Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
danofarlington said:
My opinion is that we all shouldn't be so touchy about hat comments. What the heck do I care about offhand remarks? What I care about is whether the hat basically looks good on me, and whether it is working. If it is, and there are ways to know that (the mirror, the kind of looks you get), then you're good to go, and you have to wear the thing around. If there's something wrong with it, and with hats that is very easy to do, then maybe you ought to re-think the hat. I do not subscribe to the notion that anything anybody puts on, works. I think it's the responsibility of the wearer to do his best on the selection of the hat style in the first place, plus combine it correctly with clothes, to achieve a positive effect. If a person gets a lot of cracks in several different settings, or the cracks outnumber the compliments and admiring glances, it's time to check the mirror again and maybe pick a different hat. And what's wrong with that? It's just a hat. You buy 'em, you sell 'em, you wear 'em, you shelve 'em.

I think you are missing the whole point---entirely. It is about good manners and keeping your mouth shut even though you don't like what the person is wearing. They wouldn't say something stupid about something a Hell's Angel is wearing but they sure don't have any stickers on their tongue about a normal guy wearing a hat. :rolleyes:
If I went walking around commenting about how stupid people look, I wouldn't get anything els done all day. :eusa_doh:

jamespowers said:
Then I would have been Mr. Drysdale from the Beverly Hillbillies or Eddie Albert from Green Acres. ;) :p
Their inability to just notice a hat while keeping their mouth shut at the same time will never cease---no matter what you wear. Fortunately, it is just certain individuals and not the majority. :rolleyes:

Touche! :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
I think you are missing the whole point---entirely. It is about good manners and keeping your mouth shut even though you don't like what the person is wearing. They wouldn't say something stupid about something a Hell's Angel is wearing but they sure don't have any stickers on their tongue about a normal guy wearing a hat. :rolleyes:
If I went walking around commenting about how stupid people look, I wouldn't get anything els done all day. :eusa_doh:
I don't agree, not surprisingly. A hat is just about the most conspicuous thing a person can wear. Most people who wear hats would like to get positive attention. But to have a chance at positive attention, one has to risk negative attention. In other words, I think a person wearing a hat is asking for it. They may get it in a good or bad way. That places great importance on seeking a hat style that works. A hat that works will shut most people up, I'll bet. Most of us are probably not Hell's Angels, and we are subject to the same hazing as the general public. But there's no way to wear a hat and have people ignore it. That's part of the charge of doing it--will your attention be good or bad? If fedora wearing were as routine as in the 1950s, it wouldn't be a challenge. Frank Sinatra said that in Hoboken people would knock his hat off his head until he learned to wear them better. That's an extreme example, but attention is what we're asking for wearing a fedora, and attention we will get.

Dr Doran

danofarlington said:
I don't agree, not surprisingly. A hat is just about the most conspicuous thing a person can wear. Most people who wear hats would like to get positive attention. But to have a chance at positive attention, one has to risk negative attention. In other words, I think a person wearing a hat is asking for it. They may get it in a good or bad way. That places great importance on seeking a hat style that works. A hat that works will shut most people up, I'll bet. Most of us are probably not Hell's Angels, and we are subject to the same hazing as the general public. But there's no way to wear a hat and have people ignore it. That's part of the charge of doing it--will your attention be good or bad? If fedora wearing were as routine as in the 1950s, it wouldn't be a challenge. Frank Sinatra said that in Hoboken people would knock his hat off his head until he learned to wear them better. That's an extreme example, but attention is what we're asking for wearing a fedora, and attention we will get.

There is some truth in this.

bradford

Familiar Face
I've had people, mainly teens, say "nice cowboy hat" while I am wearing a fedora. I'm always tempted to correct them and explain the difference and the fact that my cowboy hat is at home, but I generally just say thanks.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While we're talking about "cowboy hats," here's one. I was going on one of my hikes in the hills as usual, and I happened to be wearing my brown Akubra Federation IV. It was creased to be reminiscent of the Raiders of the Lost Ark style Indiana Jones fedora. I was walking back towards the neighborhood, and I happened to pass by a local community park. Two little girls were giggling and I heard one of them say "Hey cowboy man!" I thought it was pretty cute and innocent, actually. I couldn't help but smile after hearing that, because I knew it was directed towards me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
While we're talking about "cowboy hats," here's one. I was going on one of my hikes in the hills as usual, and I happened to be wearing my brown Akubra Federation IV. It was creased to be reminiscent of the Raiders of the Lost Ark style Indiana Jones fedora. I was walking back towards the neighborhood, and I happened to pass by a local community park. Two little girls were giggling and I heard one of them say "Hey cowboy man!" I thought it was pretty cute and innocent, actually. I couldn't help but smile after hearing that, because I knew it was directed towards me.

I get this from the kids all the time at school. Lately, Ive taken to making them say and spell the word fedora, of course, with a smile. Today, one of the kids actually called it a fedora, slightly mispronounced, but I smiled anyway and said, 'You got it!'

danofarlington said:

That still does not excuse the lack of decorum associated with making dumb comments to some one you hardly know in public. These people should be shunned for their turrets of idiocy syndrome.
I don't wear a hat to get noticed. It is just another funtional article of clothing that keeps sun out of my face as well as rain. I wear it because it is useful .
If I wanted to get noticed and hear stupid comments then I would dress in a clown suit. :rolleyes:

scottyrocks said:
I get this from the kids all the time at school. Lately, Ive taken to making them say and spell the word fedora, of course, with a smile. Today, one of the kids actually called it a fedora, slightly mispronounced, but I smiled anyway and said, 'You got it!'

And for extra credit, you need to wear a hat on straight---not to one side or the other---not backward but straight. :p

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
And for extra credit, you need to wear a hat on straight---not to one side or the other---not backward but straight. :p

Actually, the trend is moving back in that direction, at least in my little fashion-setting corner of the world <sarcasm-mode off>.

The problem to be 'overcome' now is what are called 'flatcaps.' These are structured-crown baseball caps with the bill completely flat, and the hat itself about 2 sizes too big. Even with the bill forward, it looks ridiculous.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
In other words, I think a person wearing a hat is asking for it. They may get it in a good or bad way. That places great importance on seeking a hat style that works. A hat that works will shut most people up, I'll bet. but attention is what we're asking for wearing a fedora, and attention we will get.

It's important to seek a hat that "works"? Okay, I'll ask: In whose f&*%$#@ opinion???????

I can't believe someone over the age of 9 could write something like that.

I have opinions on what others are wearing every time I step out the door. Do you know what I do with those opinions while passing people? I KEEP THEM TO MYSELF!

danofarlington

MisterCairo said:
It's important to seek a hat that "works"? Okay, I'll ask: In whose f&*%$#@ opinion???????

I can't believe someone over the age of 9 could write something like that.

I have opinions on what others are wearing every time I step out the door. Do you know what I do with those opinions while passing people? I KEEP THEM TO MYSELF!
Touchy, touchy!

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
I am actually quite envious of you all, I never hear a squeak out of anyone when I wear a fedora, or a trilby, or whatever, the fact that I wear a ballet tutu in contrasting colours, as well, usually makes people cross over the street.....but, I think it's the diving flippers that do it..:eek:

Aerol

A-List Customer
Dated Guy said:
I am actually quite envious of you all, I never hear a squeak out of anyone when I wear a fedora, or a trilby, or whatever, the fact that I wear a ballet tutu in contrasting colours, as well, usually makes people cross over the street.....but, I think it's the diving flippers that do it..:eek:

Do the flippers match the hat or the tutu?

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:

Speak for yourself. A person wearing a hat might just be wearing a hat because he likes it, now because of any desire to be noticed.

Sometimes a hat is just a hat....

danofarlington

Mikey P said:
Speak for yourself. A person wearing a hat might just be wearing a hat because he likes it, now because of any desire to be noticed.

Sometimes a hat is just a hat....
A person wearing argyle socks may not be seeking attention.

Someone wearing a striped undershirt may not be seeking attention.

A person wearing a stocking cap is not seeking attention.

A person wearing a baseball cap may not be seeking attention.

Someone wearing a fedora is seeking attention.

Admit it now, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe