Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The man with 100 hats...

fatwoul

Practically Family
DOUGLAS said:
:eek:fftopic:

After seeing all the hats people have been posting I've been wondering if it might be a good idea to create a permanent sticky showing different brands of hats and the variety of styles and colors of each. I think that this would make a great tool for research and reference. I think most of us would appreciate something like that and it will be surprising to see the vast amount of variation of models we all have.

I think that thread would be a great tool for everyone. I know it sounds terribly bureaucratic of me, but I think format would be the key: if every hat was displayed in as similar a way as possible, and the same details given about it - for example, crown height, brim size, ribbon width, felt content, felt stiffness, etc - together with a free-for-all comment section to add whatever other information didn't fit elsewhere.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DOUGLAS said:

After seeing all the hats people have been posting I've been wondering if it might be a good idea to create a permanent sticky showing different brands of hats and the variety of styles and colors of each. I think that this would make a great tool for research and reference. I think most of us would appreciate something like that and it will be surprising to see the vast amount of variation of models we all have.

To quoute that well known ad slogan,
"Just do it!":)

dean

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Add a Glossary to that Sticky.

DOUGLAS said:

YES! We would very much appreciate it. :)

You Mad Hatters know everything, and we admire you for that, but those of us who are, shall I say, barely flipping our lids want to know what's what. For instance, a glossary filled with specific images of, or pointing out, certain hat parts and their styles, such as brim edges and types of bashes. (It took me a few days just to figure out a snap brim, and that's a Hats 101 subject. :eusa_doh:)

We see pictures and read words, but even as helpful as they are, most of the time it's dificult to put the two together because there's either no picture or pictures of more than one hat, and we don't always know which hat is being discussed. As it stands now, it's a stultifyingly slow process for those of us who want to learn more. A sticky with a photographic glossary would be helpful beyond measure.

Thank you,
Lee

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:

This is indeed a FANTASTIC idea! As a new comer when it comes to hats and have been spending a considerable amount of time here in the lounge trying to learn my way into the subject (the wife is already complaining, as I spent the whole Sunday online reading the Lounge. “Are you on that hat site again”. “All I see on your computer screen lately are pictures of hats”) this new sticky could really make things easier. As somebody struggling with terms like dimensional brim, non dimensional brim, 3x, 2x, etc, a sticky with hat terms (and also suits and other things in the respective forum sections) would also be a great idea. It’s so hard to learn something when all you find ahead are terms you have no idea of what they mean.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
To some extent, this has already been done. Not so long ago, there was a spate of threads that were designed to serve as a catalogue of certain hats, yes? For example, "The Dobbs Diner," "At the Dog Track...The Whippets," "Show us Your Stetson Playboys," etc., etc.

Perhaps the sticky should simply provide links to threads that catalogue particular styles of hats...

Just a thought...

Cheers,
JtL

DOUGLAS

Although it may be nice to dedicated stickies for reference. Jimmy the Lid may be right. There have been threads before. It may be very difficult to cull all the info and control it. It may also take up a huge amount of space on the server to categorize each companies hats, There would be hundreds of hats. I am not sure that the boss will be willing to give up that much space. For this type of undertaking is started permission will need to be given and there will need to be a standard as to what info is needed and how many categories there can be.

AlanC

jimmy the lid said:
To some extent, this has already been done. Not so long ago, there was a spate of threads that were designed to serve as a catalogue of certain hats, yes? For example, "The Dobbs Diner," "At the Dog Track...The Whippets," "Show us Your Stetson Playboys," etc., etc.

Perhaps the sticky should simply provide links to threads that catalogue particular styles of hats...

This is done for what are deemed 'Hall of Fame' threads (HOF) at Ask Andy and at Style Forum. I think it a very good approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust