Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And as a special bonus today, let's all have a big hand for MR. RHEINGOLD 1942!
Daily_News_Tue__Feb_10__1942_ (9).jpg

What, no bathing suit?

(
Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_10__1942_.jpg
Nothing suspicious about this. Nothing suspicious about this at all.)

The Eagle could easily have three front pages today, but still, it made room for the thoroughbred scratches; it's amazing how much a part of the cultural fabric racing was at that time.

A bill now pending in the Legislature would ease restrictions on child labor, in anticipation of a future need to use children in place of adult farm workers expected to be taken into the armed forces or war work. The bill would authorize the release from compulsory education requirements children over the age of fourteen whose labor is required in the fields during planting and harvesting seasons. Opponents of the bill contend that it requires an insufficient level of proof of need before children may be released from school to take up
farm labor.

So, let's see, out of school at 14, on the farm till 18 and, then, the draft - woohoo.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Feb_10__1942_ (11).jpg

(And the Fury's voice is provided today by Mr. Joe Besser.)

I was wondering how the Fury would get to stay behind, but this was too easy. Come on Dan Dunn - hoist Der Fury up on your shoulders and carry him onto the plane. You're not a secret agent for nuddin'. Kay would've.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_10__1942_ (1).jpg

Funny, she doesn't *look* Aryan.

Nor does Hitler or most of the top Nazis. Talk about a weird obsession driven by aesthetic envy.

392095-06a46d0071feaae24bd39fd01d7f66af.jpg

"What do YOU think, Sandy?" "I think speaking parts get more than scale!"

"Yes, sure, the barking 'thing' is a handicap, damn humans and their well-developed vocal cords, but note the beautiful fur."

Gray loves to play out his religious and moral wrangling in his scripts, but like with Bill Slagg, he drags these storylines out. I'll take a storyline with Nick over all this God's plan stuff any day.

Daily_News_Tue__Feb_10__1942_ (4).jpg
"Normandie Burns!"

"No Nomandie, I don't believe that's a piece of flak poking into you."

"Normandie" and "Burma," Caniff couldn't of had better kismet with his names.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Donald Duck is getting roasted by the IRS....
And Melvyn Douglas-always a favorite, the film to see is I Never Sang For My Father with Gene Hackman, another fav-is strictly 'WOC' just per diem.

...And Laura Ingalls actually read Mein Kampf?
I read Hitler's certamen meum in college. What a trial.
The prosecution is up against constitutional freedom of speech besides agency issue,
idle speculative banter is simply insufficient grounds upon which to approach
a grand jury; especially in New York. You can do this in Chicago but the Bar is set
higher east of Lake Michigan near the Hudson River.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I keep my copy of MK (1939 Reynal & Hitchcock translation) on the bottom shelf right next to Hadley Cantril's "The Psychology of Social Movements." And yep, I read it too.

I suspect you can push Melvyn Douglas around, but Mr. Duck is not one to be crossed. Here's the picture in question:

I keep my copy of MK (1939 Reynal & Hitchcock translation) on the bottom shelf right next to Hadley Cantril's "The Psychology of Social Movements." And yep, I read it too.

I suspect you can push Melvyn Douglas around, but Mr. Duck is not one to be crossed. Here's the picture in question:

$80,000 in '42 is about $1,400,000 today, which doesn't sound crazy for a seven minute Disney movie, but still. I was ready to fully criticize it, and yes, it's over the top in spots, but I also enjoyed it (other than nearly vomiting on the "taxes for democracy" line.) I enjoyed Donald Duck's acting more than anything else.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I wrote a paper on Mein Kampf for which I also read the US Army 1942 wartime classified Hitler psychological assessment and G2 Intelligence
file that included sexual matters best left alone. Several women
with whom AH slept with prior to 1941 committed suicide.
A nude photo of Eva Braun graced this section; apparently AH had
never seen this particular snapshot taken at a Bavarian Lake by
a male staff officer in 1939. The file remarked the officer was believed
alive; knew the snap a Damoclean sword hung over his neck.
G2 intended to keep this ace hidden until such time as might
prove useful. Hitler was a strange human being.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_.jpg

(I miss the days when Murder for Money, paving-industry corruption, and candy-store shenanigans were front page stuff.)

In San Francisco, a former Tokio chief of police who entered the United States several months ago as a Buddhist priest is among the latest batch of enemy aliens held today by the FBI as a result of smashing raids in half a dozen towns and communities along the strategic Monterey County area. More than a score of enemy aliens were trapped, it was announced by FBI headquarters in California, and a huge amount of contraband siezed, including firearms and ammunition. Also in custody today on the Coast is former New York German-American Bund member Charles Grub, and John George Maljus, a seamon from Philadelphia, who were arrested on suspicion of sabotage. The FBI raiders centered their activity on a Buddhist temple at Salinas, where the premises were searched and three priests arrested. G-Men found in the temple a collection of maps, radio microphones, and mimeograph equipment.

Legal barriers to coping with the "enemy alien menace" on the West Coast may lead to a declaration of martial law for the Pacific states, Justice Department officials stated today. Such a move, it was indicated, would permit military authorities to order and carry out the evacuation of any and all enemy aliens from strategic areas.

The Brooklyn Citizens League today went on record in support of Paul J. Kern, president of the Municipal Civil Service Commission, and commission member Dr. Wallace S. Sayre, in their controversy with Mayor LaGuardia, who has suspended the two from duty pending the resolution of removal proceedings against them. The League voted also to support the actions taken by the Commission to remove four appointed employees of the Brooklyn register's office in preparation for filling those positions by competitive examination. The League joined with several other organizations, including the Brooklyn Citizens' Union, the City Affairs Committee, and the Greater New York Industrial Council of the CIO in calling on the Mayor to reinstate Kern and Sayre. But the suspensions were endorsed by the Civil Service Reform Association, which declared that "Mr. Kern's habitual vilification of those who do not agree with him...brings the municipal commission into disrepute and damages the merit system."

The fates of convicted Murder for Money killers Frank "The Dasher" Abbadando and Harry "Happy" Maione rest in the hands of Governor Herbert J. Lehman today, with the two gunmen due to face the electric chair at Sing Sing Prison next week. It is expected that Maione and Abbadando will be executed on the night of February 19th unless the Governor decides to extend clemency. Pleas presented by their attorneys yesterday argued that the two were convicted in an atmosphere of "prejudice fostered by undue publicity" and by the machinations of self-confessed killers like the late Abe "Kid Twist" Reles who turned state's evidence to testify against them. Abbadando and Maione were convicted last year for hacking police informant George Rudnick to death with ice picks and meat cleavers in an Atlantic Avenue garage on May 25, 1937. Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus, who prosecuted the Rudnick case, attributed a total of seventeen Murder For Money killings to Maione and nine to Abbadando.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(1).jpg

(I had no idea there was such a thing as a "long sneery Norwegian beak," but I don't know too many Norwegians.)

A 53-year-old Park Slope man will not be charged with turning in a false fire alarm after he explained to Magistrate Vincent J. Sweeney that he did so because his throat had just been slashed. Joseph Serino of 485 7th Avenue appeared yesterday in Brooklyn Felony Court to explain that he had been drinking with 55-year-old Frank Bruno of 639 6th Avenue when an eight-year-old argument between the two men flared up, and as it escalated, Bruno slashed open his throat with a penknife. Serino told the Magistrate he left the bar at 6th Avenue and 17th Street and when he realized he was losing too much blood, he pulled an alarm box to summon help. When the firemen arrived, they found Serino leaning against the box and took him to the hospital, where it took sixteen stitches to close the wound. Bruno is being held on $1000 bail for Grand Jury action on a charge of felonious assault.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(2).jpg

("Huh!" huhs Joe. "Mickey Rooney as a goil kin'a looks like...um" "Um what?" interrupts Sally. "Well, um, kin'a like *you.*" "Like ME???" "Well, um, ya bot' Irish, I guess, so I guess t'ez a resembl'nce, be o'ny nat'ral.....um...c'ept ya TALLEH'n he is.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(3).jpg

(I wonder if Miss Mayris Chaney plans to go to Cuba next month?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(4).jpg

("Care For Your Car -- For Your Country!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(5).jpg

("Don't get nervous, Mickey, it's just that we feel that, well, it'd be nice to have a couple of guys around who could, you know, not...ah...")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(6).jpg

(Ever have one of those days?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(7).jpg

(At least there's a cash flow.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(8).jpg

(You might be a suave gentleman and all, but you really shouldn't write war bond ads on Mary's nice walls.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(9).jpg
(Didn't you meatheads learn anything the last time??)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_.jpg

"Lookit!" says Joe. "A letteh f'm Solly! Sez heah, "Deeah Joe an' Sal, I can't tell ya wheah I am, but t'ey like wawm beeah a lot. It ain' so bad oncet ya get uset'it. I been doin' real good heah, t'ez a lotta action. I don' unnehstan' t'money yet, but whateveh it is, I won a lottuv'it. Am sendin yez undeh sep'rate coveh a decka cahds t''at you will fine usef'l. If ya can't figgeh it out, aks Sal's brutta t'splain how it woiks, he'c'n figgeh it out quick." "Hmph!" hmphs Sally. "Oh," reads Joe, "be soiten t'at y' don' get in no games wit' Sal's brutta bef'oeh he 'splainsa cahds to ya. I woult'n wannat on my conscience."

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(2).jpg

Explanations would certainly seem to be in order.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(3).jpg

Are you sure you're a real doctor? Anybody can go down to Davega and buy a stethoscope.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(4).jpg

Stealing a milk wagon? You can get life for that!

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(5).jpg

Don't snicker now, Ted Williams hit .406 with a physique like that.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(6).jpg

And not a drop of spirit gum in the lot.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(7).jpg

And there you have it -- two months after Pearl Harbor, the first time Mr. Caniff calls the Invaders something other than the Invaders.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(8).jpg

Welcome to the carpool.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(9).jpg
Kayo has an interesting center of gravity.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(10).jpg

No jury would convict.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caniff calls a spade a spade. Unfortunately, he failed to pencil
a celestial sextant for navigational use. The plane commander also
calls a strike across his navigator's plate by remarking enemy laxity.
Imperial supply lines have been stretched tautly across various attack
points; tactical immediacy grants Pat et al alter back to Hong Kong
where presumably they will be stuck for the duration.

(I m
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_.jpg
iss the days when Murder for Money, paving-industry corruption, and candy-store shenanigans were front page stuff.)

It's really amazing to have read about these historical events in books and seen them in movies all these years and, now, to experience them "in real time" as the public did.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(1).jpg

(I had no idea there was such a thing as a "long sneery Norwegian beak," but I don't know too many Norwegians.)

I am expecting before and after pics from Page Four (it is for just this reason that the universe has a Page Four).

"Then I got a load of myself on screen and when I stood sideways, you couldn't see any of the other actors." I think she just won line-of-the-day.

("Huh!" huhs Joe. "Mickey Rooney as a goil kin'a looks like...um" "Um what?" interrupts Sally. "Well, um, kin'a like *you.*" "Like ME???" "Well, um, ya bot' Irish, I guess, so I guess t'ez a resembl'nce, be o'ny nat'ral.....um...c'ept ya TALLEH'n he is.")

Everybody on earth is taller than Mickey Rooney.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(9).jpg

(Didn't you meatheads learn anything the last time??)

Dan on the way out is going to fly smack dab into Sparky on the way in.

And in the Daily News...

"Lookit!" says Joe. "A letteh f'm Solly! Sez heah, "Deeah Joe an' Sal, I can't tell ya wheah I am, but t'ey like wawm beeah a lot. It ain' so bad oncet ya get uset'it. I been doin' real good heah, t'ez a lotta action. I don' unnehstan' t'money yet, but whateveh it is, I won a lottuv'it. Am sendin yez undeh sep'rate coveh a decka cahds t''at you will fine usef'l. If ya can't figgeh it out, aks Sal's brutta t'splain how it woiks, he'c'n figgeh it out quick." "Hmph!" hmphs Sally. "Oh," reads Joe, "be soiten t'at y' don' get in no games wit' Sal's brutta bef'oeh he 'splainsa cahds to ya. I woult'n wannat on my conscience."
Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_.jpg

Lookit!" says Joe. "A letteh f'm Solly! Sez heah, "Deeah Joe an' Sal, I can't tell ya wheah I am, but t'ey like wawm beeah a lot. It ain' so bad oncet ya get uset'it. I been doin' real good heah, t'ez a lotta action. I don' unnehstan' t'money yet, but whateveh it is, I won a lottuv'it. Am sendin yez undeh sep'rate coveh a decka cahds t''at you will fine usef'l. If ya can't figgeh it out, aks Sal's brutta t'splain how it woiks, he'c'n figgeh it out quick." "Hmph!" hmphs Sally. "Oh," reads Joe, "be soiten t'at y' don' get in no games wit' Sal's brutta bef'oeh he 'splainsa cahds to ya. I woult'n wannat on my conscience."...

Team Temperance hasn't had a good day for over a decade now.

How funny would it have been if the USO had ended up receiving and sending out to the troops all the pinball machines LaGuardia confiscated.

That half-brother-sister team deserves each other.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(3).jpg

Are you sure you're a real doctor? Anybody can go down to Davega and buy a stethoscope.

No kidding. Healthy ten-year-olds don't contract pneumonia from a few days of mourning. That's not how it works; that's now how any of this works.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(4).jpg

Stealing a milk wagon? You can get life for that!

"Let's see, four times six plus ten on Sunday equals thirty four. Thirty four damn panels to produce each week. Some will be stupid and filler, no getting around it." - Gould

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_11__1942_(7).jpg

And there you have it -- two months after Pearl Harbor, the first time Mr. Caniff calls the Invaders something other than the Invaders.

And he didn't ease into it; he came in guns blazing.

If they need to reduce load, toss Sandhurst out.

When the plane lands, Pat will now be on Burma and Hu Shee's side of the line. I'm sensing reunions. Won't Burma love meeting Normandie. "Hi, I'm Burma." "Hi, I'm Normandie, why is you blouse unbuttoned?" (later that day) "Pat, how'd your face get all scratch up?" "I had to break up a, oh never mind."

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1644609702122.png

Every now and then you read about someone who wants to "recreate" the Titanic, as if a first class suite as determined by 1912 standards would be anything to brag about in the 21st Century. Never understood the appeal myself. To me, the Normandie is the ship that would better display the best of the bygone liners.

Were anyone to recreate a truly luxury transatlantic crossing experience the 1930's to 1950's Queens of Cunard were also far more impressive than the 1912 White Star ship. The Normandie, arguably, was found to be deemed too luxurious by many. It was a floating Art Deco palace that really overdid luxury- to the point that some travelers chose the Queen Mary because it wasn't quite so ostentatious. The French government had to subsidize Normandie and she never showed a profit, but it was a tragedy that she ended the way that she did. She deserved a better fate.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When the plane lands, Pat will now be on Burma and Hu Shee's side of the line. I'm sensing reunions. Won't Burma love meeting Normandie. "Hi, I'm Burma." "Hi, I'm Normandie, why is you blouse unbuttoned?" (later that day) "Pat, how'd your face get all scratch up?" "I had to break up a, oh never mind."

Burma and Hu Shee are convenient characters for Caniff to pencil in now,
and Dragon Gal must needs be a peripatetic pirate-partisan, hither and yon,
yin and yang but she must make a cameo appearance at least just to keep up
appearances.... Pat, gad leprechaun about town, will in all likelihood put the move
on Normandie after Sandhurst buys the rice paddy. A plane crash seems about now...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Given that Pat is, in fact, on the DL's payroll, I'd say we can start counting the days until she shows up again, and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Hu Shee somewhere close by. The reunion, however, will not be a particularly lingering one, considering where we are in the timeline. Judging from when the evacuation of Hong Kong took place in our own reality, Pat and company are about five weeks behind as the calendar counts. Seeing how Mr. Caniff catches up with reality will be fascinating.

I add my voice to those calling for Sandhurst to be tossed overboard, preferably with a suitable weight tied to his ankles so that he doesn't bounce back up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_.jpg

(Yeah, free laundry is the least you can do. "Nothing's too good for our boys!" Meanwhile, Chester Gould reviews today's news from the Stork Club with great interest.)

Soviet forces are reported to be battering at the gates of Kharkov, Orel, and Rzhev today against German resistance stiffened by fresh reserves. Radio Moscow reported that Russian ski troops were smiting last summer's conquerors over a wide area, even behind their own lines. Last night's Red Army communique reported that Russian units on the northwestern front had captured eight populated places in 24 hours and had scored additional victories in other sectors. Military observers in London suggested the Soviet offensive might be slowing due to heavy snow, although the Germans reported that rising temperatures are creating transport problems.

The fate of 35 crew members aboard the torpedoed Standard Oil Company tanker W. L. Steed, sunk off the New Jersey coast on February 2nd, remained cloaked today in heavy mystery, with little hope held out that any of the crew are left alive. Three members of the crew who made their way to shore yesterday after more than a week in a lifeboat reported that the remaining crewmen were last seen in three other lifeboats pulling away from the stricken ship, as a submarine fired a total of 17 shells into the vessel. A South American steamer that made an East Coast port yesterday reported sighting a drifting lifeboat with dungaree-clad bodies aboard. The Steed is the 16th American vessel attacked, and the 15th sunk, since Germany began unrestricted submarine warfare off the Atlantic coast last month.

The end of the trail for Louis Gershowitz, last of the so-called "Ladyfinger Gang" of jewel thieves that robbed the home of a wealthy Long Island family in 1938 is now at hand. The 28-year-old Manhattan resident, who has eluded police for nearly four years while parading around nightclubs disguised in blackface, was nabbed yesterday as he arrived at his 1 Post Road home as a result of intensive detective work by members of the Safe and Loft Squad. Gershowitz was not wearing his blackface makeup when arrested, and was picked out of a lineup this morning along with a companion, Sam Goodman of 140 Rivington Street, who was with him at the time of his arrest. Gershowitz is believed to be one of eleven theives who plotted and executed a $94,700 jewel robbery at the estate of Charles Milgrim, in the millionaire's colony at Woodsborough, Long Island, and nine months later held up Mrs. James Forrestal, wife of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy. Goodman is not believed to have been involved in either of those robberies, but police noted that he has an extensive police record dating back to 1930, and is being held for further questioning.

Adolf Hitler's nephew told the Brooklyn Kiwanis Club yesterday that his uncle will go down to defeat just as Napoleon did. Speaking before a club luncheon at the Hotel Bossert, William Patrick Hitler predicted that "Nazism will perish because the democracies, though slow to start, will defend freedom to the very last and will triumph. W. P. Hitler is the son of the Fuehrer's half brother, who deserted his son and his Irish mother when the boy was two years old. William P. Hitler first met his uncle in 1929, and lived in Germany from 1930 to 1939.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(1).jpg

(It's a wonder any of these clubs stay in business.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_.jpg

(Because Mr. Lincoln dearly loved corn flakes and apple butter.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(1).jpg

(Hmph! Next thing you'll want to raise the price of a Coke!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(2).jpg

(It's A Living....)

The way was cleared today for the complete elimination of pinball machines from the city, with Supreme Court Justice Aaron Levy of Manhattan ruling to uphold the Police Department's right to confiscate the machines as gambling devices, and denying a motion by the Savoy Vending Company of Brooklyn to issue an injunction preventing police seizure of 70 machines remaining in the company's Atlantic Avenue warehouse. It is expected that all of the seized machines will be stripped for metal scrap to be turned over to the war effort. Already about ten tons of pinball scrap has made its way to the furnaces, with an estimated 8000 machines believed still at large in the city.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(3).jpg

(A WEEK FROM TODAY! A WEEK FROM TODAY! A WEEK FROM TODAY!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(4).jpg

(Ew.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(5).jpg

(Jo may have her faults, but you can't argue she's a bad judge of character.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(6).jpg

(Yeah, well, wait'll you try and cut the steak.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(7).jpg

("What's this in the glove compartment? 'Michelin Travel Guide to Scotland?'")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_.jpg

Cecil Brown, an original "Murrow Boy," has a reputation as a puller of no punches, which will get him thrown out of more jobs -- and countries -- than just about any other reporter of his generation.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(1).jpg

Oh, I thought it was my glasses.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(2).jpg

Bill Slagg wouldn't stand around talking to himself.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(3).jpg

But what about all those poor kids who won't get their Dari-Rich??

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(4).jpg

END OF THE LINE! ALL OUT!

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(5).jpg

Heads up!

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(6).jpg

Make this moment last, kids, because it might be the last time.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(7).jpg

It does tend to happen a lot.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(8).jpg

"Do you go to Reno or do I?" "Who cares? Flip a coin."

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(9).jpg

"And notice the nice colored pins. All the real generals use nice colored pins."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_.jpg
(Yeah, free laundryis the least you can do. "Nothing's too good for our boys!" Meanwhile, Chester Gould reviews today's news from the Stork Club with great interest.)

I'm expecting a full Page Four treatment of the Stork Club story.

The fate of 35 crew members aboard the torpedoed Standard Oil Company tanker W. L. Steed, sunk off the New Jersey coast on February 2nd, remained cloaked today in heavy mystery, with little hope held out that any of the crew are left alive. Three members of the crew who made their way to shore yesterday after more than a week in a lifeboat reported that the remaining crewmen were last seen in three other lifeboats pulling away from the stricken ship, as a submarine fired a total of 17 shells into the vessel. A South American steamer that made an East Coast port yesterday reported sighting a drifting lifeboat with dungaree-clad bodies aboard. The Steed is the 16th American vessel attacked, and the 15th sunk, since Germany began unrestricted submarine warfare off the Atlantic coast last month.

Based on my movie-goer knowledge of submarine warfare, seventeen shells sounds like a crazy high number for one submarine to fire into one ship. But then again, at least I've been told, sometimes Hollywood doesn't portray things accurately. :)

The end of the trail for Louis Gershowitz, last of the so-called "Ladyfinger Gang" of jewel thieves that robbed the home of a wealthy Long Island family in 1938 is now at hand. The 28-year-old Manhattan resident, who has eluded police for nearly four years while parading around nightclubs disguised in blackface, was nabbed yesterday as he arrived at his 1 Post Road home as a result of intensive detective work by members of the Safe and Loft Squad. Gershowitz was not wearing his blackface makeup when arrested, and was picked out of a lineup this morning along with a companion, Sam Goodman of 140 Rivington Street, who was with him at the time of his arrest. Gershowitz is believed to be one of eleven theives who plotted and executed a $94,700 jewel robbery at the estate of Charles Milgrim, in the millionaire's colony at Woodsborough, Long Island, and nine months later held up Mrs. James Forrestal, wife of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy. Goodman is not believed to have been involved in either of those robberies, but police noted that he has an extensive police record dating back to 1930, and is being held for further questioning.

Another story that would not be believable if tried as fiction.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(2).jpg

(It's A Living....)

Always has been.

The way was cleared today for the complete elimination of pinball machines from the city, with Supreme Court Justice Aaron Levy of Manhattan ruling to uphold the Police Department's right to confiscate the machines as gambling devices, and denying a motion by the Savoy Vending Company of Brooklyn to issue an injunction preventing police seizure of 70 machines remaining in the company's Atlantic Avenue warehouse. It is expected that all of the seized machines will be stripped for metal scrap to be turned over to the war effort. Already about ten tons of pinball scrap has made its way to the furnaces, with an estimated 8000 machines believed still at large in the city.

Tommy can you hear me?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(3).jpg

(A WEEK FROM TODAY! A WEEK FROM TODAY! A WEEK FROM TODAY!)

If he wants it, Nick Gatt could have a very successful career as a fight promoter.

Oh, I thou
Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(1).jpg
ght it was my glasses.

"...the tired business men in the front row send notes backstage...." Inaccurate adjective alert!

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(3).jpg

Bill Slagg wouldn't stand around talking to himself.

"We demand one-million dollars for the safe return of your daughter Debbie."
"No, not interested."
"$500k?"
"Pound sand."
"$100K or we cut off a finger."
"She's got nine others."
"That's cold, how 'bout $10k?"
"I give you or you give me?"
"Don't be ridiculous...oh who are we kidding, we give you, just take her."
"That's nowhere near enough - enjoy your hostage, she's all yours."
"Next time we'll rob a bank."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Feb_12__1942_(6).jpg

Make this moment last, kids, because it might be the last time.

A very "The Last Convertible" moment.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A very "The Last Convertible" moment.

Anton Myrer so captured the moment.

His paean to youth held a number of poignant moments but a particular post war
campus comment took hold when he remarked lost souls who gained Harvard College admission
but found themselves excluded from elite eating club fraternities and like distanced kept
by well-to-do scions. Myrer mentions all this in passing nonchalance, its brevity more remarkable.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Interesting note to Ms Olderman's slaying her friend Bost, a French national.
A quick scan only but apparently the deceased was stabbed in the chest, a knife and scissors
found cleaned? and put away in a drawer. Indicative of considered thought prior to her
reporting said incident to landlord who probably called police. In criminal law it is a sound shibboleth
that initial witness statements are generally true. And, if evasive are intentionally so.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
1644686299360.png

{Plot spoiler alert}That name, "Laura Ingalls," really popped out at me. A little Wiki research led me to discover that she was a distant cousin of the Little House author, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and was an unapologetic fan of Adolf Hitler.

She ended up convicted of failing to register as a foreign agent. Even after prison, she continued her pro- Nazi stance. Too bad that, unlike Charles Lindburgh, she never even got a medal for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe