Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Malone jacket...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know that Armani had created the clothing for The Untouchables, but where could one find the coat the Sean Connery wore as Malone? It looks a lot like a tweed hunting jacket with little or no padding in the soulders. It has a belt back, patch pockets and a yoke over the shoulders on the back. It looks lie a very soft and comfortable coat. the buttoned down pactch pockets are a nice touch.
untouchables08.jpg
untouch-film.jpg

untouchables07.jpg
untouch-paper.jpg
sean_connery_the_untouchables.jpg

The jacket that Mr. Connery is wearing with the Tommy Gun appears to be a different jacket as it has adjustment tabs on the cuffs. I'd like to get something made that is a nice cross between the two.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. I presume this may have been covered before but my search results came up snake eyes. Thank you in advance for any help any of you can provide.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A corduroy huh? Yeah, I suppose that it does look like corduroy in the bigger image. I always thought it to be a really soft looking tweed. I suppose the knit cable vest he sports is from his tailor as well. I always like that one but could never find that color.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Bump!

Here is an article on the clothes of the film & some more pictures. The articke says that Malone's coat is a Norfolk Jacket in a brown twill tweed. It seems to have some elements of a Norfolk but not all. I guess similar to a Keepers jacket without the shoulder gun pad.

http://clothesonfilm.com/the-untouchables-thirties-giorgio-armani-part-2/4651/
http://clothesonfilm.com/the-untouchables-thirties-giorgio-armani-part-one/2481/

The-Untouchables_Sean-Connery_Norfolk-jacket_.JPG

The-Untouchables_Sean-Connery_Norfolk-jacket-full.JPG

The-Untouchables_Sean-Connery_rear-Norfolk-jacket.JPG

Some of the elements remind me of the J Peterman Victoria Falls jacket that Hemingway Jones has, especially the yoke, reverse pleat & half belt back.

I also really like the grey shawl cardigan that Connery wears in the shots up near the Canadian border.
The-Untouchables_Sean-Connery-cardigan-side-cap.JPG

Looks similar to the one that Daniel Craig wore in Quantum. A Bond inspiring a Bond. I think that Magnoli has this one in his knitwear lineup. Another item that would be neat to fins is the blue, white & green scarf that Connery has at the border scenes as well. I haven't seen anything even close to it.

Here's a quote about the designing of the costumes. Kind of interesting.

Please note, Giorgio Armani did not design The Untouchables costumes. The designer is Marilyn Vance-Straker who commissioned Armani to manufacture the suits that she designed. In fact, in the end, Vance-Straker was so unhappy with the job Armani had done she ended up redoing all of the clothes.

Marilyn Vance-Straker: “I had engaged an Italian fashion company [Armani] to be my manufacturer, and went to Italy to develp the look for the characters. I bought fabric swatches, suit and coat shapes from the 1930s and color charts for each of the character groups. Before leaving for Italy, these character boards, fabrics, and color charts were approved by director Brian De Palma.

“The clothes arrived late, exaggerated looking, and mostly unusable. The entire Paramount studio’s tailor shop came to Chicago and started from scratch for the principal actors. My crew tells horror stories of overdying the suits that arrived from Italy. In desperation we used them on extras, including overcoats.”

This quote is from the book “Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design,” by Deborah Nadoolman Landis.

Anyway, I'm still on the quest for a jacket very similar to Malone's. Might just have to ask Magnoli to make me one, just need to know how many duckets I need to save up.

Cheers!

Dan

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The jacket is corduroy, I think all the info on the film from that site about clothes on film is just conjecture from watching the film. She also say's it's Armani, but that's because that's the clothier in the credits. I read a few years ago about the jacket being corduroy and could just see it in the film... Connery had his own ideas for the look of his character and just went with his own tailor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust