Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_06_14_362.jpg

Coming Events Cast their Shadows Before...

Daily_News_1944_06_14_364.jpg

If you're having theatrical headshots taken, bear in mind how they'll look on Page Four.

Daily_News_1944_06_14_410.jpg

Ew, note the ears. Wonder if he knows Littleface?

Daily_News_1944_06_14_412.jpg

"Is that so? Well, I'll have you know Clare Boothe Luce plays a very fine piano!"

Daily_News_1944_06_14_416.jpg

"Arf!" says Sandy.

Daily_News_1944_06_14_418.jpg

Mr. King has been planning that one for years.

Daily_News_1944_06_14_423.jpg

The problem in Hollywood is that EVERYBODY smells like spirit gum.

Daily_News_1944_06_14_424.jpg

Tsk, Lieutenant. Non-regulation insignia? That's a demerit!

Daily_News_1944_06_14_427.jpg

I bet the floorboards around that bathtub are really moldy by now.

Daily_News_1944_06_14_429.jpg

And don't worry, the Shore Patrol has already made you "off limits."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And also...

Daily_News_1944_06_14_432.jpg

Somehow I don't think Ronald Smith will qualify for any Eisenhower medal as Father Of The Year. And if that giant cash register looks familiar, it's the very same giant cash register that used to stand atop the National Cash Register Company pavillion at the World's Fair, mounted on a rotating plinth and announcing each day's attendance. Hey, maybe they can find "Joe The Worker" next.

"Nora, they took harr to Bellevue."

She'd be safer in the Tombs - no electroshock therapy.

"Hey, c'mon. How come Levant doesn't get his picture up there?"

They want people to come.

" And I don't care how old Otto Miller is, he never had his picture in the paper chasing a ball with an arrow pointing to it."

It really is the comedic gift that just keeps giving.

America's Number One Vagrant/Squatter Dog is leaving the dog hero field wide open for:
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

Who, though, unfortunately, was last heard screaming, "Stunt dog! Where is the stunt dog!" as Annie headed down the cellar stairs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_1.jpg

("Are you aware," interrogates Dr. Levine, seated with Ma and Uncle Frank in a consultation room at Bellevue Hospital, "of your daughter's history of manic episodes?" "Well," demurs Ma, her hands clenched under the edge of the conference table, "Oi'll admit she can be a bit -- what's th' waaard -- hoigh stroong, but..." "On March 5th of this year," reads Dr. Levine from a sheet atop a clipboard lying on the table before her, "your daughter and an -- ah -- Alice Krause -- were arrested by a state police trooper on the Sunrise Highway outside Massapequa on suspicion of violating rationing laws when he stopped to assist with a blown-out tire and found the truck they were operating -- ah, your truck, I believe, Mr. Leary -- was carrying a large load of empty bottles." Uncle Frank tugs uncomfortably at his collar, as Ma forces her lips into an impassive line. "On -- ah -- May 12, 1942," Dr. Levine continues, "your daughter was arrested by a patrolman from the Empire Boulevard precinct after she assaulted a man on the sidewalk outside Ebbets Field in a dispute over baseball tickets." "That ain' noothin'," snorts Ma. "People aahlways gett'n into foights aroun' that place. She nivver roon out aaahn th'field an' knocked down no oompire." "On-- ah -- June 3, 1937," Dr. Levine continues, "she was arrested at Loew's Oriental Theatre on a charge of malicious mischief after throwing a brick thru the screen to -- ah -- protest the showing of a Hearst newsreel. On March 18, 1937, she was arrested on an assault charge for -- let me see -- hitting a police patrolman on the head with a parfait glass during a sit-down strike at the Woolworth store where she was employed." "Those warr difficult toimes," acknowledged Ma. "She was foitin' farr her roits, as any good Irishwoman would do." "And on June 20, 1931," sighs Dr. Levine, "your daughter was arrested at the Paramount Theatre along with several other young women after -- ah -- throwing -- uh -- their undergarments on the stage during a performance by -- ah -- Rudy Vallee." "Yoongstarrs will be yoongstars!" dismisses Ma. "And in each of these instances," summarizes Dr. Levine, the records show that charges were dropped." Dr. Levine looks up from the clipboard, and notes that Uncle Frank is very carefully averting his gaze. "Did you," queres Dr. Levine, "have something to add, Mr. Leary?" "Oooh no, ma'am," replies Uncle Frank with a bit of a nervous tremor. "Not a thing t' add." "It appears evident from all of this, and from my own previous conversations with Mrs. Petrauskas," continues Dr. Levine, "that your daughter has a history of poor impulse control exacerbated by a tendency toward what we refer to as manic-depressive behavior." Ma and Uncle Frank exchange knowing glances but remain silent. "In this most recent instance," the doctor continues, "a railroad conductor was seriously injured, but has subsequently withdrawn all charges, claiming his fall off the platform was the result of his own clumsiness." Ma glances at Uncle Frank, and his eyes flick to a fascinating spot in a high corner of the room. "Mrs. Sweeney, Mr. Leary," sighs Dr. Levine, "your daughter's condition appears to be growing worse since her husband was inducted into the Army. I recommend that she remain hospitalized for the time being. A course of medication with lithium bromide can be of considerable help in a situation such as this, along with a continued course of psychiatric therapy, and..." "Of carrrse," nods Ma nervously. "Boot -- th' baby..." "Baby?" puzzles Dr. Levine. "Oh, ah, Leonora. I understand the child is in your care at present, and ideally, if your circumstances permit, it would be best to continue with this rather than to place the child with.." "Of carrrse," repeats Ma. "We can caaare farr Leonora as loong as it takes. Boot th' choild she's -- carryin'...." Dr. Levine sits back with a start. "Oh," she exhales. "I wasn't aware your daughter is pregnant. She never mentioned..." "Nivvvar MENTIONED?" blurts Ma. "An' yoo harrr OBSTETRICIAN?" Dr. Levine's eyes widen. "There seems to be some confusion here," she explains in an even tone. "I formerly practiced obstetrics, yes, but I no longer do so. I'm here today in my capacity as your daughter's psychiatrist." Ma and Uncle Frank exchange worried glances as the implication of this statement sinks in...)

Thousands of Allied warplanes crossed the Channel today in support of the invasion of Normandy, in the wake of RAF attacks on the E-boat pens lining the Seine along the bank at Le Havre. The aerial fleet, which continued the near-incessant hammering of German supply routes to the front, was made up of virtually all types of planes. The daylight attacks folllows two heavy RAF raids on Le Harve, where blockbuster bombs pounded the reinforced-concrete E-boat pens.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_4.jpg

(Sure, but Michelle Morgan is no Ingrid Bergman...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_5.jpg

(OK, so she's busy...)

The Eagle Editorialist warns that while we have made great gains in France since the Invasion we are still far from victory. "Our armies have achieved a miracle of human endeavor," acknowledges the EE, "in effecting a landing on the shore of Normandy, but their position will continue to be precarious, as dangerous, and as unstable as the position of the invaders at Anzio unless the first major objective of the campaign has been attained -- the capture of the port of Cherbourg."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_10.jpg

("Y'think so do ya? Get that roll of barbed wire out of the garage!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_14.jpg

(Come now, Mr. Burr. The "omit Flowers" gag was funny yesterday, but that does not mean that it will be funny today.)

Lou Boudreau of the Indians thinks the best shortstop in the American League right now is Vern Stephens of the Browns, and he has so recommended Stephens for the starting shortstop role on his ballot for next month's All Star game. While therefore not nominating himself for that job, Boudreau did vote for four members of his own starting lineup, including pitcher Mel Harder, third basemen Ken Keltner, outfielder Oris Hockett, and our old friend outfielder Roy "Got $25,000 Out Of Larry MacPhail" Cullenbine.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_19.jpg

(MIND ON YOUR WORK DOC.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_19(1).jpg

("That wolf made a pass at me!" Well, that's an angle we hadn't considered.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_19(2).jpg

("Sour apples!" drools Tubby. "WHERE?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_19(3).jpg

(Hey, I bet Batman takes his phone off the hook once in a while...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_15_19(4).jpg

(Back home, Kitty stretches out on the couch. "THE BIG GOOF IS FINALLY GONE!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_06_15_528.jpg

"N. Gwendolyn Echo Cushing?"

Daily_News_1944_06_15_553.jpg

Actually, from what I understand of it, Goebbels was more of a soccer fan.

Daily_News_1944_06_15_556.jpg

Well that's certainly an interesting piece of machinery for -- uh -- opening cocoanuts?

Daily_News_1944_06_15_566.jpg

When Annie's really scared, her hair becomes smooth and well-combed.

Daily_News_1944_06_15_574.jpg

"All right then. Let's get to it."

Daily_News_1944_06_15_577.jpg

Where do you even get a sweater like that?

Daily_News_1944_06_15_578.jpg

"...and I say the hell with it!"

Daily_News_1944_06_15_579.jpg

Shavetail!

Daily_News_1944_06_15_581.jpg

Just like Roseland.

Daily_News_1944_06_15_583.jpg

Unfortunately, Providence doesn't take Blue Cross.

"N. Gwendolyn Echo Cushing?"

That's a good name and WTF one, but I know we've seen even crazier ones. Sadly, I didn't keep a list; I wish I had. We had one or two married countesses who had names that were in the "nine or ten names long" category. A couple of our society debs have had some humdingers, too.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
We had one or two married countesses who had names that were in the "nine or ten names long" category. A couple of our society debs have had some humdingers, too.
A few Cambridge blanket right turned and manor born acquaintances. Long stem roses.
Cockney pub wenches and assorted lipsticks preferred and easily found beyond campus.;)

Terrence receives his pips. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_1.jpg

("Yaaaaah," sighs Uncle Frank, slapping the paper with the back of his hand. "It's a woondar we're not AAAHL in Bellevue livin' in a waaarld loik this. Robot bombs!" "Never moind that," dismisses Ma. "Did ye see Sally this marrnin'?" "They let me in farr joost a minute," shrugs Uncle Frank. "She wanted t'see Leonora, an' she was worried aboot th' cat. She didn't soond like Sally though, she was taaahlkin real slow. Doctarr Levine said it was th' medicine they give 'arr." "Leonora's catchin' aaahn soomthin's oop," notes Ma. "Ye can't poot mooch past that choild." "No," mutters Uncle Frank, glancing at the door to the back room. "Ye can't. Anyway, I staaahped boi tharr buildin' after an' taaalked t' Mistar Krause. He's seein' t' th' cat, he goos oop an' feeds 'arr an' does what needs t'be doon. Tharr ahll worried aboot'ar ovar tharr. Alice says she's talked t'th' plant managarr aboot Sally's jaahb, an' Oi guess tharr warrkin' soomthin oot. But Alice says they caan't hoold'arr job laaang." "Did ye," demands Ma, "taaalk t'th' Red Cross?" "Thar ain't no chaance of a hardship discharge farr Joe," shrugs Uncl;e Frank. "They've toightened right oop on those since th' Invasion, an' on toppa that it don't even look like he's gonna get any leave aaafter 'ee finishes 'is school. He'll get shipped straight t'Kilmarr, an' then ovarseas.""That's what set Sally off," sighs Ma. "She doon't want'im goin' ovarr there. And I don't..." Ma's thought is interrupted by the skeening of the screen door as a small and neatly dressed elderly man enters. "Mrs. Sweeney, it is?" he inquires. "Milton Ginsboig. I live downstairs from Sally and Yussel, downstairs, in Bensonhoist. My wife and I, we live. We hoid and we wanted to offer our help." "Oh yes," nods Ma. Ye take care'a Leonora on Mondays an' Wednesdays." "Glad to know ye, Ginsbarg," adds Uncle Frank, extending his hand. "And you, Mr. Sweeney," nods Mr. G. "Leary, actually," corrects Uncle Frank. "Oh yes," nods Mr. G. "I understand. When I come to this country I am Mendel Gintzboig, with a 'T-Z' When I open my tailor shop, I put out a sign. I think 'Milton Ginsboig' looks better. So I am Milton Ginsboig. As Shakespeare, what's in a name?" "Ah," replies Uncle Frank with a polite chuckle. "I am hoping," Mr. G resumes, "that you will see to allow us to continue with Leonora on Mondays and Tuesdays. A child needs to know of the world, to understand. We take her to see places and do things. Sally and Yussel know the importance, the importance of this, you see. You are clearly people of intelligence, and you see as well?" "Ah," nods Ma, glancing over at Leonora, rattling the locked knob of the backroom door. "Oi agree with ye, Mistarr Ginsbaaarg," she nods. "Oi do. Oi always troyed t'get Sally t'take an' interest in th'ootside warrld, boot she'd raather stay in th' hoose with harr books. Boi ahhhl means, Moondays an' Wednesdays." "Oh," adds Ma, cocking an eyebrow at Uncle Frank, "oi might add Leonora has a raaather -- woild imagination. If she taalks of foony things she sees here, of, oooh, maaahnsters an' -- an' -- what's that waaard she says -- 'slommasheen,' well, it's that imagination at waaaark. Isn't that so, Francis?" "Hm?" hms Uncle Frank. "Oh, indeed, indeed." "Oh yes," nods Mr. G, tipping Uncle Frank an unmistakable wink, "Imagination. She is a very imaginitive child.")

Allied armies in general advances up to 25 miles have swept thru a number of Italian towns to the gates of Groseto, 90 miles northwest of Rome, and 65 miles below Florence, it was officially announced today. Landslide gains by the 5th and 8th Armies overwhelmed feeble German resistance at Terni, industrial and communications center 45 miles north of Rome and reached 25 miles behind it to Todi.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_2.jpg

(There's a New World Coming.)

A demand by housewives that rationing resume for all grades of meat is being studied today by regional OPA director Daniel P. Woolley. A delegation representing the New York Area Consumers Committee made the demand yesterday, as members of the New York State Food Merchants Association charged that the present meat situation has them forced to buy undesirable cuts from wholesalers in order to receive the cuts that they do want. One butcher noted that he has been stuck with $2000 worth of bottled beef extract that he does not want and for which there is no demand. The demands come as the Mayor announced in a statement that the promises made by meat distributors when rationing was eased have not been kept "We can get plenty of the less desirable cuts," he noted, "but the people don't want them."

A War Labor Board decision on the ongoing dispute between makers of phonograph records and radio descriptions on the one side and the American Federation of Musicians on the other left the principal issues in the dispute unresolved today. The WLB ordered the AFM to resume making recordings for RCA Victor, the Columbia Recording Corporation, and the National Broadcasting Company after a lapse of nearly two years, but did not rule on whether the companies should be required to make royalty contributions to a union unemployment fund. The AFM has reached settlements with about 80 smaller recording firms, but the "big three" have rejected all union proposals. In response, the board has ordered all parties to negotiate on a schedule of payments to be placed in escrow pending an agreement, unless the strike is settled within the next fifteen days. Union musicians have not recorded for the three firms since August 1, 1942.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_6.jpg

("When girls knew their place.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_10.jpg

(And we'll have none of that defeatist talk!)

The ban on cameras on Coney Island, Rockaway Beach, and Jones Beach has been lifted by order of the Eastern Defense Command. The prohibition on all civilian beach photograph has been in effect since September 7, 1942. A military curfew prohibiting the public from all beaches between sunset and sunrise remains in force. Any possession by any civilian of firearms, radio transmitters, binoculars, signal devices, or explosives on any beach remains prohibited.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_14.jpg

(I"m sorry, but I just have to speak up here. Al Davis's nickname, and anyone who has read the Eagle for lo these many years will know this, is "BuMMy." Not "BuNNy." "BUMMY." Because he's, you know, a bum. And Rickey is holding an empty chair still for Arky Vaughan? Or should we call him Elijah?)

Fashion note -- the Dodgers have put aside their two-toned satin caps and matching hosiery for night games, at least while on the road. It was felt that the regular blue caps and stockings better set off the Alice-blue satin road suits.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_19.jpg

(Dark cloud hanging over the situation, Mary?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_19(1).jpg

("Do us both a favor, old chap, and don't look in the cellar. Now then. Join me in a drink, eh what?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_19(2).jpg

(EVERYBODY's wearing windowpane checks this year!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_19(3).jpg

(Mr. Stamm has listened to "Sorry Wrong Number" twice, and was really impressed.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_16_19(4).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG deals every day with real life emotional conflicts.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_06_16_373.jpg

Act III.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_376.jpg

Either that dateline's a typo, or the News has figured out how to publish dispatches from the future. That's one way to lure all the numbers players away from the Mirror.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_416.jpg

"Oh, and here's your warrant." "Tracy, this is a laundry ticket." "Right, after you're done, pick up my shirts."

Daily_News_1944_06_16_417.jpg

Nah, never happen.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_418.jpg

Nina's been reading Elizabeth Hawes too.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_422.jpg

But these two clods haven't.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_423.jpg

It's been a long time since we saw a good underground lair.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_427.jpg

Know your limitations, kid.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_429.jpg

"Free! This Fine Pea Shooter!" Mr. Willard sure knows his comic books.

Daily_News_1944_06_16_431.jpg

"How dreadful if it had been a man." When Mr. Caniff goes there, he comes right out and goes there.

I love the Ginsboigs. They are salt of the freakin' earth.

The Daily News might be seeing the future, but it missed the flying bombs in the present - how did that not make the front page? Or being an afternoon paper, did it have the story yesterday?

"STUNT DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Daily_News_1944_06_16_423.jpg

Annie: "Don't look at me, I didn't make that puddle."
Sandy: "Hmhmhmhm."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The News' two-star Brooklyn final hits the street in mid-morning, so it may be the Eagle was able to get the drop, if you will pardon, on this story while the News will have to wait till the Pink edition goes out about 9 tonight.

As the saying goes, Werner Von Braun aimed for the stars, and often hit London.

The News' two-star Brooklyn final hits the street in mid-morning, so it may be the Eagle was able to get the drop, if you will pardon, on this story while the News will have to wait till the Pink edition goes out about 9 tonight.

As the saying goes, Werner Von Braun aimed for the stars, and often hit London.

Thank you ⇧ . I know you've told me this before, but,clearly, I am confused. I thought the Eagle "hit the street" earlier than the Daily News, thus giving the News a little more time to get a late-breaking story - no?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Eagle Home edition goes out about 3 in the afternoon, after the four-star News final, and then there;'s a gap of about six hours before the *next day's* News hits the streets around 9 PM, well after the Eagle's 7-star Sports Final has gone out. So they don't exactly overlap, but there's a narrow window there where the Eagle can get a beat. The News can, however, if something happens of transcendent importance, get out an Extra by replating pages 1 and 2 and maybe the centerspread. (Last time they did this, I think, was on 9/11 -- I still have a copy of that edition.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_1.jpg

("She don' hawrdly even look like 'ehself," sighs Alice, picking sadly at a plate of B-V macaroni, Rector Style. "She knew it was me, but when I tawked to 'eh, she soun'ed drunk. I neveh seen Sal drunk, I seen 'eh sip atta cuppa beeh wit' Joe at t'bawlgame a few times, but she don' go in f'no hawrd drinkin'. I guess it'sa medicine'ney givin'eh makin'eh like t'at." Krause nods, tucking with more enthusiasm into his dinner than the meal perhaps warrants. Stella the Cat sits by the table, gazing up at the plate, and Krause obliges by flicking her a morsel of hamburger. "T'at was a good ideeh," continue Alice, "bring Stelleh down'eeh. She prob'ly gets lonely up t'eh awlalone. Did I eveh tell ya how t'ey got 'eh? Sal tol' me once, t'eh was 'tis teacheh she had at Erasmus, t'ey awl called 'eh Aunt Stella, an'a few yeehs back she died. She lived awlalone innis house downa Midwood t'eh, wit' a lotta cats, an' when Joe read about it inna papeh he wen' by t'eh an' foun'nis one cat, wasn' much moeh'na kitten really, an' stuck 'eh in 'is coat an' brung 'eh home. An'ney cawlt'eh 'Stelleh' afteh t'is teacheh.' An'now Joe's inna Awrmy, Sal's inna hospital, Leonoreh's oveh t'heh gran'ma's, an' Stellehs awla 'lone. Kin'a sad t't'ink about it. S'like t'whole fam'ly's broke up." Krause glances down and flips Stella another morsel. "T'at was a good t'ing you done, bringin' 'eh down'eeh 'til Sal gets betteh." "Yeh," nods Krause, watching Stella bat the morsel about the floor. "She *is* gonna get betteh, ain' she?" adds Alice. "Yeh," nods Krause.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_2.jpg
("Y'know," declares Miss Kaplan, catching a chunk of corned beef before it falls out of her mouth, "if you didn' have t'em extra toes, t'is could be you." Mozelewski looks up from the photo of Miss Kaplan in her contest dress and frowns. He sighs deeply and returns to marking notes on the photo, his untouched lunch at his side, as he tries to figure out where he went wrong....)

Extra squads of police patrolled in the Fort Greene Park all morning today in the aftermath of overnight rioting in which a mob of more than a hundred youths armed with baseball bats and other weapons attacked a number of persons they saw in the park and the nearby Fort Greene housing development. The mob assembled about 9:30 pm at the Prison Ship monument off Fulton Street and fanned out in every direction, pushing and shoving persons in apparent attempts to start fights. As the crowd emerged into Myrtle and Cumberland Streets, they were met by other youths armed with sticks and a furious melee ensued, overflowing into several neighborhood stores. In a drugstore, a thrown baseball bat narrowly missed striking a three-month-old baby. Police from three precincts arrived to break up the riot and made two arrests. Two youths were sent to Cumberland Hospital with minor injuries as the rioters were dispersed. They regathered, however, shortly after midnight and police were recalled to the scene to quell the disturbance. It was rumored in the neighborhood that the riot was a revenge attack stemming from an attack on a youth the previous night, but police doubted that story. Police believe that it is more likely that the riot was planned as vengeance against those deemed resposible for last Sunday night's incident aboard a BMT train in whch fifteen youths rioted thru the cars, and shot one man twice when he objected to their actions.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_4.jpg

(Coming Events...)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_4(1).jpg

("Yeah, imagine how Bob Hope feels.")

Reader Carolyn Stelle writes in to object to the portrait of Woodrow Wilson appearing on the $500 war bond she just purchased. "I feel," she sneers, "that you should let Republicans know that the Democrats are on the cheap bonds, so that they will only buy $1000 bonds from here on." She adds that she intends to sell off the bond with the Democrat Wilson's picture on it as soon as it is possible for her to do so.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_6.jpg

(ALICE MARBLE!!!! Hey kid, we've missed ya! Whatcha been up to? Oh, and somebody go check the linotype department again, that old sot down there listed the Philadelphia A's in the National League. I guess that's one way to get the Cubs out of last place.)

Chuck Dressen's birthday was yesterday, and for a present, the fiesty little coach asked Frenchy Bordagaray to hit him a home run. Frenchy could only manage a single, but Mrs. Dressen was nevertheless impressed. "Isn't he cute!" she gasped as the Frenchman preened at first base.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_11.jpg

("You wouldn't know where I could hire a houseboy, would you?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_11(1).jpg

(Never mind the cops, worry about the OPA.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_11(2).jpg

(Sorry Tubby, the concession stand is closed.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_11(3).jpg

(Yeah, it's hell getting old.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_1944_06_17_11(4).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG is operating undercover. Right? RIGHT???)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_06_17_61.jpg

Sometimes it's all you can do just to keep up.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_64.jpg

Jeezuz.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_69.jpg

$150 a month, kid -- but it's not like you've got anywhere to spend it.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_74.jpg

"Don'cha know there's a war on??"

Daily_News_1944_06_17_75.jpg

Woo hoo! SNIPE! I was just wondering what she was up to. Just please don't invite Tops.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_77.jpg

Where do you even get a skirt with pictures of turtles on it?

Daily_News_1944_06_17_78.jpg

EXPOSE HIM IN THE PRESS FOR THE CREEPY LECH THAT HE IS.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_80.jpg

Pfft, the Asp would eat this guy for breakfast.

Daily_News_1944_06_17_81.jpg

"I say, Chief, would a BRAND NEW SUITCASE enhance my access???"

Daily_News_1944_06_17_83.jpg

"If you knew how little they did."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld