Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1940's Blue-Green Velour

This arrived today and was a huge surprise - whoever owned it was the pimpinest dude of the decade:

MallorySide.jpg

MalloryFront.jpg

MallorySideUnB.jpg

MalloryLogosx2.jpg

MalloryBottom.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Sweet Jesus, Scott.
I know what you'll be wearing on St Paddy's Day.
To be sure!

Interesting that the dates on the lining and sweat don't line up.

HAHA! That is EXACTLY what my girlfriend said when I showed it to her.

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
HAHA! That is EXACTLY what my girlfriend said when I showed it to her.

Very nice hat ScottF! I wonder if the liner was added later? Any signs of that? Also, are there any reorder tags?

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Very nice hat ScottF! I wonder if the liner was added later? Any signs of that? Also, are there any reorder tags?

B

Thanks. Check the stitching, size tag - it all is consistent. Unfortunately, nothing under the sweat.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Being green

ScottF,

A unique Mallory!

Probably, the difference between the 'since 18..' dates relates to the circumstance that the labels on the crown liners switched to mentioning 1817 instead of 1823 after Mallory was incorporated by Stetson. Around the time of the production of your hat, all old liners were gone, while an old sweatband was still at hand.[huh]

ps. How about the promised NOS-state of the Mallory? It's brother hat (a thin ribbon 7 1/4 Mallory offered by the same seller at the same time) is on its way, crossing the Atlantic, to this house. ;)

:) Any modern marketing trick goes waaay over my head. Wearing a hat with "For Youthful Smartness" on the liner ...boosts my self-confidence, all day long.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Exciting surprise, thats some "Youthful Smartness". Probably dates around the Stetson takeover since they stayed in the same facility newer components would be used with those on hand. That color will wake you up when you look in the mirror. Now you need a Teal Zoot Suit.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Bantam Man said:
ScottF,

A unique Mallory!

Probably, the difference between the 'since 18..' dates relates to the circumstance that the labels on the crown liners switched to mentioning 1817 instead of 1823 after Mallory was incorporated by Stetson. Around the time of the production of your hat, all old liners were gone, while an old sweatband was still at hand.[huh]

ps. How about the promised NOS-state of the Mallory? It's brother hat (a thin ribbon 7 1/4 Mallory offered by the same seller at the same time) is on its way, crossing the Atlantic, to this house. ;)

:) Any modern marketing trick goes waaay over my head. Wearing a hat with "For Youthful Smartness" on the liner ...boosts my self-confidence, all day long.

Okay, I see what you and Buler are referring to now. The stitching where the un-reeded sweatband is attached, is 1940's. The edge is an overwelt that is so well done that it appears to be a Cavanagh edge - tough to tell even with a 10x magnifier (I imagine the velour finish helps hide the stitching).

NOS? Very very close - there are no flaws, but there is some of that thin translucent brown flake paper in side the crown, especially behind the liner. Is that paper that the boxes were stuffed with? I have had that in other hats, but I've never seen sheets of paper that was made of the stuff.

That one you won really looked great from the bottom - I'm thinking you probably also got a great deal. Comparing the two, yours also has an obvious 1940's sweatband stitching, and also the same liner as mine.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Exciting surprise, thats some "Youthful Smartness". Probably dates around the Stetson takeover since they stayed in the same facility newer components would be used with those on hand. That color will wake you up when you look in the mirror. Now you need a Teal Zoot Suit.

I like your theory - I had forgotten about the '1817/1823' liner thing, but now I remember Dinerman posting liner pictures (and I even contributed...then forgot :eusa_doh: ).

Yes, very surprising - the only time I've seen hats of this color tied to the '40s was in Turner colorized movies :p

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fifteen

Got my first Fifteen (XV). Its a newer Stetson era Mallory. Nice clay color with brown ribbon. Thick duplex (cav) edge. Overall an excellent hat.

B

fifteen_1.jpg

fifteen_2.jpg

fifteen_3.jpg

fifteen_4.jpg

fifteen_5.jpg

fifteen_6.jpg

fifteen_7.jpg

fifteen_8.jpg

fifteen_9.jpg

fifteen_10.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Ten Premier Homburg

Here is a great color Mallory Ten homburg Premier quality. I like the angled ribbon bow pinch. Same color as my Dallas from post #25 in this thread.

B

ten_1_alt.jpg

ten_2.jpg

ten_3.jpg

ten_4.jpg

ten_5.jpg

ten_6.jpg

ten_7.jpg

ten_8.jpg

ten_9.jpg

ten_10.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Olive lightweight

4395913342_35b508d454_b.jpg
4395913684_f4f2713376_b.jpg

4395146445_cbd64f7cba.jpg

No liner. Doesn't say The Dallas or Pliafelt but matches the hat above in felt, style and dimensions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe