Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I like the idea that...'I have the perfect life setup for me'..therefore I won't allow any argument or debate about it in my presence. I am that sure of myself ..and if you disagree..you aren't..although I don't look down on those that differ. Even within the decline of things....life can be quite humorous...:pop2::D

Yes the, "I'm to cool for the room" mentality while playing it down like the person isn't. It's a parody of itself.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the 50s variety:
[video=youtube_share;H4iftGu2j_I]http://youtu.be/H4iftGu2j_I[/video]
My grandmother had one just like this.

I recently obtained an Ironrite version of this; today the Ironrite chair for it arrived. I haven't set it up and started using it yet, though. I need to clear some room in the basement near the washer and dryer for it. I'm looking forward to using it, as I never did like the hand iron very much.

Cheers,
Tom

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Mangletre nett.jpg

I've never thought about it before, but the word mangle must come from the Norse word "mangle tre" which you can see a photo of above. The mangletre was used for just the same thing as a mangle is :)

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, I attended a job talk the other day in my school. Said interviewee turned up for the job talk wearing torn jeans, a collar-less pull over shirt that buttoned only half way down, and boots. This was an interview for a tenured faculty position.

We're a semi-casual school (some of our faculty wear jeans on a daily basis while some are never seen out of a suit). Sometimes you can tell that the interviewee is wearing an inexpensive and/or used suit off the rack (not in the best shape or fit), but I've never seen an interviewee not make an effort to wear something clean and professional. Most students who are new on the market don't have a lot of money, and the faculty understand that. However, most interviewees scrape together/ borrow/ beg/ etc. to get something that is a suit.

Some of my full time graduate students attended the presentation and dressed better than the job interviewee. All our faculty interviewees' travel and accomodation costs are paid for by the school, so it is not like the interview itself drained his financial resources. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
So, I attended a job talk the other day in my school. Said interviewee turned up for the job talk wearing torn jeans, a collar-less pull over shirt that buttoned only half way down, and boots. This was an interview for a tenured faculty position.

We're a semi-casual school (some of our faculty wear jeans on a daily basis while some are never seen out of a suit). Sometimes you can tell that the interviewee is wearing an inexpensive and/or used suit off the rack (not in the best shape or fit), but I've never seen an interviewee not make an effort to wear something clean and professional. Most students who are new on the market don't have a lot of money, and the faculty understand that. However, most interviewees scrape together/ borrow/ beg/ etc. to get something that is a suit.

Some of my full time graduate students attended the presentation and dressed better than the job interviewee. All our faculty interviewees' travel and accomodation costs are paid for by the school, so it is not like the interview itself drained his financial resources. [huh]

Usually when I see someone who gets it that far 'off the mark', it's a deliberate pose. More common in some areas than others - I've sat through some presentations by really hardcore IT geeks, for example, where they give them on handwritten acetates because they consider themselves far too cool for Powerpoint. I'm sure there have always been equivalents of that in all eras.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ironically, my mother is very anti-ironing. She says to just hang your clothes in the closet and the wrinkles will work their way out. I disagree. I hate crumpled collars, lack of creases, and of course that feel that a good, starched collar has.

God bless you sir; a mind after my own heart!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Every interview I go on, I show up in a formal business suit. I went on one this morning, and I had to wear flat shoes because I twisted my ankle last night, and I felt so casual. I wouldn't dream of wearing that outfit for a job interview (I probably wouldn't wear it at all), but you should see some of the attire my fellow students would wear to interviews or job fairs.

When did this rule relax, and why? Don't you want to present yourself in the most polished and professional way possible? If you're that cavalier about the impression you make, what will you do with the job? I just don't understand.

Last edited:

You think that is bad? Last night I attended back to school night. As the teachers lined up in front of the room, it became clear that I was not going to see a tie or suit among the bunch of them. It was depressing. The school counselor was the worst! He was wearing a shirt that looked like he slept in it and of course it was not tucked in or ironed. Geez, the parents were dressed better than the teachers. To her credit, my son's teacher was wearing a business suit but she was the oddball among the group. Must have been because she is a first year teacher at this school. The come as you are mentality hasn't sunk in yet.:eusa_doh::rolleyes:
When I was in school, every teacher wore a tie or something that looked decent. We had the occasional hippie who didn't wear a tie or jacket but it was the exception and not the rule. They all dressed for back to school night though.

Heck, even when I went to my interview at K-Mart when I was 16 years old, I wore a dress shirt, slacks, and Thom McAns!

Every interview I go on, I show up in a formal business suit. I went on one this morning, and I had to wear flat shoes because I twisted my ankle last night, and I felt so casual. I wouldn't dream of wearing that outfit for a job interview (I probably wouldn't wear it at all), but you should see some of the attire my fellow students would wear to interviews or job fairs.

When did this rule relax, and why? Don't you want to present yourself in the most polished and professional way possible? If you're that cavalier about the impression you make, what will you do with the job? I just don't understand.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

I don't expect kids I interview for popcorn-selling jobs to come in suits, but I do expect them to be *clean.* You'd be appalled at how many don't even bother to wash their hands before interviewing -- that's the first thing I look for, and if I see dirty fingernails, bam, we don't even need to go any further. You're interviewing for a job handling food, and you show up with dirty hands? The street for you.

I think a lot of kids today have a never-wanna-be-too-school-for-cool attitude, and it shows in cases like that. Making any effort to please The Man at all is viewed as selling out.

Mangletre nett.jpg

I've never thought about it before, but the word mangle must come from the Norse word "mangle tre" which you can see a photo of above. The mangletre was used for just the same thing as a mangle is :)

Randolph Sutton -- Put Your Worries Through The Mangle

[video=youtube;gkeBgUwVos0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkeBgUwVos0[/video]

Edward

Bartender
You think that is bad? Last night I attended back to school night. As the teachers lined up in front of the room, it became clear that I was not going to see a tie or suit among the bunch of them. It was depressing. The school counselor was the worst! He was wearing a shirt that looked like he slept in it and of course it was not tucked in or ironed. Geez, the parents were dressed better than the teachers. To her credit, my son's teacher was wearing a business suit but she was the oddball among the group. Must have been because she is a first year teacher at this school. The come as you are mentality hasn't sunk in yet.:eusa_doh::rolleyes:
When I was in school, every teacher wore a tie or something that looked decent. We had the occasional hippie who didn't wear a tie or jacket but it was the exception and not the rule. They all dressed for back to school night though.

What is a "back to school night" - is that what we would call a parent's evening, where parents can go in to be told about their kids' progress?

I recently obtained an Ironrite version of this; today the Ironrite chair for it arrived. I haven't set it up and started using it yet, though. I need to clear some room in the basement near the washer and dryer for it. I'm looking forward to using it, as I never did like the hand iron very much.

Cheers,
Tom

Be careful with those things. They don't call them manglers for nothing. You can burn the heck out of your hands if you get careless or distracted.:eeek:

PoohBang

Suspended
I've never, ever had a teacher wear a suit a tie in elementary school. Only the principle would do something like that. The most you'll get out of an elementary teacher is khaki's and a button up shirt. At least in public school. You make it sound like they're wearing motley crue shirts and acid wash jeans...

I've never, ever had a teacher wear a suit a tie in elementary school. Only the principle would do something like that. The most you'll get out of an elementary teacher is khaki's and a button up shirt. At least in public school. You make it sound like they're wearing motley crue shirts and acid wash jeans...

The Counselor was wearing acid wash jeans! I saw a few t-shirts as well.:rolleyes:
The prinicpal wasn't wearing a suit either. :rolleyes:
Geez, standards sure have fallen if that is the state of schools today. :eusa_doh: Then they have the nerve to institute dress codes at some schools---lead by example!:mad:

I was considering college for education. If I were in this field, I would likely wear a suit daily, or at least slacks and a collared shirt.

The Counselor was wearing acid wash jeans! I saw a few t-shirts as well.:rolleyes:
The prinicpal wasn't wearing a suit either. :rolleyes:
Geez, standards sure have fallen if that is the state of schools today. :eusa_doh: Then they have the nerve to institute dress codes at some schools---lead by example!:mad:

Pompidou

One Too Many

Business casual was the norm for my teachers. The principals, if they were women, always wore shoulder enhanced power suits (this was the 80s and early 90s, you figure). The one guy principal stuck with business casual - no jacket. I suppose women still felt they had something to prove in the executive setting back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82