Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Palm Beach Fabric

Wild Root said:
Yes gents, that's right! Oxi Clean works very well! I have a late 30's Palm Beach that I've been dieing to wear but, there were ( and do mean WERE) stains on the pants. IIf I had photos of what it looked like before, I'd share but, I don't. I will take some photos of the suit after Oxi Clean so you can see how well it worked!

=WR=

You mean dyeing to wear of course!!!!lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Brits can buy Vanish Liquid for Wool and Silk. Worked like a charm on the BF's cream wool flannel trousers after a good soak.

Check the bottle though, as it is a specific liquid one, not a powder you mix up like Oxi - Clean. Although I recommend that too!

Yours, The Laundry Queen,

Miss Sis.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
thanks for that info! I haven't seen vanish for Silk/wool, I'll have to buy some. I did use the vanish powder to spot clean on a pair of cream wool flannels, with fingers crossed and knowing full well that it would technically eat the wool. They came out great, but of course the fabric will have imperceptibly weakened in the treated areas so i wouldn't want to do it again.

Incidentally, I have washed several pairs of 1930s wool trousers (including these flannels) by soaking in a warm bath, without measurable shrinkage. The key to washing wool is to avoid friction which makes the little hooks in the fibres attach to each other, so you really do need to leave them well alone in the water....just a bit of gentle swishing to push the water through the fabric.

Of course, shrinkage isn't the only danger.....watch out that the ink on any tailors' label doesn't fade! I nearly lost the beautiful 1939 date on above mentioned flannels....

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Is this a "Palm Beach" suit.

I recently found a 2 button patch pocket suit that is a bit to big for me. I picked it up because it was reasonable priced and the tag said Palm Beach and seemed to be a vintage cut. I am hoping that other Loungers will chime in with any info they might have.

The Labels

100_0405-1.jpg
100_0404-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I vote Yes.............

......from the label, but will defer to the vintage experts ; BK, Root, HBK, BS, etc....

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Yes, this is a Palm Beach suit, the label is unmistakeable...but we are going to need more pics to accurately date it. By the looks of the union label it's certainly post 1949.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Goodall Corporation used the Palm Beach label into the '70s, but Palm Beach fabric didn't outlast the 1950s, if I recall correctly.

Get few threads of the fabric separate from the suit if you can, and actually burn the ends. If there's a small pill at the end, it's synthetic and has melted. If there is no pill, it's natural fiber, but not necessarily Palm Beach fabric.

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Calling All Palm Beach Experts

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have long been a fan of summer 'Linen' suits. And always wanted my very own Palm Beach suit. Recently, I was privileged to come across a very decent buy. I do not know if the seller is a member of the lounge but it would be nice if he or she were...maybe to help clear up some confusion. Im sure some of you ladies and gents could help. According to the seller, this is an authentic "30's Palm Beach suit (refer to photographs):

=Jacket=
palmbeachsuitol0.jpg

=Jacket Label=
palmbeachlabelhf7.jpg

=Trousers=
palmbeachtrousershc8.jpg

=Trousers Label=
palmbeachtrouserslabelic3.jpg

My thoughts and questions recently have been focused mainly on the authenticity of the suit as a, hopefully pre-war but maybe post-war find. Having done some research on the history of Palm Beach and their makers it seems that for such suits to be pre '54 they must bear the 'Sanford' label. I read one thread where a gentleman by the name of 'Jamespowers' stated that this MUST be apparent on an authentic Palm Beach suit. So, my question is (and maybe Mr.Jamespowers could help) Judging by all the details that have gone in the suit, it looks to me like 30's to late forties (yes?). Or have I been mistaken by thinking wide lapels weren't apparent after the early fifties? To me, it looks way earlier than that..but I may be wrong. OR Could this one have gotten away with not getting a 'Sanford' label? Either way, I would love to know what I'm working with here before I take the scissors to it and start fitting everything to my specs.

Thanks,
=Adrian=

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinkin' that the Baron is the reigning PB expert. But certainly, HBK, BS, (and the long departed Marc Chevalier) could help a well.

nice suit

The white with orange text label is the one that proves the authenticity - if we can use that word here - of the suit. After the sale, this tag was discontinued.

As for date, hard to tell. Certainly 40s, maybe 30s (button placement would be lower in late 40s and 50s). With the patch pockets it's similar to my other PB.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PB ID

I have a lot of snaps from imageshack that were deleted and are now on a disc I have not uploaded. But the lapels on that jacket look awfully like the PBs 1930s suits in my snaps FWIW as mine did not date later than 1940s...

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
The white with orange text label is the one that proves the authenticity - if we can use that word here - of the suit. After the sale, this tag was discontinued.

As for date, hard to tell. Certainly 40s, maybe 30s (button placement would be lower in late 40s and 50s). With the patch pockets it's similar to my other PB.

bk

Thank you for clearing that up for me Baron. What I meant by 'authenticity' was simply that after '54 the 'Palm Beach' brand was in other hands and made with different fabric material and such. In doing so, authentically, and in my opinion, the genuine Palm Beach suits were made prior to that year. My apologies to cause any confusion. Nice to know mine isn't any older than that ;) I hope to be posting some pictures of it when it gets through my tailor. Like to see some of your PB.

=Adrian=

GarmentMerchant

New in Town
Palm Beach Suits

Does anyone know if Palm Beach still makes suits? If so who is the manufacturer/ distributor of them. I own a store and would love to carry the product (if it still exists). Any help wood be good. I tried googleing them but have little luck

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PB Suit Project

I have two very nice pieces of suiting linen. One of course is off white and is Irish. The other is an Italian Etro fabric with a taupe herringbone style. Pending the choice of a tailor I wanted to ask you guys which jacket style you prefer?

1. 1920s

2. 1930s DB

3. 1940s

SB

DB

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I really like the cut of 3. The lapels are very good. You could wear that one anywhere. With it's flapped pockets, 2 looks casual and outdoorsy: safari, adventure style.

Depends on prospective usage, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe