Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fall of proper restaurant service.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, $ally, thanks for that list. It's nice to have that as a refresher. I know that my family regularly broke about 3 of these (no, I won't say which ones) when I was growing up, and I bet every family has a few they break -- so it's good to have the list to make us remember.

$ally

One Too Many
Doran said:
Hey, $ally, thanks for that list. It's nice to have that as a refresher. I know that my family regularly broke about 3 of these (no, I won't say which ones) when I was growing up, and I bet every family has a few they break -- so it's good to have the list to make us remember.
Beaucaillou's comment inspired my list making. So often the workers are more refined, elegant and gracious than those being served. It must be so frustrating.
I'm guilty of checking the time too often when I'm bored. That's the one I struggle with most. My list is a bit tongue-in-cheek, a bit serious. I forgot:
-No slurping, gulping or playing with your food.
-No children crawling under the table or wandering around to other diners.
-Children must at least try everything on their plate. Some families insist kids clean their plate, but I slack on that one. It could lead to obesity, after all. Especially with the servings my Grandmother gave out. It's a miracle family was so slender.
-Children only speak when spoken to.
We broke that last one at every meal. How can a child excuse herself to use the restroom if she has to be spoken to first? Daddy, why do I need to wash my hands before I eat when I am using utensils? Will the germs slide down my fork? I followed in parents foot steps and answered all my sons interesting questions. He ended up getting the National Merit Scholarship, so I highly recommend this method. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Or is that, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions?
I once witnessed a man blow his nose into his cloth napkin, put it back into his lap, then continue eating. Also, once I was part of a big party who had reserved a large table at an upscale Japanese restaurant. One of our party had recently had surgery and could only eat small amounts of solid foods at a time. Well, he got carried away and was sick on his plate at the table. The wait staff rushed over and took his plate away. He continued eating, as did the rest of our table (aside from me). He was sick again. Still didn't excuse himself. I was appalled. The other diners left the restaurant. I wanted to leave too, but my husband-at-the-time insisted we stay. The owner came out to make sure it wasn't the food. It was implied that the guest was not well enough to dine. He still stayed. Our table all went on like it was everyone else's problem. I excused myself to go outside many times, couldn't touch a bite of dinner. Had it been me, I would have explained that I wasn't yet up for dining out, BEFORE I got to the point of being sick. I certainly wouldn't have continued after that.

Dr Doran

$ally said:
I'm guilty of checking the time too often when I'm bored.

Whoah! No offense, but that is ... really ... kind of ____.
Unless you are TRYING to be rude, which is different. And necessary on certain occasions.

$ally said:
I once witnessed a man blow his nose into his cloth napkin, put it back into his lap, then continue eating. Also, once I was part of a big party who had reserved a large table at an upscale Japanese restaurant. One of our party had recently had surgery and could only eat small amounts of solid foods at a time. Well, he got carried away and was sick on his plate at the table. The wait staff rushed over and took his plate away. He continued eating, as did the rest of our table (aside from me). He was sick again. Still didn't excuse himself. I was appalled. The other diners left the restaurant. I wanted to leave too, but my husband-at-the-time insisted we stay. The owner came out to make sure it wasn't the food. It was implied that the guest was not well enough to dine. He still stayed. Our table all went on like it was everyone else's problem. I excused myself to go outside many times, couldn't touch a bite of dinner. Had it been me, I would have explained that I wasn't yet up for dining out, BEFORE I got to the point of being sick. I certainly wouldn't have continued after that.

What a disgusting experience. I think I would have taken him to the bathroom and drowned him there. JUST KIDDING. But that is really horrible.

Foofoogal

Banned
EEWWW........That is beyond horrible.

Made me laugh though as it made me remember Bush Sr. when he lost it on the Prime Minister of Japan.
I am sorry but that had to be funny to anyone. lol

Dr Doran

Foofoogal said:
EEWWW........That is beyond horrible.

Made me laugh though as it made me remember Bush Sr. when he lost it on the Prime Minister of Japan.
I am sorry but that had to be funny to anyone. lol

I laughed.

green papaya

One Too Many
bad table manners

I was at the China buffet a while back and a young couple was dining next to me, and they started throwing food back at each other and gigiling :mad:

throwing french fries, throwing salad, etc

I couldnt believe how two grown people could behave so stupid in a public restaurant, they were annoying :mad:

$ally

One Too Many
Doran said:
Whoah! No offense, but that is ... really ... kind of ____.
Unless you are TRYING to be rude, which is different. And necessary on certain occasions.
Not trying, just comes naturally. I'm a clock watcher. It keeps me out of the right circles.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Ya'll ain't seen bad...

Just finished a WONDERFUL meal with service straight from HELL here in hot, hot, hot Sevastopol, Ukraine (we're talking temperature here, boys and girls, and NOT the night life...)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
We were JUST trying to bother you...

green papaya said:
I was at the China buffet a while back and a young couple was dining next to me, and they started throwing food back at each other and gigiling :mad:

throwing french fries, throwing salad, etc

I couldnt believe how two grown people could behave so stupid in a public restaurant, they were annoying :mad:
Next time leave the FEDORA LOUNGE pin at home... ( Just kidding! )

Unbelievable!

$ally said:
Not trying, just comes naturally. I'm a clock watcher. It keeps me out of the right circles.
Simple fix, set your watch (if you've got it as a feature) or phone (ditto) to chime every 15 minutes.

(I know, supposed to turn phones off, but unfortunately I require near-continuous round-the-clock communications availability, except when on a plane. I do adjust volume to the situation, though.)

$ally

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Simple fix, set your watch (if you've got it as a feature) or phone (ditto) to chime every 15 minutes.(I know, supposed to turn phones off, but unfortunately I require near-continuous round-the-clock communications availability, except when on a plane. I do adjust volume to the situation, though.)
Argh, that's a new one that my parents didn't have to teach me.
-Put the cell phone on vibrate. Excuse yourself to answer an important call. Do not chat on the cell while sitting at a bar or table. Exception would be a very casual lounge, waiting for more friends to arrive, they call needing directions. Or holding up the phone at a small live show for someone stuck at home.

Dr Doran

$ally said:

Oh. Well, as long as you don't keep looking at your watch while I'm regaling you with a SIMPLY FASCINATING ANECDOTE ABOUT THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF MID-FIFTH CENTURY ATHENIAN DIPLOMATIC EPIGRAPHY.

lol lol lol lol lol

Dr Doran

$ally

One Too Many
Doran said:
Ouch. But digital? Come on, we're Loungers. It should be a round-face mechanical. (PS on that note, I actually saw an adult wearing a digital WATCH recently ... perhaps this belongs in the I Hate The 70s thread ... I didn't think any adult wore those after 1989 at the latest)
Stick-on digital clock is pretty Golden Era, isn't it? :p Yes, I need to learn to be a good lounger and be polite. Actually, I'd be interested in that topic, even though you'd be over my head.

Dr Doran

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe