Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting the photos, hatophile. The felt color on your lid reminds me of the felt color on this Stratoliner -- though, it looks as if the ribbon on yours leans more in the direction of green. Let me just say that the green ribbon against that particular shade of brown felt is spectacular. It's an awesome looking lid. Nice snag!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks for posting the photos, hatophile. The felt color on your lid reminds me of the felt color on this Stratoliner -- though, it looks as if the ribbon on yours leans more in the direction of green. Let me just say that the green ribbon against that particular shade of brown felt is spectacular. It's an awesome looking lid. Nice snag!

Cheers,
JtL

That is a beautiful Strat, JtL. My hat does have a distinct greenish hue to the trim, a very nice contrast to the darker felt color.

I am amazed at the variations in all these hats from the same manufacturers, the models changed significantly from year to year it seems.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[...] I do have several ORs that say OR, but don't look like traditional OR's to me, and several thin ribbons that don't say OR, and look like a spittin' image. I guess, though,
if it don't say it, it ain't.

I know this has been kicked around several times before. And I don't want to open a can of worms. I ask because the overall form and texture doesn't quite look like an OR to me.

Here's what I'm thinking. Some will perhaps agree, many, no doubt, will not. It seems to me that if a hat is marked Open Road (and appears not to have been altered) then it is an Open Road (no matter how it looks). But if a hat doesn't quite look and feel like an Open Road, and is not marked as such, then maybe it's really something else.

Of course, no matter the name, it's still a nice hat. :yo:

Oh, no problem Zet, as I mentioned, it can be confusing, even the same model can have a different lookor feel. I have OR's that vary from 2 1/2 brim to almost 3 inches. Some are stiff, others are as pliable as a Strat. I even have a Strat that to me, anyway, feels like an OR.

In any event, I will double check tonight the model on that hat.

Curioser and Curioser.

... I ask because the overall form and texture doesn't quite look like an OR to me.

... if a hat doesn't quite look and feel like an Open Road,...

Can you explain further how you evaluate an Open Road like this?
I have had ORs from the earliest period, late 50's, the 60's to the 80s & even with Open Road on the sweatband, these hats are very different.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
If the consensus is that any wide brim thin ribbon Stetson of that general style is an Open Road I'm OK with that. We have had this discussion with regard to Playboys and Stratoliners and Whippets too, but I don't remember if or how that ended.

As far as this particular hats goes, I can't put my finger on it. Just something about the over all shape and texture of the hat. I suspect that the feel of the hat is also different. Does it sing Open Road to you, JtL? Doesn't it look as much like a Stratoliner as it does an Open Road. Can we call it a Stratoliner as well?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Good evening gentlemen.

So, I was a bit bored with my Open Road's bash (teardrop, medium pinches), so last night I wet it down and let it dry open crown to remove creases. Today, I had some fun bashing. Everything from potential shapes that it might live in for a while, to random, rather absurd western shapes, that don't make much sense for it. If you see one you like, let me know, I might keep it that way.

Fedora bashes first:

Rough diamond,
Photo38.jpg

Teardrop
Photo33.jpg

Center dent, tight pinch
Photo31.jpg

Center dent, not so tight pinch,
Photo36.jpg

Center dent, side dents,
Photo32.jpg

Now for the westerns.

Cattleman
Photo29.jpg

Photo30.jpg

Telescope
Photo37.jpg

Montana (this is where it starts being silly, I think),
Photo35.jpg

and finally, Gus.
Photo34.jpg

Thoughts?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good evening gentlemen.

So, I was a bit bored with my Open Road's bash (teardrop, medium pinches), so last night I wet it down and let it dry open crown to remove creases. Today, I had some fun bashing. Everything from potential shapes that it might live in for a while, to random, rather absurd western shapes, that don't make much sense for it. If you see one you like, let me know, I might keep it that way.

Fedora bashes first:

Rough diamond,
Photo38.jpg

Teardrop
Photo33.jpg

To me, the first two, the traditional ones, look best. That hat is too much of a good-looking fedora for alternatives, which to my eye are either less good than the first two, or goofy. No harm in playing around with the hat, of course. But that hat naturally falls into a "suave" look reflected in the first two creases, and alternative shapes work against that. Now a cowboy hat might be more malleable style-wise, to my eye. With one of those, a person could try anything, and it would be more natural. Just my thoughts.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
As far as this particular hats goes, I can't put my finger on it. Just something about the over all shape and texture of the hat. I suspect that the feel of the hat is also different. Does it sing Open Road to you, JtL? Doesn't it look as much like a Stratoliner as it does an Open Road. Can we call it a Stratoliner as well?

When I saw Hatophile's lid in the WHAYWT thread, I was curious about the innards, since I had never seen an OR in that particular felt/ribbon color combo. In fact, the closest thing I could think of was the Strat that I mentioned in my reply above. From a stylistic standpoint, I see nothing that wouldn't be consistent with an OR -- that's why I was curious if you could put your finger on what made it different in your view. From my perspective, one could describe that one as OR-style or Strat-style, and either one would be a fair description. But, the color combo had me thinking Strat initially...

Cheers,
JtL

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Good evening gentlemen.

Fedora bashes first:

Center dent, tight pinch
Photo31.jpg

[
Now for the westerns.

Cattleman
Photo29.jpg

Photo30.jpg

Thoughts?

EVERYBODY does the Teardrop or C-Crown with their OR's here so I like the not seen so often center-dent front pintch crease as it is DIFFERENT from the norm here. But the traditional US Cattleman crease would be the first pick for me. And I prefer the standard snap front as opposed to your Hollywood style swooshed brim. JMHO :)

Onward thru the fog :)

When I saw Hatophile's lid in the WHAYWT thread, I was curious about the innards, since I had never seen an OR in that particular felt/ribbon color combo. In fact, the closest thing I could think of was the Strat that I mentioned in my reply above. From a stylistic standpoint, I see nothing that wouldn't be consistent with an OR -- that's why I was curious if you could put your finger on what made it different in your view. From my perspective, one could describe that one as OR-style or Strat-style, and either one would be a fair description. But, the color combo had me thinking Strat initially...

Cheers,
JtL

Well guys, to clear it up, it was not in fact an OR. I checked and it does not say Open Road anywhere on the hat. I must say, to me it was not inconsistent with an OR stylistically, and I think I probably mixed it up with another hat which is an OR and similar color, but more greenish and noncontrasting ribbon. Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures of hats that look similar to me, but are actually different styles.

Regarding your bashes, Yeps, I kind of like the first two best, but to tell you the truth, I rebash my hats quite frequently, depending on my mood. But some of them just look good with only certain bashes, so I leave those alone.
I think any of those would work with that hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82