Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Regular Customer, The Usual Order

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I would definitely frequent a restaurant that distributed hugs to it's regulars. That place sounds great. I'd love to see what a three star French chef can do in a deli.

twistcafe_interior.jpg

Twist Cafe, Campbell CA

My usual: Beef Tri-tip Sandwich:
Tri-tip served on focaccia bread, Harissa mayonnaise, braised onions, tomatoes, and lettuce.

rotisseriechik.jpg

My second choice: Rotisserie Chicken:
1/2 roasted chicken served with a choice of red wine mushroom-bacon sauce, Garlic jus or Provencal tomato basil sauce.

about_soupson.jpg

About the chef
Born and raised in Paris, France, Dominique grew up knowing that he wanted to pursue culinary arts for a living and went on to study cooking at College Albert De Mun and Chamber of Commerce of Paris. He had the fortune of working at many fine Parisian restaurants including Le Bristol, Taillevent, and Apicius; which have been rated 2 and 3 stars in the prestigious Guide Michelin. Additionally, Dominique has worked at the prestigious Noga Hilton in Geneva, Switzerland and has served as Executive Chef under the world-known Chef, Jean Joho.

In the US Dominique served as sous chef in New York City, Washington DC, San Juan(Puerto Rico) and Chicago. While working at the Drake hotel in Chicago, he met his wife Eileen. When Dominique moved to California, he mastered the techniques of cold buffet as the Chef Garde Manager at the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. Prior to opening Twist Cafe with Eileen, Dominique was the Executive Chef at the Westin Hotel in Palo Alto, CA.

Chef Dominique's accomplishments in his 20 year long culinary career include numerous awards and appearances as host of a live cooking show that aired twice a month on NBC3. So how would you like your next event catered with affordably priced four star cooking by Dominique?

And than for dinner....Yummmm.......:essen:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
So how would you like your next event catered with affordably priced four star cooking by Dominique?
QUOTE]

Hey! You skimped him on a star. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that place sounds fantastic. Unfortunately here in redneck-ville the only French cuisine we have is French fries at McDonalds.

In a couple of months, however, a Tuscan style brick oven pizza/pasta/sandwich place will be opening downtown. They'll have pressed sandwiches cooked in the brick oven. I can't wait to try one of those. It'll be a nice change from the burgers, etc currently available. Maybe soon I'll be replacing the Reuben as my favorite sandwich :eek: Then again, I am going to be the chef at said restaurant, so, I may be biased.

Thanks for sharing, Vintage Betty!!!

Bassman

A-List Customer
I was just talking about this subject with my daughter the other day.
When I walk into Pearl's chinese restaurant on 7th Ave. between 48th &49th St. in Manhattan, they don't say "Usual?" but they do ask if I'll be having the chicken with hot peppers and peanuts, hot and sour soup, brown rice and spring roll dinner special (which is my "usual" there).

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Vintage Betty said:
So how would you like your next event catered with affordably priced four star cooking by Dominique?
QUOTE]

Hey! You skimped him on a star. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that place sounds fantastic. Unfortunately here in redneck-ville the only French cuisine we have is French fries at McDonalds.

In a couple of months, however, a Tuscan style brick oven pizza/pasta/sandwich place will be opening downtown. They'll have pressed sandwiches cooked in the brick oven. I can't wait to try one of those. It'll be a nice change from the burgers, etc currently available. Maybe soon I'll be replacing the Reuben as my favorite sandwich :eek: Then again, I am going to be the chef at said restaurant, so, I may be biased.

Thanks for sharing, Vintage Betty!!!

Oops - I didn't mean to skimp on the star. He difinately deserves each one.

I'd love to come in to try your food, Chef Misanthropy!

I ate last night at a sushi place with some in-laws who consider it one of their favorite restaurants and eat there a couple times a week. The waitress was great, she corrected the person ordering with "no you don't want that" and brought other things we hadn't ordered, to balace out the meal, which was perfect. Throughout the meal, she made sure to tease each one of us, and give us nicknames, and tell us what other food we should try.

What a great waitress! lol

Vintage Betty

KilroyCD

One Too Many
There's a Chinese restaurant near my workplace, and I eat there regularly. Enough so that when I walk in, the guy behind the counter asks, "Sweet and Sour Chicken, Egg Roll and Dr Pepper, right?" each time. I guess they have me pegged.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I just tried the Pantry here in Los Angeles. According to it's website, it has never closed since it opened in 1924. It was my first time in there but I felt as if I had been coming there for a while. http://www.pantrycafe.com/
I had my first omelette. Ham and cheese with toast and hash browns on the side. Keep those joints and orders coming. I'm enjoying all of your answers.

Randy

Familiar Face
Joe Bologna's - Lexington, Ky

Back about 14 years ago, before we moved, my wife and I used to hit up Joe B's pizza, a little family owned and operated place. We'd gone there for years and years and were regulars - it was grand! We would stop in, the host(es) would smile and greet us casually and maybe chat a bit. Then they would show a place to sit, someone who wasn't even our server would drop off our usual drinks in passing without ever being asked. Our server would swing by and in passing ask "the usual guys?" - we'd smile and nod and it would be up in a few moments. Sometimes the owner would chat with us, and often servers from other sections or the cooks would stop by to chat. Wonderful times. The kind of thing that just never seems to happen outside a ma and pa shop. I miss it more than anything and would move back for that place alone if we could.

- R

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
No regular, but . . .

I used to stop in every morning at a big deli on Maiden Lane in Manhattan. I got something different every day, but the guys there started calling me Capitan every time I walked in. I have no idea why, except that during that time I was sporting a VERY skinny mustache, and usually wore a bright red beret to work. That was also the period when, when walking down the street with the aforementioned 'stache and my old Panama, people would start talking to me in Spanish. I was very flattered, even tho my Spanish doesn't go much beyond "Donde queda la bibliiteca".

Foofoogal

Banned
Categories: Italian | Sandwiches | Pizza | Italian |

Pizza Shack-Willis E-Mail
"For Real East Coast Style Pizza."

"Voted Best Pizza in Montgomery County by Conroe Courier's Peoples Choice 2001, 2003,2004,2005, 2006"
"Voted Best Italian 2007"

MENU (PDF) | MENU (WORD)

115 W Montgomery St * Willis, TX 77378-8676 Get Map Web Site.
936-856-9780 Fax: 936-856-2250
---------------------
They always give me a seat by a window. I always try to find a better chicken marsala when I travel and even in the 5 star joints they don't even come close to Pizza Shacks.
Rigazzi is great, lasagna is great, calzone is great, lunch prices are great.

Working on their website but considering they are so busy most days I can see why. They have another one in Montgomery Texas also.

Foofoogal

Banned
people would start talking to me in Spanish

I read once that when you are traveling and need help and don't know the language to try and find a book store as most will have a learned person there who may be bilingual. Sounds reasonable to me. :eek:fftopic:

Barbigirl

Practically Family
My old usual

I used to work across the street from a mall and a girlfriend and I would stop into See's Candy not daily, but very often and the older See's lady working would say, "the usual 4?"

Yes please. Anyway it was a milk chocolate bordeaux, a butterscotch square, an orange bon bon and a milk chocolate vanilla creme.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Barbigirl said:
I would stop into See's Candy not daily, but very often and the older See's lady working would say, "the usual 4?"

Anyway it was a milk chocolate bordeaux, a butterscotch square, an orange bon bon and a milk chocolate vanilla creme.

I love See's Candy. I'll take 4 of anything! ;)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I walked into a Greek restaurant in North Hollywood. Third time I'd been there. The man at the counter greets me and says "chicken combo again?", and started ringing up the cash register. Whether or not the place is one of many chains, it's always the people who work there that make it great.

Rosie

One Too Many
I have two neighborhood spots that I frequent:

Solomon's Porch - for brunch - Not Just Any French Toast (french toast stuffed with blueberries, bananas, mascarpone cheese and drizzled with honey) Mmmmmmmmmmm
If its a Friday Evening - Lentil Tangine and an Old Fashioned Burger w Swiss and Goat, lettuce tomato and red onion, mixed plain and sweet potato fries and a slice of red velvet cake

Common Ground's - for brunch - Waffles, two, plain, butter, syrup, fresh squeezed apple juice

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
145184952_9af0abd5d7.jpg

They know me there, and I always order the pork chops with extra applesauce... hahahaha.

That location has been there since 1957 or so, the original Rod's Grill opened in 1946... too bad I don't know where that was... wish it still was around.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
145184952_9af0abd5d7.jpg

They know me there, and I always order the pork chops with extra applesauce... hahahaha.

Where is Rod's Grill, FM?

The wife and I patronize a spot in our neighborhood called Merchant's. I have both a regular drink there (tequila gimlet on the rocks -- and they know I like it with Rose's Lime Juice, not fresh) and a veggie burger with avocado slices instead of cheese.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
A few of my haunts and usuals:

Scat Jazz Lounge, downtown Fort Worth - a glass of Balvenie Scotch on the rocks.

The Flying Saucer Pub, downtown Fort Worth - two big, soft pretzels and the flagship Fort Worth microbrew beer, Rahr Stormcloud IPA, on draught. You have to love a beer with a woodcut illustration of a sailing ship on the label and a great story:

sc.jpg

The brewery's family ancestor (himself a brewer), William Rahr, sailed to America on a German ship, the Sturmwolke (Stormcloud). During a fierce storm, he was heard shouting from the deck: "Roll on, old sea! And when you are done, when the storm clouds have destroyed themselves, we will still be standing and drinking!"

Spiral Diner Vegan Cafe, Fort Worth Near Southside - Either a Luv Us Hummus wrap, Sketti & "Meat"balls, or a Jamaican Jerk BBQ tempeh sandwich, with some of their Black Gold iced tea.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I have lunch at least twice a week at this coffee shop.
My waitress automatically brings me my usual order- spanish omelette, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, a side of hash browns and a piping hot cup of vegetable soup. It better be piping hot or her tip won't be the usual generous tip that she's used to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe