Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Regular Customer, The Usual Order

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
My usual is the Reuben

I too have witnessed the waitress or whoever who can remember what I had once, years ago. At another place, we are "the regular customers" but we get the opposite of "the usual order". A blank stare of unrecognition every time we go in. Come on! I don't understand that. I don't want any special treatment but a common "oh hello again" or something would be nice. Or do they get a lot of nicely dressed tall young men with long black hair and hornrimmed glasses coming in with his family twice or more a week? My mom says, "We'd like our usual table, please." The hostess, same one every time, says, "Which one is that?"

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
On Saturday night I went out with BegintheBeguine to her club, the same one we went to last year. To my amazement the bartender asked me if I wanted what I had last time! It has been a few months. I was there only once. It's not an unusual drink. I don't drink alcohol, I'm not old enough yet. Wow, I felt like a regular. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The nice thing about being a regular somewhere is getting things made the way you want not the way the menu has it.
There use to be a coffee shop acroos my work where I would get a special smoothie. It was a good way to sneak fruit into my diet.;) I would get a raspberry juice, raspberry sherbet and strawberries put into this concoction. One time I went in and ordered something else. they had actually started making my usual when they saw me coming. They didn't expect me to change my usual.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Peking Tokyo.
When I order over the phone I usually get "Is this for Amy? How are you?"
They know me and my husband very well!

The usual: either Sushi Lunch or Sushi Deluxe with a Philadelphia Roll. Mmmmmmmmm

olive bleu

One Too Many
There is a small, family-run Greek restaurant here in Halifax, that we have been going to for about 16 years. My husband is from CT and he and his family deperately missed the old family style retaurant/Diners that are sorely lacking here. This place "Athens" is a close as it gets. We walk in, and we're family,the old Pop comes over and asks all the questions about how the family is doing, what are the kids up to...I always have the Moussaka, and i always finish with the Greek coffee..

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Closest thing for me is a somewhat regular stop at the Starbucks right outside my Metro station. Grande light-roast coffee and an apple fritter. But I've cut back, as it was thinning my wallet and having the opposite effect on my waistline. :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every morning I go to the same deli to get my coffee. I have been going there for 16 years now and when I started I had a full head of hair. I only get coffee and I don't need to say anything , it is just prepared as I come in.

Every weekend I have breakfast at Jonnys on 25th street between sixth and seventh. Its a little hole in the wall. When I come in george just says " the ush" and then makes my 2 over easy with bacon, home fries and rye toast.

I used to go to the Old Town on 18th every Wed. night for a few pints of Guiness. I only needed to walk in and they would prepare a booth. That was fun.
They have great grilled hot dogs!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes I take away indian food from a local place. It's always the same: Mango Chicken - Lentils (i think it's call daahl, i'm not sure) and rice.
The owner of the place knows exactly what I want, he smiles, serves and many times not a word is uttered between us. If that's not being a regular I don't know what is... :)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
That reminds me - back when I worked for Adobe Systems, there was a group - well, several groups - that would regularly go to a particular Chinese place in the International District (in Seattle).

Somehow, they'd gotten in the habit of ordering various items via code names, which the waitstaff understood. "Vitamin R" - normally a nick name for Rainer Beer - was rice. "Vitamin G" was General Tso's. "Dreaded Shredded" was Schezuan Pork. In fact, the manager would often prompt the group if they hadn't ordered that item yet - "Any dreaded shredded?".

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sea Galley (local bar/restaurant) I walk in and it's "Hey Matt". If it's during work hours (not supposed to booze up, but, being a lush, I often do) they ask "The usual?" If after work they just make it on sight. Jack and Seven in a tall glass, poured heavy.

Then they ask if I want the teriyaki or bar-b-q chicken.

After work I regularly stop at New Sagaya deli to get dinner. If the guys see my hat crossing the parking lot they make my teriyaki chicken rice bowl.

If they don't see me, it's "The usual?" And then food appears.

Nice feeling, being recognized. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe