Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoohBang

Suspended
does the school you're talking about have dress codes?
Were they really acid wash jeans? Since they stopped selling those in 1995.
Were the t-shirts "School Spirt shirts?"
Was the principle wearing a tie?
Is this public school? Just want to get all the facts.

PoohBang

Suspended
Business casual was the norm for my teachers. The principals, if they were women, always wore shoulder enhanced power suits (this was the 80s and early 90s, you figure). The one guy principal stuck with business casual - no jacket. I suppose women still felt they had something to prove in the executive setting back then.

same here. He might have worn a suit, but it was always the jacket off so they can walk around the halls. Plus most schools had no air so that plays a factor.

does the school you're talking about have dress codes?
Were they really acid wash jeans? Since they stopped selling those in 1995.
Were the t-shirts "School Spirt shirts?"
Was the principle wearing a tie?
Is this public school? Just want to get all the facts.

For the children they do.
They were darned faded and messed up that is for sure---close enough.
No. They were just your average t-shirt.
The principal is a woman so no---nothing close either.
Yes it is the top public school in the city.

same here. He might have worn a suit, but it was always the jacket off so they can walk around the halls. Plus most schools had no air so that plays a factor.

You made it sound like your teachers looked like this:
Ian%20hippie.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Sounds like the standard for teachers in the US is more relaxed than it was when I was at state school (over this side of the Atlantic, a "public" school is actually the equivalent of the very most elite of your "private" schools; the term denotes simply that the "public" were allowed to go to them - if they could afford it - and the concept predates universal state education) in Northern Ireland from '79 to '93. Of course, we all wore uniform (collar and tie, and a blazer too) as pupils, and that is totally the norm across the UK and Ireland, so the whole atmosphere is somewhat more formal already than might be the case in a school where the kids have no uniform and may dress casually in jeans etc.

I was considering college for education. If I were in this field, I would likely wear a suit daily, or at least slacks and a collared shirt.

You'd never blend in with the norm like that - which is, of course, no reason not to dress exactly how you want. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nearest we came to that particular paradigm was Mr Francis, affectionately known as Mr Francis The Talking Mule. He wasn't a hippy as such, but he did cause raised eyebrows by wearing a flannel shirt with a tie. It just wasn't done.

He came to a sad end, too -- got caught shoplifting a carton of cigarettes from the Shop-n-Save over in the next town, and when that showed up in the Court News, he was out of a job.

All the male teachers I ever had wore ties, and the principal stalked the halls in a funereal black suit. Given that he had the physique and hairline of Mr. Weatherbee, this seemed like a perfect fit.

PoohBang

Suspended
high school is a different beast then elementary. I had teachers in ties but they had been teaching for 20+ years already...

And I never got acid washed jeans when they first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82