Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

Feraud

Bartender
An fyi- Bogey's jacket did not have the buttonhole in the lapel like the examples shown in this thread.

CASABLANCA-44.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
???

[huh] So..? :)) )

My friend, Bogie wears it well, but it's not a major issue if folk have a button hole here or there when Bogie's did not. Him in the tux is an iconic image, but it's not about an 'exact' copy of what THE MAN is wearing in Casablanca.

If I want to be pedantic, then I can start picking holes in my Tux being quite different to the one in Casablanca (ie: fabric; cut; lapels..etc, etc).

Feraud said:
An fyi- Bogey's jacket did not have the buttonhole in the lapel like the examples shown in this thread.

CASABLANCA-44.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
We (I do anyway) tend to relish identifying and discussing the details of vintage wear.

Apparently, fewer and fewer folks do, unfortunately ... which might help to explain the "Suits" section's decrease in posts and views.

This is happening despite your excellent and inspiring stewardship of the section, Feraud.

And if anyone thinks my observation is elitist, they're welcome to that delusion. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fair points.

Fair point Michael ;)

I must say, it's encouraging to see the following that the Palm Beach DJ has, and I'm so looking forward to good, warm summer weather to be able to don the 'auld Tux' very soon. It makes a nice change to the usual Black DJ, and does have 'that feel' of old Hollywood about it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
An old-timer at Western Costume Co. (when it was next to Paramount Studios, the former site of RKO) once told me that Bogie's dinner jacket was made of cream barathea wool.

I am not surprised. Most dinner wear of that era was made with barathea cloth. The drape is indicative of the weight of the barathea wool. The black barathea is shocking when it comes to attracting fluff and lint BTW! :rage:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Summer Time is Beach Time...!! (Bring out your Palm Beach Baby!)

From Venice to Casablanca...Brideshead to The English Patient...the Palm Beach is an iconic piece of Golden Era wear for that 'Under the Sun' look..!

summersuit011.jpg

CASABLANCA009.jpg

BRIDEY2.jpg

Casablanca003.jpg

summersuit002.jpg

summersuit004.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ya gotta Love It! Outstanding suit and accessories, Paddy.
What can you tell us about that wonderful chair you're sitting in?
summersuit002.jpg

Fantastic suits on Wingnut and Art Fawcett in their '05 pictures as well. Just a great look.
gatsby_aj_and_gregg.jpg
artfawcett5fn.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's a British Colonial Chair...

Often referred to as a Plantation or Planter's Chair. Some of them have extra slats of wood on the arm-rests that can 'swing' out so that the English Gent running the plantation (somewhere in the Empire) can stretch out his legs and have his boots removed.

It's a deep seat (you sit far back in it) with a back that's adjustable. This one is from the 20's-30's. Made from hardwood. You can buy repro ones too, but this original I was 'given' by some friends a number of years ago and it's ideal for my summer room.

Thanks for the lovely comments Carter!! Cheers.

carter

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Often referred to as a Plantation or Planter's Chair. Some of them have extra slats of wood on the arm-rests that can 'swing' out so that the English Gent running the plantation (somewhere in the Empire) can stretch out his legs and have his boots removed.

It's a deep seat (you sit far back in it) with a back that's adjustable. This one is from the 20's-30's. Made from hardwood. You can buy repro ones too, but this original I was 'given' by some friends a number of years ago and it's ideal for my summer room.

Thanks for the lovely comments Carter!! Cheers.
Paddy, Thanks for the information. I covet that chair (in a good way)!
I'm looking forward to an avatar of you in your Palm Beach suit. ;) :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
gorgeous Wingnut!!

Looking forward to seeing you again (as is the rest of the family, especially our son Daniel) at the Art Deco Ball in two weeks. Here's a pic of you with Daniel taken at the Yosemite event!
360023930.jpg

The Wingnut said:
Here's a shot of mine.

gatsby_aj_and_gregg.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, you did it to me at last...

I'm dead.

OUTSTANDING, right down to the accessories. How much do you think one lady can take of this?

Never seen Brideshead Revisited, older or new version. LOOOVE the English Patient though... Hubby Chuck definetely needs to get a PB. Saw a white tux dinner jacket on evilBay in Daniel's size, boys 14. Previous tux rental shop goods, but okay for him at this age and the price is right.

PADDY said:
From Venice to Casablanca...Brideshead to The English Patient...the Palm Beach is an iconic piece of Golden Era wear for that 'Under the Sun' look..!

summersuit011.jpg

CASABLANCA009.jpg

BRIDEY2.jpg

Casablanca003.jpg

summersuit002.jpg

summersuit004.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe