Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Miss Brill

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
bwbutterfly5.jpg

This one surprised me though--$202.00. It's silk and it has some lovely details though.

Wow--that is stunning!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another one I loved but was much too small (32" bust), and too expensive (starting bid $225, no bids at end of auction). This is exactly what I want to wear to my brother's wedding.

WC171bA.jpg

Brinybay

Practically Family
Here's my latest frustration. These have been selling for anywhere from $300-$400 in my area, sometimes upwards of $800 if in mint condition. I tried calling as soon as the ad came out, but the phone just rang. Tried again the next day and left a message, but they called back and said it sold the first day. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Victrola - $185

Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-01-20, 2:56PM PST

1900-vintage "Victrola" brand.

Dimensions: 22 X 24 X 49.

Good condition--includes fabulous record collection.

victrola.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lauren that is a shame. I wonder who got them and just *what* their intentions are. Do you think the pattern companies today look for these to reprint?

Miss Bella, said loss as well. And Goldwyn.. oy... that was SO cute. Do you think you'll try and copy it out of a regular sweater?

Briny that's a bummer...
Nikki

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Lauren said:
:( :( :( :(
Old store stock, 200 1930's patterns for women and children. I bid $500, which is a heck of a lot of me, and was still outbid. Whoever got these paid under $3 per pattern.
9830_1.JPG

Oh Lauren, I'm so sorry. :( I know you would have put those to good use too, and created such beautiful pieces. One can only hope the winner has similar plans, and didn't just buy the collection for no purpose. :(

lyburnum

Practically Family
I was so, so upset the other day when I lost out on this one:

DSC02459-1.jpg
DSC02471.jpg

DSC02463.jpg
DSC02464.jpg

I'd wanted to wear it for my wedding (been having second thoughts about my handmade dress), and I put a bid of $450 on it, stupidly thinking this would be enough. In the end it went for $610. I sat there and watched it slip away :(

And the really annoying part is that I didn't bid on this Bonwit Teller dress:

e82b_1_sbl.jpg

Because I was so sure I'd get the previous one. The auction ended 4 hours before the previous dress, so I missed out on two :(

I actually have a whole archive of images on my computer of dresses that have sold or I can't afford. I hope one day to reproduce some of them. Mostly I just swoon over their beauty though.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I was so, so upset the other day when I lost out on this one:

I actually have a whole archive of images on my computer of dresses that have sold or I can't afford. I hope one day to reproduce some of them. Mostly I just swoon over their beauty though.

What a shame, they are both very beautiful dresses, let's hope that they went to someone who will appreciate them as much as you would have done.:)

Have you checked out vintageous? There are some terrific dresses on this site and you don't have the stress of it being an auction site. http://www.vintageous.com/dressy.htm

I hope that you find something just gorgeous soon.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yeah I've checked vintageous, but all the dresses I like have already sold :(

I've settled for Whirling Turban - I'm going to have them make me a reproduction 50s wedding dress.

Snookie

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Lauren that is a shame. I wonder who got them and just *what* their intentions are. Do you think the pattern companies today look for these to reprint?

I bet a lot of them will show up back on the bay, selling for $20-$50 a pop. Watch that buyer! ;)

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I'd wanted to wear it for my wedding (been having second thoughts about my handmade dress), and I put a bid of $450 on it, stupidly thinking this would be enough. In the end it went for $610. I sat there and watched it slip away :(

Such a shame you lost out on such a beautiful dress, but if it makes you feel better, I really like the one you made for your self. I wish I had that talent.:)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Oh my gosh, I was watching that purple blouse too! :) I was sorry to see it go, it was a gorgeous design and the COLOR!

Here are a few things that I was loathe to have to pass these by, mostly because the prices soared up, up, and AWAY close to the end.

This was my favorite. It is, I think, the perfect knit set, and THE quintessential winter outfit. With "snowflake" accents, how could ANYONE resist it? Alas, at 89.99$, not just anyone could afford it. :(
97929204_o.jpg

ac60_1.JPG

This one actually didn't go for an obscene amount, I think I just stupidly missed the end. :mad: It's a gorgeous top, though.

Aaaaaand, a PERFECT rayon/gabardine hourglass suit, that I was desperately, desperately hoping would stay fairly low in price and undiscovered, but naturally, that was not to be the case. :rolleyes: Went for 72.60$
brownsuit5.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust-I love the red top. It's so fun.

Miss Hannah-That purple top is to die for. I agree with whoever suggested e-mailing the seller. I did that once and the the seller just sold the item directly to me.

Lybarnum- Those dresses are stunning. I really liked the one you made also. I hope you will post pictures of the Whirling Turban one. I have been wanting to order from them for a while now.

Brinybay- That Victrola is amazing. I used to pass an antique store in California that had one in the window. I have been wanting one ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe