Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Confessional Thread

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Between 2 - 2 1/4" is not too narrow. Stingies are below 2 inches..
I believe a moderate crown with some taper could balance the length and thinness of your face.

Of course this is subjective and people will (and should) wear what they like!

2" - 2 1/4" is too narrow for my liking. My minimum is 2 3/8" which I find works for me. However, I am considering a slightly wider brim 2 1/2" to 2 5/8" once I can afford a custom. As for the crown, I like a teardrop, so a crown of 5 1/2" is what's needed if the hat is to fit low isn't it?

Feraud

Bartender
avedwards said:
As for the crown, I like a teardrop, so a crown of 5 1/2" is what's needed if the hat is to fit low isn't it?
We could be talking apples and oranges with regards to hat height and taper. I suggest some taper to a crown to balance our your long face. This is not to suggest whether a 5 1/2" crown with work. You can find a 5 1/2 crown blocked straight and square and one with taper. The fedora in your avatar has a very blocky look to it. A hat in similar dimension but with slight taper to the crown is what I suggested above.

Also, I don't believe a hat needs to fit low to buck the wind. This may be an issue of fit. Your head may be an oval and your fedoras are not fitting correctly. I have hats of varying brim and crown dimensions and find hats that fit correctly will stand a good amount of wind. Now that I think of it.. raw edges are slightly better than other brim treatments in this regard too.

sorry for the :eek:fftopic: chatter!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
All my hats have thin ribbons except one custom recreation of a 1880's Montana Peak and an Akubra Squatter.

I don't own a brim narrower than 2 3/4, and only one of those.

I wear a felt OR/clone about every day, to work on weekdays and to town on the weekends. I wear a Steton felt beater on the weekend, fishing or chores around the place.

All my hats have a western flavor, includng my OR's with a teardrop crease. It's a Wyoming thing. I have a couple of wide brim westerns that I rarely wear.

I have one Sunbody straw for when it's really hot.

I have a couple of heavy tweed 8-panel newsboys for when it's really cold.

Confessions:

I have paid too much for some of my hats.

My wife doesn't know how many hats I've purchased in the last year.

I wear a ball cap if I have really nasty work to do, such as servicing the tractor.

I've been disappointed with a couple of Ebay purchases. I didn't ask the right questions. I didn't want to tip off other buyers and got hosed.

Indy Fedoras turn me off. I get that Indy comment often enough wearing an OR.

I will probably never own: stingy brims, wide ribbons, porkpies, bowlers, tophats, boaters, or Hombergs.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I don't like straw hats or stingy brims. Some people look good in them, but they're not for me.

I want a fedora with a huge brim like the Shadow has. And you better believe that I'll wear it!

T-shirt and denim is my main outfit of choice, either shorts when its warm, or black jeans when its cold. I have a few short sleeve "rocker" type shirts with flames/dragons/skulls that I use for "dressing up".

I want to dress in nicer, but have no idea where to start.

Since finding the FL, I've been wearing my hat every day, no matter how I'm dressed.

I love the strange looks I get wearing my fedora and my black utilikilt.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Inusuit said:
Do we need a confession thread dedicated solely to this topic?

Fedora Jay said:
I love the strange looks I get wearing my fedora and my black utilikilt.
That's because they expected a bowler.

Tiller

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I don't understand seeing hat or suit wearing as rebellious.

:eek:fftopic:
I'd say it's the reverse hippie "thing". The hippie movement rejected everything from their parents generation. "Don't trust anyone over 30" being the battle cry of their community. So those of us who reject hippiedom tend to glorify the generate that they despised. Some people do it through the pure punk way (where seeing such stickers/bumper stickers as "Kill all Hippies" isn't hard to find), well others use the nostalgic look of their Grandparents, and Great-Grandparents.

The thing with aesthetics is most people are attempting to project their personality through their clothing. One way to reject the hippie ideal (and casual looks in general) is to wear a suit and hat like you've come out of a Hercule Poirot novel. It's a show of respect (for people around my age and a bit older) to that "other 30" crowd of 40 plus years ago that the hippie movement despised, well rejecting the now much older ideals of the former hippies. Or in other words once those former young hippies became the establishment, people who aren't happy with their ideals, or their world used that style as a way to express their rejection of their parents.

Some people also see it as a rejection of what most people conform to today (as far as style). Since casual is the norm, the best way to be an individualist is through more formal wear. Interestingly such people usually would (probably) have worn more casual clothing during more formal times. It's basically a big "screw you" towards people who look at you oddly for the way you dress. Or in other words it's a way to stick out, and get attention through your own individuality through clothing.

For others still it's about conserving an earlier sub-culture. This seems even more true when it comes to the rockabilly crowd who are conserving the Teddy Boy subculture of Great Britain.

And the rest of us? Well we like the clothes, and the style. It's as simple as that lol.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
feltfan said:
That's because they expected a bowler.

I don't think a bowler would look too good on me.

I'll get a picture in the next few days, my computer is down right now, and I can only post from work.

MattJH

One Too Many
Wow! This is my first time back here since making the thread. I had no idea it would garner this much activity, but I'm sure glad it did! This thread has taught me a few things:

01) I'm not alone in my confessions
02) The Fedora Lounge is far more diverse than it seems from a cursory glance (thank goodness!)
03) I'm really, really glad I found this place those few years back

And I agree with feltfan:

feltfan said:
WRT criticism of others, here's hoping this doesn't get out of
hand- some known predilections of specific members have already
been broached.

While I love candid discussions more than subdued, ignore-the-elephant-in-the-room types, there's a fine line between being open and being rude, so let's try to avoid directly insulting anybody -- there have been a few replies that awkwardly balanced down the trip wire.

A few more additions:

When I get a "new" vintage hat, sometimes I'm more excited about what I might find under the sweatband than being excited about the acquirement of the hat itself

I don't like fussing with my hats in public at all as (ironically enough) I don't like calling attention to myself, but behind closed doors, I'm often found meticulously inspecting the felt and the creasing before putting it on

It's of my opinion that hat feathers were invented to make me steam out the bulge they leave in the ribbon after I remove them and throw them in the garbage

I never took particular note of Indiana Jones' hat until after I started reading The Fedora Lounge (no, really!), and it took me a while to even begin to understand the fascination -- now I get it, although I'm still not much of an Indy guy outside of enjoying the movies

It drives me and my OCD crazy when I get a hat and don't have a brand-matching hatbox to store it in, and I'll often consider my collection incomplete until I find one (WTB: Cavanagh hat box - have Dobbs or Brooks Brothers, will trade!)

I have never once handled a Stetson, vintage or modern, that I liked enough to keep; I've sold every last one of them, and still don't own one -- this saddens me, as Philadelphia is my home and I consider Stetson an integral part of this city's history, so I'm still on the hunt

Quite a few times, I've typed up a thread about eBay search query techniques, but could never bring myself to post it as, selfishly, I knew it would help others find hats that I don't want them to find

Likewise, there is a specific dream hat of mine that I've often considered posting about, but I'm afraid to inadvertently inform others of it who don't know about it, but should I ever acquire one, EVERYBODY will know about it!

I am envious, jealous, and often find myself coveting the collections of participants here with my head size who have far better collections than mine (Tortswon, carter, Ande, cookie and jimmy the lid, I'm looking at you! ;))

nulty

One of the Regulars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit

feltfan said:
Do we need a confession thread dedicated solely to this topic?

I remember when I realized something had gone wrong in this scenario when I told my wife to get some cash from my wallet and she found all the money order receipts from the hats I had been buying.......Thank god my children were in the room or my undoing would have been that much more horrible...:eek:

We soon straightened that out and were able to understand each other once more....

anon`

One Too Many
Hat related:
-I, too, dislike thin ribbons.
-I also dislike the Open Road. Not sure if that's a thin ribbon thing, or a cattleman's crease thing.
-I don't collect hats. I hoard them. I seem to lack the gene that allows me to control the impulse to not buy a non-furry hat that fits. Figuring out what the hell to do with it is usually an afterthought.
-I never wear a suit without a hat.
-I almost always handle my hats by the crown. Sometimes by the brim, but that's usually out of convenience.
-I would kill for a period overseas cap with crimson and white piping.
-Outside of removing it when I enter a building, I only bother with "hatiquette" when it's convenient for me.

Not so hat related:
-I would dress like Badger every day, if only I could find a suitable bowler.
-I rarely bother with a suit these days. My current standard uniform are good ol' 501s, Doc 1460s and a t-shirt that proudly proclaims my allegiance to either Oregon State or some band you've never heard of. Sometimes it includes a scally cap or newsboy, if I remember to put one on before I leave the house.
-I am a profound fan of metal, electronica and non-American folk music.
-And a self-professed geek in multiple fields.
-I've spent more money on swords, armour and reconstructed Viking Age kit than I have on the rest of my wardrobe.

=)

I've not been a hat wearer long enough to have any confessions worth reading, and only own two hats anyway, but I'm curious about something: do any of you have a feather in your fedora, or do keep them feather-less, as seems to be the practice herebouts? I found a hat at Goodwill that was quite shot, but it had three nice small feathers - orange, green and blue - that look neat together and turned out (to my eye) to really go nicely in the ribbon of my new beige fedora. So I keep it there.

Anyone else keep a feather in their hat, or am I the only one?

Viper Man

Banned
I usually go without the feather and I think this is true for most folks here. However, I have a couple of hats that do have feathers in them but it's only because they looked like they belonged there. FYI, both of those feathers are vintage and came with vintage hats that I have purchased. It's also worth noting that they are very tasteful in their appearance and do not overpower the hat. That is key for me.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tiller said:
:eek:fftopic:
I'd say it's the reverse hippie "thing". The hippie movement rejected everything from their parents generation. "Don't trust anyone over 30" being the battle cry of their community. So those of us who reject hippiedom tend to glorify the generate that they despised. Some people do it through the pure punk way (where seeing such stickers/bumper stickers as "Kill all Hippies" isn't hard to find), well others use the nostalgic look of their Grandparents, and Great-Grandparents.
The "hippies killed the hat" myth is almost as persistent
as the "JFK killed the hat when he didn't wear one to his
inauguration" myth. From my subjective memory, I'd say
hippies wore more hats than punks (unless you count those
ska boys).
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=222959&postcount=7
Remember that hat production started to taper, if you will,
after the 1920s.

anon` said:
-I would dress like Badger every day, if only I could find a suitable bowler.
I don't recall Norbert Sykes wearing a bowler?

3259887634_a33b2cccab.jpg

Dinner42

New in Town
Confessions

Ok let's get it all off my chest.

This is my first post. I've been watching from the corner of the room.

I'm actually a cowboy type with mostly western hats which I wear every day but bought a fedora a few years back and love it. Now I have another on order from Art Fawcett and....and...and (this is a tough admission) I took one of my smaller black western hats to the local hatmaker last week and had it converted to a beautiful fedora. I think there my be a law here in Wyoming against that. DON'T GIVE ME UP TO THE AUTHORITIES!

I don't take my hat off in restaurants or public places (it's not customary here to do so) because I'm darn sure not going to lay a $500 hat on the table to get coffee spilled on it or leave it on a hat rack where someone just may abscond with it. If fine restaurants return to the custom of having secure cloak rooms, then I'll consider using them.

I never feel self conscious in a hat even on those occasions when perhaps I should.

When I paid $400 for a straw last year I suspect my wife was considering having me committed. She said something about $400 worth of grass.

I wear my fedoras with short pants. (This really sounds worse than it is as I have the legs for it)

I recently revealed to Art my ignorance as to a certain crown shape term and he LOL'ed me.

Finally I seem to have developed an addiction to fedoras but I thinking rehab may help. Or perhaps a 12 step program - my VS fedora will be step 3, so 9 more hats and I'll be cured.

Ya think?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
my opinion...

I started wearing hats last year. Bought a cheap wool felt in NYC to take to my honeymoon in Italy.
Discovered Borsalino in Roma. "Forgot" the cheap wool hat in our hotel in Roma and only "realized" about it on our train to Orvieto.
Spent Bush's stimulus check in Roma at the Borsalino Store in Piazza del Popolo.
Now I own 9 felt hats from which three of them are vintage Borsalinos, one early 1930's Knox vagabond my wife found on the street and a couple of Guerra 1855
I don't like thin ribbons..
I really hate those trendy hats you see these days on the streets with tiny brims.
The shortest brim I own is 2 3/4 and will never, ever wear something less that that. Gave away a gorgeous vintage Borsalino because the brim was 2''
I love straw hats. Own a Montecristi--ridiculously thin weave-- I bought myself from Marcial Espinal (Simon's father) 10 years ago when I lived in Ecuador (I was born in Quito, relocated to NYC in 2000) and a lower grade Montecristi Optimo I bought in Pile and a gorgeous Borsalino Cuenca I got in Milano, Italia.
I wear a hat every day. I don't wear a hat when I play soccer because, well, Because!
I hate Indiana Jones and his hat but I respect those who love him, (my wife included)
I hate when coworkers whistle the Indiana Jones theme song when I enter my office and wish I had his whip to scare the hell out of them :)
I'm looking for a Stetson Whippet 71/8 and a wooden hat flange same size.
I remove my hat when eating at a restaurant, except if it is outside. Also in churches when my wife and I go to see religious art work. And when common sense and courtesy advises it.
I swore to god to not buy more hats after the first Borsalino. Became an atheist two days later.
Great post this one!
Aureliano

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe