Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not even worth a reply to. That interpretation is not even close to what I said or intended.

Perhaps it's not what you intended, but when paired up with the line above it that read That's saying people are just too stupid (and maybe they are) but it's not my government's job to tell people to not... and the ending sentence of Here's where Darwin kicks in... it sounded to me like you were saying that it wasn't your government's job to have laws against the rest, either, because people should know better and if they don't let Darwinism take care of it rather than enact laws against them. If you meant that your own sense of self-preservation kicks in and not the more general sense that we should let Darwinism deal with those issues and I misread it I apologize.

This is, of course, where that slipperly slope thing kicks in. If we enact laws against things like drug abuse, drunk driving, and public smoking, then why not enact laws mandating healthy meals at fast-food restaurants? Or why not take the subsidies that are going to corn farmers and pay them to vegetable farmers to bring down the costs of fresh vegetables? (Ignoring for the moment that a lot of our produce comes from overseas.) I wonder how much a can of soda would cost if there weren't corn subsidies and they still used HFCS? Where does the line get drawn when it comes to protecting us against ourselves or unhealthy substances? Who decides where that line will be? Aren't these the real questions?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Perhaps it's not what you intended, but when paired up with the line above it that read That's saying people are just too stupid (and maybe they are) but it's not my government's job to tell people to not... and the ending sentence of Here's where Darwin kicks in... it sounded to me like you were saying that it wasn't your government's job to have laws against the rest, either, because people should know better and if they don't let Darwinism take care of it rather than enact laws against them. If you meant that your own sense of self-preservation kicks in and not the more general sense that we should let Darwinism deal with those issues and I misread it I apologize.

This is, of course, where that slipperly slope thing kicks in. If we enact laws against things like drug abuse, drunk driving, and public smoking, then why not enact laws mandating healthy meals at fast-food restaurants? Or why not take the subsidies that are going to corn farmers and pay them to vegetable farmers to bring down the costs of fresh vegetables? (Ignoring for the moment that a lot of our produce comes from overseas.) I wonder how much a can of soda would cost if there weren't corn subsidies and they still used HFCS? Where does the line get drawn when it comes to protecting us against ourselves or unhealthy substances? Who decides where that line will be? Aren't these the real questions?
Very so right on, and it takes a bit of study in all honesty to make the real determination as to where we socially should draw a line about each of this issues you just raised. By the way, I know look at things deeply and am glad you posted this as it is really some of the core of a problem we all face even if we don't want to admit it. What rules should be and who should make them and enforce them.

Myself I am not happy about all the laws that exist, but for the most part, I am very glad we do have them. Man kind in general has a tendency to make a mess of things and abuse things and I know as much as it bothers some socially, we need those rules to be there to keep all of us safe.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
lol right. nobody's ever said any thing mean and personal here....

You think that by using cute indirect techniques, nobody will be able to accuse you of anything, don't you?

In my world, a spade is a spade. Piping up to applaud a person who proved someone else wrong, however adorably and discreetly you put it, is rude and uncalled for. Of course, if you can make it look like she was irrationally taking it personally, you can stand back with your hands in the air - "Who, me?" - and laugh about it. It's the classic trick of the pot stirrer.

I would hope not...and if so, I would elect that no one allows it to get to them. We are all in desire to have things be better along the road in life, a main and common theme, for sure.

Thank-you for being unfailingly diplomatic. I'm sure many of us appreciate it.

My apologies for the outburst. I'll be back when I'm calm.

rue

What people need to stop doing is letting themselves be led around by the nose not just by marketing but also by diet fads -- too many people today see an article in a supermarket tabloid about "Such-and-such Makes You Fat!" or "So-and-So Is Good For Your Heart," and they immediately restructure their whole diet around that advice. Never mind that next week's issue might just tell them to do exactly the opposite. Fat's Good. Fat's Bad. No, Fat's Good. Unless it's Bad.

Bah.

Eat what makes you feel healthy. Don't eat what makes you feel sick. And don't take health advice from tabloids.

Bingo :D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
LizzieMaine points to one factor about so much that we all have to face, that being the marketing of what I call, "crap". The Tabloids will sell it to us if we let them, and you know, you can pick one up and see that Elvis is alive and having a same-sex relationship with Micheal Jackson as they are really hiding out together after having a face lift...in Rio!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yeah, that's going to work. If it did then there would be no Tobacco industry. Someone once said that you could sell cigarettes in coffin shaped packs with the brand name Death on them and it still wouldn't deter the smoker. :p

Someone did exactly that.

DeathLights-20fFI199.jpg

If you meant that your own sense of self-preservation kicks in and not the more general sense that we should let Darwinism deal with those issues and I misread it I apologize.

Yes, what I meant, and we're good!
Problem with those laws? Guess who obeys them? Yup, us. Not the a-holes that do it, those like us that don't need the laws to begin with. So, while there may be some people that aren't crak heads because it's illegal, and some don't drive drink, most do in spite of the laws and we once again lose rights/privileges because of said dolts.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You think that by using cute indirect techniques, nobody will be able to accuse you of anything, don't you?

In my world, a spade is a spade. Piping up to applaud a person who proved someone else wrong, however adorably and discreetly you put it, is rude and uncalled for. Of course, if you can make it look like she was irrationally taking it personally, you can stand back with your hands in the air - "Who, me?" - and laugh about it. It's the classic trick of the pot stirrer.

Thank-you for being unfailingly diplomatic. I'm sure many of us appreciate it.

My apologies for the outburst. I'll be back when I'm calm.
I have to be diplomatic, as you see, at one time I posted something about the "new stetsons" well the hopeful new Stratoliners and it was totally taken out of context and I am sure it created some negative feelings and now I really try to think that not everyone will understand what anyone else may say...so I keep my mind open and my smile five miles wide.

rue

All I do is try to eat what would have been available when our grandparents were around. I don't eat very many (in fact hardly any) processed foods and I try make everything from scratch, including my own bread and it IS cheaper to cook and eat this way, unless of course you're buying ramen. But if you're that poor.... none of this matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter