Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

HatsRme, yep! I was pretty happy, since I rarely receive compliments from others when out and about!

Landman, that is pretty cool!

Which of your hats were you wearing? It's always interesting to note which hats draw comments, especially those great unfiltered ones like that. Also interesting to feel the change in people, consciously or subconsciously.

And yes, Landman, you got supreme approval. Obviously the man "knew from hats!" Great story!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Haha, I'd love to see pics of it sometime! My favorite part on my Penn is the felt. It is grey, but has an almost purple undertone to it. Very sleek brand. Too bad there are not too many examples around!

Haha, I'd love to see pics of it sometime! My favorite part on my Penn is the felt. It is grey, but has an almost purple undertone to it. Very sleek brand. Too bad there are not too many examples around!

The way he keeps his hat, you probably wouldn't be too impressed. I have no idea what happened to the liner. I suppose the outside of the hat looks pretty good.
The Penn hat is hard to find but try finding a Hopkins felt. Those are really rare. :p

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The way he keeps his hat, you probably wouldn't be too impressed. I have no idea what happened to the liner. I suppose the outside of the hat looks pretty good.
The Penn hat is hard to find but try finding a Hopkins felt. Those are really rare. :p

I see! I see your Hopkins, and raise you a Lenox. I believe I may have the only one on the lounge... and I do hope that's not the case :eeek:

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Today I recieved four compliments on my 30's Penn-Craft.

The first was after a job interview (I got the job :D), a new friend said he really likes my hat.

The second was inside of an antique home furnishing store. The owner came up to me and said, "Where did you find that stylish hat? I like it!"

The third was on the bus. An older gentleman sat across from me, and said,"Where did you get that nice nice hat from? I used to wear one like that all the time!"

The fourth was the bus driver. After we all got off the bus, the driver went on break, but not before jokingly following me, then taking it and running off! Haha, what a great day!

Monte

Practically Family
Two antique shops--two different ladies said they liked my hat (modern Beaver Hats hat) and that I looked good in hats. One said I should do ads for hats....haha. Loved that one.

Monte

Practically Family
I'm on this page... again?? My wife seems to talk me out of wearing a lid by saying, "Oh, you look sooo good already...a hat would just be over the top."
I guess I'll have to remember that one and think twice.
My bro-in-law had his b-day party at a hot spot last night with a group of his 30ish yr. old friends. They all asked, "Where's your hat? while they ordered their steaks.
I sat down by one of them who was wearing a brown fedora he purchased while living in Japan. We talked shop for quite a while and he was really into it. He spoke of a few hats he no longer had care of like they were lost family members. It was a kick to talk to a fanatic who matched my enthusiasm for lids.

I'm on this page... again?? My wife seems to talk me out of wearing a lid by saying, "Oh, you look sooo good already...a hat would just be over the top."
I guess I'll have to remember that one and think twice.
My bro-in-law had his b-day party at a hot spot last night with a group of his 30ish yr. old friends. They all asked, "Where's your hat? while they ordered their steaks.
I sat down by one of them who was wearing a brown fedora he purchased while living in Japan. We talked shop for quite a while and he was really into it. He spoke of a few hats he no longer had care of like they were lost family members. It was a kick to talk to a fanatic who matched my enthusiasm for lids.

Poor Monte!;) Promise the Mrs. that you'll wear "Women repellent."

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I had two comments yesterday. Went to lunch and was stopped on the sidewalk. A dude in his 30's said he really liked my hat. I was wearing my grey Borso Savoy. He said he liked that hats were "coming back". I said that I had always liked hats, but that I had recently started purchasing the real deal vintage stuff a little over a year ago. Then I went to a consignment shop looking for... hats. The two ladies behind the counter were smitten. :) They were probably in their 40's and 50's, flirting like they were in their 20's. It was funny.

I had two comments yesterday. Went to lunch and was stopped on the sidewalk. A dude in his 30's said he really liked my hat. I was wearing my grey Borso Savoy. He said he liked that hats were "coming back". I said that I had always liked hats, but that I had recently started purchasing the real deal vintage stuff a little over a year ago. Then I went to a consignment shop looking for... hats. The two ladies behind the counter were smitten. :) They were probably in their 40's and 50's, flirting like they were in their 20's. It was funny.

So you got a couple phone numbers then?:p

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'd be thrilled to hear that too, Justin! Nice going!

I actually got a good one over the weekend, while driving through a Caribou Coffee with my Knudsen Bat Masterson bowler in the passenger seat.

"Here's your milk chocolate mocha, here's your dark, and that is an epic hat. I love it." said the lovely barista.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This weekend I was in St.Louis, MO for a Region Championship USA Gymnastics meet. I had completed my coaching duties, went to the hotel showered, changed and was boarding the Hilton Hotel shuttle for a trip for a barbeque dinner. I was with a bunch of other coaches. My VS Wanderer was topping my bald pate. The driver, who was wearing a cap, opened the door, stopped the crowd and said that the group should step aside for the "classy short guy with the fedora." The crowd parted and I stepped first into the shuttle. Being a coach I held my hand out and got high 5's from the others as they obediently filed in to take seats. I sat in front and talked hats to the driver. We spoke about the current state of hats and the vintage hats each of us desired. I passed him a business card to check in with me about some hats. When we arrived to the resturaunt, I stayed a moment as he showed me his smart phone Ebay ap and asked about a couple of hats he was bidding on. It was fun to meet another hat fan. I went into the barbeque place and found my fellow coaches anxious to hear about hats. For much of the pre-dinner they asked questions about hats. It quickly changed, but they did listen or ask. On the way back to the hotel, the driver and I spoke about hats and life. The others rode and some listened to our conversation. I do not think I had ever been treated as an "expert" about hat matters before. Into the shuttle, out of the shuttle, both time coaches stood aside. I could easily get used to that. Practically, that will not happen, but it was an enjoyable experience.

Hatted with peers in greater confidence, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe