Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
On the subject of adult children living at home, remember that the end result (living at home) can come from a number of different sources. Sure, are some adult children leeches? Yeah. But some are actually taking care of their parents, either financially or physically.

I come from a culture where multi-generational families are valued. It is expected that families live close to each other (if not on the same property or in the same home), care for each other, and that multiple generations under the same roof is actually desirable. I was raised that it is better for a family member to sit the kids or care for the elders who need it, over a stranger or institution, if at all possible.

If I had the opportunity or means to move into my parents home to care for them for a short period of time later in their lives, I would prefer to do that rather than having them move in with me and go through the stress of giving up their home, lifestyle, and friends/community on top of their illness.

Wow everyone, I am an adult and I still live at home....my own! haha!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think in the spirit of discussing poverty, when a place is in poverty, how can anyone say one place is lesser than another? There are so many valid points being displayed, and you know for me to really do something to help others that have less, is a way to make our voices heard and to share the goodness of our hearts as well. So with that, I say hello to everyone that has posted so far, and lets all realize how really blessed we are to be O.K. today and have the wonderful parts of life we do!

My family is big on the family unit. My parents and I are close, I get along well with my brother, and my sister and I are best friends. Our plan is to eventually purchase a parcel of land, good sized, and everyone will build their homes on the property. Everyone has their own space/freedom, but we're all right there.

The backup plan is that one day when my parents get old and need help, they will move in with me. My Great-Grandpa lived with my Grandparents from 1951 until he passed in 1996. My Grandparents would always be welcome with my parents, and I felt it was only right to offer up the same to my parents.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My family is big on the family unit. My parents and I are close, I get along well with my brother, and my sister and I are best friends. Our plan is to eventually purchase a parcel of land, good sized, and everyone will build their homes on the property. Everyone has their own space/freedom, but we're all right there.

The backup plan is that one day when my parents get old and need help, they will move in with me. My Great-Grandpa lived with my Grandparents from 1951 until he passed in 1996. My Grandparents would always be welcome with my parents, and I felt it was only right to offer up the same to my parents.
That is what family is for, to watch out for each other in life!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I envy that type of environment. Where I live there are no parcels of land big enough to be affordable.

I can imagine that they would be very expensive there!!! My parents bought a 60 acre parcel 5 years ago or so and have decided that it's not their ideal location and we're looking for another one. There's one I like, 210 acres, for sale, but it's a bit swampy. I don't really care where it is, so long as we can keep the family together. It seems like very few people give a darn about the family unit anymore.

I envy that type of environment. Where I live there are no parcels of land big enough to be affordable.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can imagine that they would be very expensive there!!! My parents bought a 60 acre parcel 5 years ago or so and have decided that it's not their ideal location and we're looking for another one. There's one I like, 210 acres, for sale, but it's a bit swampy. I don't really care where it is, so long as we can keep the family together. It seems like very few people give a darn about the family unit anymore.

If I wanted to have the family all living together, well, I would have to build a home on Forest Lawn Cemetery, because not everyone in the family is still able to order pizza any more...and are already housed below ground level.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Speaking of the dead...the topic of Funeral Homes....what a business, everyone is just "dying" to be their customer. But did you know how much some Funeral Homes can rip you off?

My Older Brother's Father in Law just kicked the bucket. The Funeral Home had already talked them into a pre paid deal, a "death package" if you will, and the person running the show flat out LIED to my Brother to get him to "sign up"! As they knew the Father in Law was gonna die soon. Some lies they told him that if you do not pay up front, you cannot make the same plans, the State Law requires you to have a plan set up in advance, and that if you are going to have an Urn rather than a Casket, the Law requires you to have one that is "approved". Oh there were other lies as well, but in the long run, it is all a marketing issue, the Funeral Home wants to up sell what they have to you as a customer for as much as they can "bleed" you for. So you can buy an Urn that may have a price tag on it, accordingly to what they know you can pay. They will sell the same Urn from any price to what they know you have the money to pay them for it. The same is true about Caskets. Most Funeral homes are gonna buy things at such a discount, they are gonna make a mint from you.

My Brother called recently and said, he needed another Urn and had to spend $150.00 for it. My advice was, use a friggin coffee can! Or, to go to the Dollar Store and find a container. But he had already got the extra Urn for the price he paid. Rip off.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On the topic of funeral homes, I suggest that everyone here check out their local laws, which in the US I believe in determined by the state you live in. I had a coworker who was told that her uncle's ashes could not be placed into the vessel he made before he died. They refused to release his ashes until they bought an urn for hundreds of dollars. (The uncle was a woodworker and he and his wife made their cremation "urns/ boxes" before their deaths. They just ended up getting rid of the purchased urn.) It is illegal to require someone buy a container for ashes in my state, you need to use whatever container is produced by the family as long as it holds the ashes.

A real decline in standards. I wake up today and find the Sheriff here. He tells me that a fourteen year old kid attempted to break into my house and my cars last night. Fortunately, the bank across the alley saw. I was awake and sitting just up from the door. I can see the door from here and have no clue how I missed it.

I have him on Camera, as does the bank, and they caught him breaking into an ATM machine.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
A real decline in standards. I wake up today and find the Sheriff here. He tells me that a fourteen year old kid attempted to break into my house and my cars last night. Fortunately, the bank across the alley saw. I was awake and sitting just up from the door. I can see the door from here and have no clue how I missed it.

I have him on Camera, as does the bank, and they caught him breaking into an ATM machine.

Solid proof that Lindsey Lohan will do anything to be caught on tape!

Pompidou

One Too Many
I wonder if you will have to go to court regarding the theft issues?

I think he only has to appear if he presses charges. The prosecution will have to prove each theft individually, and the judge won't allow the prosecutor to ask Tom if he saw the defendant stealing in his case to prove he might have stolen in another case. I think Tom's fate is in his own hands. If he presses charges, he'll probably be a witness in a trial of at least two thefts - probably more. If not, I can't see him being much use to the prosecutors, and certainly no help to the defense.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think he only has to appear if he presses charges. The prosecution will have to prove each theft individually, and the judge won't allow the prosecutor to ask Tom if he saw the defendant stealing in his case to prove he might have stolen in another case. I think Tom's fate is in his own hands. If he presses charges, he'll probably be a witness in a trial of at least two thefts - probably more. If not, I can't see him being much use to the prosecutors, and certainly no help to the defense.
Yes you are probably right. I myself dislike courts and such, too sad for me!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Yes you are probably right. I myself dislike courts and such, too sad for me!

Fortunately, my only dealing with the criminal justice system was as a juror. My only regret was that it was a civil case and the two parties settled out of court. I would've liked to have the entire experience. As it stands, I only got to listen for three days and take notes.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Fortunately, my only dealing with the criminal justice system was as a juror. My only regret was that it was a civil case and the two parties settled out of court. I would've liked to have the entire experience. As it stands, I only got to listen for three days and take notes.
Well to me, although courts are what I call, a necessary evil, I totally do not like them at all.

I say that having my Juris Doctor in Law. I decided years ago that the "system" was for the most part, shameful at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael