Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier in the year there were a number of discussions that got, well, heated. There is a type of glee for some that comes into a discussion, pops the pin on the hand grenade and tosses it in.

To come in with an opposing opinion is one thing, some make a point of trying to exasperate others.
(Look for condescending remarks.) There was a crew that made a game of getting threads shut down, in retrospect, best thing to do is not to reply in haste or not to reply at all.

Touché!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I used to love that show when I was a kid! I even had a Lancelot Link lunch box! lol
I am not sure why, I have no recall of this show? Maybe it was just something not happening in my family or whatever the case may be, I have no recall of the show or any products attached to it.

Lunch boxes? Howdy Doody seemed to be around, then some had Lassie, mine, I think was connected to Daniel Boone in theme (only until I chucked it for being teased about having a lunch box to begin with) then I moved up to large paper bags!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Earlier in the year there were a number of discussions that got, well, heated. There is a type of glee for some that comes into a discussion, pops the pin on the hand grenade and tosses it in.

To come in with an opposing opinion is one thing, some make a point of trying to exasperate others.
(Look for condescending remarks.) There was a crew that made a game of getting threads shut down, in retrospect, best thing to do is not to reply in haste or not to reply at all.
I see, (said the blind man). A good idea, to say the least. I do have a hard time however, seeing anyone driving a car through the crowd. Uncalled for, at the very least!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think it's a sign of declining standards that the mid-sixties are considered by anyone to be "The Golden Age of Television." Paddy Chayefsky and Rod Serling would hang their heads in shame.

Lizzie...'ya gotta understand...where I grew up in coastal North Carolina, there wasn't any television until the early 'sixties. Heck, until cable came to town in the 'eighties, we only got two channels! I never saw any CBS programs until I was in college...in the big city of Chapel Hill...and programs like Andy Griffith and Gun Smoke were in syndication. Sad but true. :(

AF

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Lizzie...'ya gotta understand...where I grew up in coastal North Carolina, there wasn't any television until the early 'sixties. Heck, until cable came to town in the 'eighties, we only got two channels! I never saw any CBS programs until I was in college...in the big city of Chapel Hill...and programs like Andy Griffith and Gun Smoke were in syndication. Sad but true. :(

AF
Matt Dillion was o.k., but Barney Fife...rocked!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I thought Lance Link was hilarious, although I'm not sure why, looking back at it now. Some of the chimps looked like they were chewing gum. It made their mouths move for the talking parts. I guess that was novel and state of the art back then. Or maybe it was just plain ol' fun.

And as that misnomer-ed "Golden Age" slouched toward the '70s, it churned out a bottom-of-the-(monkey) barrel show: LANCELOT LINK: SECRET CHIMP.

Think Matt Helm -- but with dressed, made-up, and bewigged real live chimpanzees. Inexplicably, the mess was penned by the head writers of The Carol Burnett Show, would really should've known better.

Hey, hey leave Matt Helm alone. :p

Don Knott's got his start on the Steve Allen Show along with Pat Harrington (One Day at a Time) and Tom Poston (Newhart and Mork & Mindy).

[video=youtube;66FlgSvAZ88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FlgSvAZ88&NR=1[/video]

Last edited:

rue

Gee.... that's sounds familiar.... I think it was in the temp thread and oh yeah it happened today.....
Yes, it's best not to say a word, but I just did. Oops.

I think a major decline in standards is that adults today conduct themselves like children.

Last edited:

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I think a major decline in standards is that adults today conduct themselves like children.

I think that part of this decline is due to the fact that so many "children" never move out of their parents' house, choosing instead to sponge off poor ol' (but enabling) ma and pa--and doing so well into their thirties. Adulthood never begins for these people.

Edward

Bartender
I can observe so much truth to what you say, but it may be some of the programming that you are afforded is not the same where I reside. In fact I am sure of that.

The cable service in my area, just has nothing that catches my eye. About the only shows I do watch other than the news, pertain to building projects.

Possibly, yes. I consider myself very lucky to have access to BBC content as I do, plus other channels. The UK consistently produces great documentaries and news programming, IMO due in no small part to the ban on editorialising the broadcast news here. Moving from the basic five channels to over forty free-to-air digital channels (I don't watch anything enough for it to be worth paying for a subscription service) made a big difference, as with some shows repeated several times and the sheer range of content, I can generally find something worth watching at the time I choose to watch television. Increasingly, the handful of shows I wouldn't miss I watch via one of the free access online streaming services like the BBC iPlayer.

You can filter the water out of a sluice basin to make it drinkable -- but why waste your time? Turn the TV off and read a book. Play with your cat. Listen to some good music. Or patronize your local independent movie theatre.

There is that too. A few years ago I made a positive decision to only switch on the television when I wanted to watch something specific, as opposed to using it as a default entertainment media living alone. That revolutionised my viewing habits and I enjoy what I do watch far more now. This place is a different beast altogether, but I'm constantly amazed by how many people I know in the real world complain about the amount of rubbish on TV, yet continue to watch it all. Perhaps their televisions are a lower spec, but I understand some of the fancy ones have an off switch. [huh] Course, equally grating are the trendy middle class folks who not only choose not to have a TV (which is fair enough in and of itself), but feel the need to make such a show of not having one, as if that alone makes them more enlightened, better people. I think it's great when people realise that owning and watching a TV is a choice, not an obligation, but how they exercise that choice is of no real interest to me.

I think that part of this decline is due to the fact that so many "children" never move out of their parents' house, choosing instead to sponge off poor ol' (but enabling) ma and pa--and doing so well into their thirties. Adulthood never begins for these people.

Some of those do exist. Unfortunately, most of the people I have known in that position are hard-working, mature individuals who simply cannot afford to buy or rent at market value their own place.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Possibly, yes. I consider myself very lucky to have access to BBC content as I do, plus other channels. The UK consistently produces great documentaries and news programming, IMO due in no small part to the ban on editorialising the broadcast news here. Moving from the basic five channels to over forty free-to-air digital channels (I don't watch anything enough for it to be worth paying for a subscription service) made a big difference, as with some shows repeated several times and the sheer range of content, I can generally find something worth watching at the time I choose to watch television. Increasingly, the handful of shows I wouldn't miss I watch via one of the free access online streaming services like the BBC iPlayer.

I absolutely loved the BBC's Coast series, which I saw while in London. To my knowledge, the program has not aired in the US on PBS or on (the dumbed-down) BBC America, nor is it available on Region 1 DVD.

Some of those do exist. Unfortunately, most of the people I have known in that position are hard-working, mature individuals who simply cannot afford to buy or rent at market value their own place.

That excuse holds water in the last few years, but it's been going on for decades.

Edward

Bartender
That excuse holds water in the last few years, but it's been going on for decades.

I suppose it depends where you are. I know of my contemporaries (and close contemporaries, by a decade either way) in London, I'm one of very few who are fortunate enough to have been able to afford to buy my own place. A lot of them are really struggling on rent (typical market rent is double the mortgage for the same property, on average), and a lot of them ended up moving back in with their folks. It's been like that in the city for a long time, though depending where you are, much cheaper housing stock might be available. Course, I've known plenty of folks who never moved out by choice - which is fair enough, provided they contribute, IMO. [huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael