Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well, this is actually a live Ebay auction, but the starting bid is $499 and the BIN is $649, so there shouldn't be any issues with people running to start a bidding war lol

"THIS REMARKABLE SWIM SUIT WAS DEVELOPED BY COSTUME AND CLOTHING DESIGNER, MARGIT FELLEGI, FOR COLE OF CALIFORNIA, AND COMES DIRECTLY FROM MS. FELLEGI'S PRIVATE COLLECTION OF PROTOTYPES AND ARCHIVAL ORIGINALS!"

!BsyNccw!2k~$(KGrHqQOKkQEvPPq!TzFBL5(TfWgEw~~_3.JPG

D

Deleted member 12480

can't really use a sniping service. I have to save up my pocket money to save on a swirl. I'm not old enough to get a job so if the snipe didn't win it would be kind of a big deal considering i use another person's credit card.

D

Deleted member 12480

can't really use a sniping service. I have to save up my pocket money to spend on a swirl. I'm not old enough to get a job so if the snipe didn't win it would be kind of a big deal considering i use another person's credit card.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deleteduser said:
can't really use a sniping service. I have to save up my pocket money to spend on a swirl.

You know Annie, there are lots of other fabulous vintage dresses out there that will set you back a lot less money! Why not slowly build up your collection with more affordable vintage basics? You'll have lots of time to fill in from there!

Also, what are your measurements? I had a great navy and white wrap style dress posted in the classifieds recently. It's not a waist tie style, but it wraps in the back and has sexy buttons down the back.

D

Deleted member 12480

i know i know, i just long to own a swirl. i suppose i will have to wait.
*sigh*

also i looked at your classified dress, the measurements are slightly out but it is lovely. :)

i think i'll go and find some other vintage dress that makes my heart sing. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deleteduser said:
i know i know, i just long to own a swirl. i suppose i will have to wait.
*sigh*

Almost all of us here have items that we've been pining after for ages. We keep looking and looking til, someday (hopefully), we find what we're looking for in a price we're willing to pay. I spent about 8 months looking for a vintage swimsuit, and I've been looking for a living room chair for almost a year now. Part of buying vintage is accepting that you can't always easily find what you're looking for, and for many here, the hunt is part of the fun. And sometimes we just have to accept that we may not ever be able to own one of those Shaheen dresses or Rose Marie Reid swimsuits :-/

D

Deleted member 12480

i know, i guess i'm impatient.
its just the 'international shipping' that fills a teenager with dread.
i seem to only turn up 'style' items on ebay.uk.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
This is going to sound incredibly ironic coming from me, but the way you'll get the Swirl you want so badly is if you stop posting about them! I can't afford them any more since I started talking about them on my blog and started the thread here, I just wanted to share the love, but I underestimated the power of the Swirl! (and the popularity of both this forum and my blog). There are now so many gals looking for them, and unfortunately, mentioning that you're bidding on one that hasn't ended yet is just going to alert more people to its existence. As is posting up pics of ones you missed. Bide your time, wait for the hype to die down a bit, and you'll snag your Swirl, promise. :)

PS I hope this post doesn't come across as arsey - it certainly isn't meant to be! I want everyone to have at least one as they are so fab, but they have gone a bit silly lately, and I can only assume it's because I see people talking about them everywhere! lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats sound advice for anything vintage. Thats why I NEVER mention patterns Im hunting until the auction is over. I dont want the competition. I dont mind being hush hush if it means a better price for me.

Sorry ladies, all's fair in love and vintage :)

LD

maisie

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
PS I hope this post doesn't come across as arsey - it certainly isn't meant to be! I want everyone to have at least one as they are so fab, but they have gone a bit silly lately, and I can only assume it's because I see people talking about them everywhere! lol

Silly indeed! There was one on the UK ebay, nice but nothing wow, it went for £77! £77 for a cotton day dress, WOW lol!

I agree, just wait until the interest has died down, most people will eventually stop searching. Also I would defintly keep an eye out on etsy as you can buy for the price listed and if sellers don't know what they have, apart from knowing its a cotton day dress/ house dress from the 50's (usually worth $20-$30) you might get lucky! :)

D

Deleted member 12480

thanks everyone. I suppose i'll stop being so desperate and get over them for a while. ;)

Oh and arsy - haha such a british word.
Xx

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Well, this is actually a live Ebay auction, but the starting bid is $499 and the BIN is $649, so there shouldn't be any issues with people running to start a bidding war lol

"THIS REMARKABLE SWIM SUIT WAS DEVELOPED BY COSTUME AND CLOTHING DESIGNER, MARGIT FELLEGI, FOR COLE OF CALIFORNIA, AND COMES DIRECTLY FROM MS. FELLEGI'S PRIVATE COLLECTION OF PROTOTYPES AND ARCHIVAL ORIGINALS!"

!BsyNccw!2k~$(KGrHqQOKkQEvPPq!TzFBL5(TfWgEw~~_3.JPG

I have been staring longingly at that seller's swimsuit auctions for as long as they've been running! I keep hoping that they'll eventually come down on the opening bids, but I doubt they'll ever be in my price range. Great eye candy though!

crwritt

One Too Many
Seamsdistress said:
Hi Gals!
Just when I thought I was whinning and feel bad all alone over a lost ebay auction I found this thread! It feels great to know I'm not the only one who feels bad when you lose an auction. I just lost this little beauty 6 seconds before it ended, gosh I wanted to cry when I saw the " you have been outbidded " come up. Oh well, if by chance anyone on here has a copy and wants to trade/sell me one let me know!

Simplicity1168.jpg

I emailed you! Did you get it?

Foofoogal

Banned
I underestimated the power of the Swirl!
lol lol

Fleur. Did u ever take a look at the purple one I have. It is for a tall women like you. Very early label.

Annie: If in 6 months I do not sell the blue checked one I have that is small I will send it to you. I promise.
Hold me to it and many witnesses.

Foofoogal

Banned
sure Annie. I started collecting at 9 yrs. old. I feel like I am trying to preserve history one piece at a time. To find people who love vintage to share my treasures with is my goal. Sandy
A Swirl dress represents the epitome of the vintage women. I remember how thrilled I was to get my first one.

D

Deleted member 12480

i have the very first blooms of a vintage teacup collection? lol xx

D

Deleted member 12480

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED

thought i was getting away with that - not a real swirl, no real measurements and it only had a bit of time left on it and i was sure i was the only one watching it and someone had to go and break by heart. curse the 'buy it now' function. :'(

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
deleteduser said:
ABSOLUTELY GUTTED

thought i was getting away with that - not a real swirl, no real measurements and it only had a bit of time left on it and i was sure i was the only one watching it and someone had to go and break by heart. curse the 'buy it now' function. :'(

:eek:fftopic:
I love your new avatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld