Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I've *ever* heard a 40s song on our "oldies" channel. I remember growing up, they played quite a bit of 50s and 60s. Lately, it is more 80s than anything and when I heard REM, I had to turn it off.

There is an AM station here that plays a good of oldies, including some 30s and 40s music.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So while I agree with the idea of "changing the channel" I would like to see more tasteful things out there. While in reality whoever produces it, writes it, and transmits it has the right to produce anything they want (as long as they do not violate any laws in doing so), I would personally like more (what I would consider) tasteful content to be produced, willingly, by such organizations.

If other people want to listen to some of the stuff out there that I find in bad taste, or go to see some of what I see as absolutely mindless and juvenile movies and TV out there, that is fine with me. I don't actually want to block their ability to access such content or stop it from being made. If it is not my family, it is not my business what others watch or listen to. However, I would like more choices in television, movies, and radio that are family friendly but not mind-numbing for adults. So that I can switch the channel to something that is more tasteful.

rue

I don't think I've *ever* heard a 40s song on our "oldies" channel. I remember growing up, they played quite a bit of 50s and 60s. Lately, it is more 80s than anything and when I heard REM, I had to turn it off.

There is an AM station here that plays a good of oldies, including some 30s and 40s music.

REM? :rolleyes:

Good idea... I'll check out the AM stations and see what I can find. I forgot about that, because the AM radio in Ohio didn't have anything except religious stuff.

rue

So while I agree with the idea of "changing the channel" I would like to see more tasteful things out there. While in reality whoever produces it, writes it, and transmits it has the right to produce anything they want (as long as they do not violate any laws in doing so), I would personally like more (what I would consider) tasteful content to be produced, willingly, by such organizations.

If other people want to listen to some of the stuff out there that I find in bad taste, or go to see some of what I see as absolutely mindless and juvenile movies and TV out there, that is fine with me. I don't actually want to block their ability to access such content or stop it from being made. If it is not my family, it is not my business what others watch or listen to. However, I would like more choices in television, movies, and radio that are family friendly but not mind-numbing for adults. So that I can switch the channel to something that is more tasteful.

I've given up on TV. The only thing worth watching is the weather channel, the History Channel and TCM.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I doubt the content of shows in general is going to change much in the way of being more clean cut cause generally that's just not the way life is. People go for realism vs. Leave It To Beaver cause no family is like that. The "FX" channel on basic cable has a few great shows going for it. "Louie", "Breaking Bad", and "Sons of Anarchy". These are great shows that are on late and have more original and interesting content than anything I've seen on T.V. in a while. It might not be for little ty ty to watch or people whose ears get hurt by "naughty words", but for a lot of adults this is great stuff. One of those shows won an award I believe. It's all available, I dunno what the problem is. There's older programming re-runs of G rated stuff on all the time. There's sitcoms where every husband is a moron. There's Dancing with Hasselhoff, or English people know American talent. There's something for everyone.

The cool thing about having a radio, a t.v., or watching a podcast is that you can change the station. That way if you wanna listen to stuff that is safe enough for your ears or was groundbreaking 70 years ago, you could find it somewhere.

Before anyone goes on the attack, I can appreciate all eras and styles of comedy. So long as it's not too hacky or boring.

The problem is that, increasingly, there is nothing to change the channel to. If you're watching or listening to something that's bad or offensive, whatever is on the other channels is guaranteed to be just as bad.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
You can't even swear on regular(non cable) television last time I checked. Turn the t.v. on right now and I guarantee you wont find a single Lethal Weapon on or the like.

Radio stations? I've heard one rock station that had swear words in a song and it was played after 11p.m.

Last edited:
We have one oldies station here and although they advertise as 40s and 50s, they throw in a lot of hippie dippie 60s and 70s type stuff :mad:

Nowadays the only time you hear anything from the '40s or '50s on the radio is during the holiday season. And even Bing Crosby's White Christmas played every 15 minutes eventually becomes tiresome.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, not sure what anyone else get's on the radio during Christmas, but around here they play some nice things yet, they toss into the works some fairly goofy stuff, you know, "Grandma got run over by a raindeer" and the barking dogs singing Christmas songs...it gets dull fast.

I normally pull out the tapes or CD's of what I like to hear and get them going. That way I have some sanity control!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Television, I like the PBS stations, and things like Mystery, Wild Kingdom, the TCM channel. I watch the news, but not all news. I dislike some news channels as they put their own "political" spin on things, instead of just reporting the news.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I guess my problem is I'd rather not live in a society where there's a mainstream audience for such trash as we have surrounding us now. It's like having a dead rat in the cellar -- even when you can't see it, you can tell it's there from the stink.

rue

Nowadays the only time you hear anything from the '40s or '50s on the radio is during the holiday season. And even Bing Crosby's White Christmas played every 15 minutes eventually becomes tiresome.
So true...... I love Christmas music and I love Bing, but I have to bring out my own stuff to hear what I want like LMH2.
Television, I like the PBS stations, and things like Mystery, Wild Kingdom, the TCM channel. I watch the news, but not all news. I dislike some news channels as they put their own "political" spin on things, instead of just reporting the news.

I forgot about PBS and I do watch the news, but not all day.
I guess my problem is I'd rather not live in a society where there's a mainstream audience for such trash as we have surrounding us now. It's like having a dead rat in the cellar -- even when you can't see it, you can tell it's there from the stink.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

Gene

Practically Family
I miss "King of the Hill." Now there was a funny show about a Texas family that was great commentary on not only super-conservatives but super-liberals. And nearly every show had a "feel-good" ending, much like the old sitcoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken