching for a 40's Strat and have seen a couple with no liner and thought it had been removed. Then I saw Alanfgag's above. So the very early ones were unlined ? Such as this example ??

View attachment 186466

That looks like a one of the older ones. An unlined hat will perhaps have remnants of the tip logo which was once there. Can't tell that from your pic.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
That looks like a one of the older ones. An unlined hat will perhaps have remnants of the tip logo which was once there. Can't tell that from your pic.

Thanks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it after seeing this thread. I think I may have something pretty special, has the original oval ‘Harmonized TWA’ hat box and the hat pin like Alan’s above. Looks to be in great shape. I’ll post pics when I receive it.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Thanks, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it after seeing this thread. I think I may have something pretty special, has the original oval ‘Harmonized TWA’ hat box and the hat pin like Alan’s above. Looks to be in great shape. I’ll post pics when I receive it.
Awesome, can’t wait to see pics!

Hi Gents, I have been searching for a 40's Strat and have seen a couple with no liner and thought it had been removed. Then I saw Alanfgag's above. So the very early ones were unlined ? Such as this example ??

View attachment 186466

Yes, unlined. In mine there is no evidence that the embroidered patch was used nor the imprinted logo that is seen in the later (mid 1940s) premier quality stratoliner. Early 1940s on this one... great find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken