Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

3fingers

One Too Many
Great. Drive up on my lawn and throw the package on my porch. Why am I not surprised?!
Our water meter reader has been using a golf cart to travel around the village this year. A good deal since the former mode of transportation was a 3/4 ton pickup. However he has taken to driving through the yards to read the display on the side of the house rather than walking up from the drive to do it. He takes the same route so he is wearing a path. I and several others have asked that he stop this, but he doesn't seem to care. So, it's off to the village board meeting to apply a little reinforcement to the request.

I was just about to say "if he did that at my house he'd be in my front yard, but this delivery driver IS in the front yard.
I don't often purchase fragile items, but on occasion I purchase shaving supplies such as aftershave from D.R. Harris of London, or
Royall Lyme of Bermuda, via whatever the cheapest shop on Amazon has it for. :D
If my online purchases turned out that way, I do have a whole box of roofing tacks in case they tried it again...

I have a baseball bat and my regular USPS guy knows it. lol lol

Our water meter reader has been using a golf cart to travel around the village this year. A good deal since the former mode of transportation was a 3/4 ton pickup. However he has taken to driving through the yards to read the display on the side of the house rather than walking up from the drive to do it. He takes the same route so he is wearing a path. I and several others have asked that he stop this, but he doesn't seem to care. So, it's off to the village board meeting to apply a little reinforcement to the request.

I would fix that in ten minutes. Lay down a bunch of carpet tack strips in the path and see how he likes it. lol lol I also use this to keep raccoons off my car port and trellis work. It works the first time they try to walk it. :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Ahhh, civil servants. Years ago our fair government re-assessed every home in the county. The 1950's ranch style home we lived in had a porch that extended to the garage, and a sidewalk from the driveway to the front door. Our ESTEEMED assessor didn't walk down the side walk, or hop up on the porch, he walked through the mud flower garden between the two. No flowers were harmed because it was February and about 0 degrees F, but really walk through the mud on purpose when there's a sidewalk and a porch less than three feet away.

Later

Hi

Ahhh, civil servants. Years ago our fair government re-assessed every home in the county. The 1950's ranch style home we lived in had a porch that extended to the garage, and a sidewalk from the driveway to the front door. Our ESTEEMED assessor didn't walk down the side walk, or hop up on the porch, he walked through the mud flower garden between the two. No flowers were harmed because it was February and about 0 degrees F, but really walk through the mud on purpose when there's a sidewalk and a porch less than three feet away.

Later

Electric fences take care of a lot of things. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Electric fences take care of a lot of things. :p
Tell me about it! As a teenager, on a camping exercise. (I was in the ATC, it's a sort of RAF for young boys.) With a couple of cohorts we sneaked of to the nearby village pub. A couple of underage, clandestine pints later, we rather stupidly thought that the best way to avoid being caught, would be to circumvent the camp and creep back via the farmer's field. All went well, until we bumped into some sort of, what alcohol induced boys thought, was a raised trip wire. We can get past that easy enough, just grab it and go underneath. Good grief! The shock made all my fillings light up. And one of my friends actually wet himself, involuntarily. Well that's the story he tells now. Couldn't hold his beer then, still has problems holding it today.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a good friend who's a postal worker, and she's one of the most dedicated, hardest-working, honest people I know -- and she works a schedule that would crush a nine-to-fiver into jelly. I've got no complaints with postal workers. Our UPS man is a pretty good egg as well -- if I'm not at work to receive a package he'll call me at home to tell me he's got it. Or he'll see me on the street and flag me down to tell me that he's got something on the truck for us.

The ones with whom I have a bone to pick are the city snowplow drivers, who fill you back in immediately after you finish shoveling the driveway. They did this to my mother once too often, and after shoveling out again, she pulled her car into the middle of the street, parked it there, and sat on the hood waiting for the plow to come by again. When it did, she stood on top of her car and let fly a magnificent, continuous blast of old-fashioned profanity that terrified the plow man into calling the cops on her. (The cop, when he showed up, was scared too.)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The ones with whom I have a bone to pick are the city snowplow drivers
You mother.. brave woman! :thumb:
Now.. I, too have a hate-hate relationship with the Plow Truck. They hated me when I was a child (oh, sweet hours we spent on making their lives miserable) - now they are taking their revenge by carefully planning the cleaning route, so that they pass my house just as I finish up, and make a lovely pile right on our driveway. :doh:

a bureaucrat could turn two plus two into a 5-10 page document.
Yes, we could. :nod:
..some days - we need to. :p

Tell me about it! As a teenager, on a camping exercise. (I was in the ATC, it's a sort of RAF for young boys.) With a couple of cohorts we sneaked of to the nearby village pub. A couple of underage, clandestine pints later, we rather stupidly thought that the best way to avoid being caught, would be to circumvent the camp and creep back via the farmer's field. All went well, until we bumped into some sort of, what alcohol induced boys thought, was a raised trip wire. We can get past that easy enough, just grab it and go underneath. Good grief! The shock made all my fillings light up. And one of my friends actually wet himself, involuntarily. Well that's the story he tells now. Couldn't hold his beer then, still has problems holding it today.

:rofl: Yep, the electric fence---making friends for over fifty years. :p

The ones with whom I have a bone to pick are the city snowplow drivers, who fill you back in immediately after you finish shoveling the driveway.

Definitely a man who enjoyed his work. I use the past tense because the snowplough driver, Mark "Dogg" Hussey of Lowell, MA, was subsequently fired after posting this video. In interviews with the media Mr. Hussey claimed he was only doing his job. However, residents complained that Hussey had been up and down their street three or four times with his snowplow.

Warning: strong language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1LgsukDluM

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi

Later

That was our former post lady- eight feet around was a path. She cut through our garden everyday, stepping on my flowers. So I put up a trellis. Blocked or so I thought.

One day she tried to climb over it and got stung by a bunch of hornets that were living in my garden. We got a notice to remove them (the hornets), and the expression on her manager's face when I brought in a picture of where they were was priceless. Got an apology letter the next week.

That was our former post lady- eight feet around was a path. She cut through our garden everyday, stepping on my flowers. So I put up a trellis. Blocked or so I thought.

One day she tried to climb over it and got stung by a bunch of hornets that were living in my garden. We got a notice to remove them (the hornets), and the expression on her manager's face when I brought in a picture of where they were was priceless. Got an apology letter the next week.

:rofl: Good!

3fingers

One Too Many
Hi!
:wave:
Civil servant here. :D
The "Ahhh" from our population is what comes with our job, sir. :p
I am a civil servant as well. I work in another community a few miles from where I live. We have pretty clear rules on how we behave. For example, we are not allowed to turn around in a private driveway, even in a pickup truck, it just is not done. We go around the block if we have to. We also don't stomp around on private property. We use the sidewalks or if we have to walk in the yard for some reason, we are to be careful of where we walk. I can't imagine the uproar if one of our guys pulled some of the stunts from this thread. The snowplow thing is a problem everywhere. To some extent it can't be avoided, but it can be minimized if there is some space between the driveways and you put some effort into it. Some people are operators and some are just drivers. Of course, some are also just horses behinds.

I am a civil servant as well. I work in another community a few miles from where I live. We have pretty clear rules on how we behave. For example, we are not allowed to turn around in a private driveway, even in a pickup truck, it just is not done. We go around the block if we have to. We also don't stomp around on private property. We use the sidewalks or if we have to walk in the yard for some reason, we are to be careful of where we walk. I can't imagine the uproar if one of our guys pulled some of the stunts from this thread. The snowplow thing is a problem everywhere. To some extent it can't be avoided, but it can be minimized if there is some space between the driveways and you put some effort into it. Some people are operators and some are just drivers. Of course, some are also just horses behinds.

I have never had a problem with a snow plow driver here. Not even once. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I work with gov't employees, and for the most part the majority of them are NOT what you see in that video.
They are dedicated, and concerned about the public's view of them.
That being said, there are a few "rogues" out there that just have to act up.
It's something in their coffee I guess. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe