Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_1.jpg

("I still ain't sueh'r'v it," sighs Alice, gazing at the voter-registration card lying before her on the kitchen table. "What'f I get arrested? Y't'ink t'eyd sen' me back t'stir?" "Neh," reassures Krause, bent over the sink as he replaces a washer in the cold-water tap. "Lemme do it, Pap," requests Willie. "Lemme do it!" Krause nods, and pulls over a chair, allowing the boy to apply the pipe wrench to the packing nut." "Caeh'f'l a' ya awrm," calls Alice, without turning around. "T'em bruises ain' heal't yet." "I'm awright," insists Willie. "It ain' nut'n." Alice sighs, and returns to her thoughts, just as there's a rapping at the window. She jumps up, and snaps the latch, swinging the window upward. A scruffy-faced youth kneeling on the sidewalk to gaze down into the basement apartment delivers a message. "Gawtta cawl f'yeh at Schreibstein's!" Alice inhales sharply, scrambles in her overall pocket for a quarter and pushes it thru the window to the youth. "Whazzat?" queries Krause. "Nut'n," shouts Alice as she drags on her jacket and races for the door....)

Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin is expected to urge upon British Prime Minister WInston Churchill the idea that the Big Three Allied powers maintain their wartime military establishments during the postwar era on a sufficient scale to deal with any aggression or threat of aggression. Speaking in Moscow at a luncheon in Churchill's honor, the Soviet leader urged that the peace-loving nations of the world "never again be caught unawares and unprepared as they were at the outbreak of the present war." With Churchill, dressed in the uniform of a British Army colonel, seated at his side, Stalin paid warm tribute to the British and American contributions to the common Allied war effort, while Churchill, for his part, rose to praise the Red Army for "tearing the guts out of the German Wehrmacht."

Governor Thomas E. Dewey today began work on a new series of campaign speeches to be delivered as he prepares for a tour of the Midwestern states, where he is expected to make his case to the nation's farmers and industrial workers. The Republican presidential nominee will make his first speech on farm issues in St. Louis on Monday.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_4.jpg

(An ammonia tank blew up. Get over yourselves.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_18(1).jpg

("Boy, thet tharr's no bettur'n Co-Coluh," sneers the Corporal as Joe punches a hole in an olive-drab can of GI beer. "Yo' evuh had real down-home co'n whisky?" Joe snickers as he sips. "Lemme tell yeh," he laughs, "about me faw'tehr 'n lawr...")

The body of Wendell Willkie arrived today in his hometown of Rushville, Indiana, for burial in that quiet rural community where he was born. The mortal remains of the 1940 Republican Presidential nominee were carried home by special train following funeral services at the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, where 2500 persons inside the church and more than 35,000 outside paid tribute to the man who, in a time of crisis for his country, rose to become, without the benefit of public office, the political conscience of America and the world.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_23.jpg

(Every fall I have to decide whether "Pug Manders" or "Bruiser Kinard" is the greatest football name ever.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_31.jpg

(Ah, Bill Biff vomiting. We're off to a great start with this one.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_31(1).jpg

(Oh, Josephine, you and your rhetorical questions.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_31(2).jpg

(As any reader of Wodehouse knows, you can never get rid of Jeeves.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_31(3).jpg

(At least she didn't register to vote.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_31(4).jpg

(America's Number One Hero Dog hasn't yet realized he couldn't care less about the colt.)

Attachments

• Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_18.jpg
    Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_11_18.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 4

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_10_11_717.jpg

Yes, people really do use lorgnettes, if they're Lady Astor.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_741.jpg

Another hokey count? At least he's not guilty of bigamy, yet.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_787.jpg

Hey kid, quit whining. My senior year of high school I worked a full-time job. Uphill. IN THE SNOW.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_793.jpg

At least until that dopey reporter showed up.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_794.jpg

"She isn't drugged, it's sugar shock!"

Daily_News_1944_10_11_795.jpg

"AT LAST! THE HOUSE TO MYSELF!"

Daily_News_1944_10_11_102.jpg

Airport's that way.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_103.jpg

Aim high, kids.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_107.jpg

Come now, you've been around this bunch long enough to know how it goes.

Daily_News_1944_10_11_108.jpg

Nice by-line.

"Whazzat?" queries Krause.

He must have been exhausted from that speech; it was a long one for him.

Every fall I have to decide whether "Pug Manders" or "Bruiser Kinard" is the greatest football name ever.

Can we add Bronko Nagurski to the list?

Ah, Bill Biff vomiting. We're off to a great start with this one.

I'll still take it over Señora De Leon and the stupid plastic-surgery storyline.

Another hokey count? At least he's not guilty of bigamy, yet.

I thought we just shot spies back then. Oh, and while not a bigamist, he'll soon be having sex with multiple partners, but they won't be his wife...or a woman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markjames