Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
stodden12-1024x616.jpg

Stage moms have always been around (just ask Ginger Rogers or Jean Harlow) but this one is going too far. The laws in California surrounding the legal marriage age dictate that minors, which includes anyone under 18, need parental consent and a court order to get married. If that fembot was 16 when she got married, she had her mother's help to get both. They must have had a really great lawyer, because those orders aren't common: They are usually given in special circumstances such as pregnancy.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've expressed my views on reality TV and what is has 'contributed' to society.

Last night I saw a new low in reality TV. It's called H8R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgkr9re1lBk

The premise is that some famous person comes on the show to confront an average citizen who hates them and tries to change their mind - that they're a good person, or at least okay. I've seen narcissism, but this is it in all its glory. It made me nauseous watching it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Today, for the first time in years, I ventured away from my usual stations on Sirius-XM (40s on 4 through 80s on 8, Classic Rock, Classic Vinyl, and a few others) and went clicking through just to see what was out there these days. It's about 9 or so in the morning, and I happen across something called "Spice Radio." The show that was on was called "Whore Talk" and the female on-air personality was having graphic phone sex with a caller. :eeek:

You know, I miss the days of listening to Gary Owens in the afternoon after school on KMPC-Los Angeles.

Cheers,
Tom

That just makes me ill to think about. There is no class anymore. Now, I'm not asking everyone to be as stodgy as I am, but I think that stuff like this is just way too far.

Today, for the first time in years, I ventured away from my usual stations on Sirius-XM (40s on 4 through 80s on 8, Classic Rock, Classic Vinyl, and a few others) and went clicking through just to see what was out there these days. It's about 9 or so in the morning, and I happen across something called "Spice Radio." The show that was on was called "Whore Talk" and the female on-air personality was having graphic phone sex with a caller. :eeek:

You know, I miss the days of listening to Gary Owens in the afternoon after school on KMPC-Los Angeles.

Cheers,
Tom

On radio stations, I miss the days of real local stations that played music that was requested locally. Now everything comes pre-packaged and played on a national level all day long. I have one local station that I listen to, AM920 WOKY from Milwaukee. A legendary station in the area. My parents grew up on it when it was top 40 hits in the 50's-70's. It's now on a Classic Country format with real local personalities as DJ's. It's refreshing compared to all the syndicated stuff on radio nowadays. Right now, they're playing Conway Twitty and you won't see this guy complaining lol

Pompidou

One Too Many
That just makes me ill to think about. There is no class anymore. Now, I'm not asking everyone to be as stodgy as I am, but I think that stuff like this is just way too far.

On radio stations, I miss the days of real local stations that played music that was requested locally. Now everything comes pre-packaged and played on a national level all day long. I have one local station that I listen to, AM920 WOKY from Milwaukee. A legendary station in the area. My parents grew up on it when it was top 40 hits in the 50's-70's. It's now on a Classic Country format with real local personalities as DJ's. It's refreshing compared to all the syndicated stuff on radio nowadays. Right now, they're playing Conway Twitty and you won't see this guy complaining lol

The way I see it, there aught to be a radio station for all types, from stodgy to horny to everything in between. The radio station I listen to focuses on rock and metal from the 80s to the present - anything loud enough, for the most part, to fit their motif.

I just don't want to see the young ones exposed to it. So, I hope it STAYS on Satellite and can be blocked if you have young'uns at home.

The way I see it, there aught to be a radio station for all types, from stodgy to horny to everything in between. The radio station I listen to focuses on rock and metal from the 80s to the present - anything loud enough, for the most part, to fit their motif.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
The cool thing about having a radio, a t.v., or watching a podcast is that you can change the station. That way if you wanna listen to stuff that is safe enough for your ears or was groundbreaking 70 years ago, you could find it somewhere.

Before anyone goes on the attack, I can appreciate all eras and styles of comedy. So long as it's not too hacky or boring.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

The sad thing is that local radio didn't die a natural death. It was executed, as a result of deregulation in the 1990s which allowed giant media corporations to own and control as many stations as they wanted. This is very different from the situation with the big networks in the Era, in which their relationship with local affiliates was strictly controlled by the FCC, and we see the result when we scan the dial. An oligarchy of the air, not a democracy.

Last edited:

rue

We have one oldies station here and although they advertise as 40s and 50s, they throw in a lot of hippie dippie 60s and 70s type stuff :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken