Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortega76

Practically Family
I'm sorry to have caused any confusion.

I suppose I should have made clear my observations on the "thug look" were really directed at my friends and family. Being a Mexican-American with friends and family who are Mexican-Americans and being a South Sider who lives in a predominantly African-American/Hispanic part of the suburbs, I was really speaking of those whom with I have a personal relationship. I was speaking of my friends and neighbors and relatives.

My observations were made as just that- observations. I include race merely as descriptors. Like it or not, I CANNOT be fully described by short, overweight, brown eyes" alone. No inherent judgements are made on my part or (I assume) on anyone else's part. There is no need to rush to the defense of anyone. I do not say this as "wounded minority", but please realize that observations based on the popular aspects of a culture are just that- observations.

No prejudice or racism were intended.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ortega76 said:
I'm sorry to have caused any confusion.

I suppose I should have made clear my observations on the "thug look" were really directed at my friends and family. Being a Mexican-American with friends and family who are Mexican-Americans and being a South Sider who lives in a predominantly African-American/Hispanic part of the suburbs, I was really speaking of those whom with I have a personal relationship. I was speaking of my friends and neighbors and relatives.

No prejudice, racism or stereotypes were intended.

Makes all the sense in the world sorry I misinterpreted your statements.:cool2:

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
It is silly to go any further, but, if race is not an issue why is race mentioned by both you and Ortega.[huh] You both make very clear distinctions.
No one said race isn't an issue. Mentioning race is not the same thing as racism. If it would help, then take it one point at a time:

1. "You know, I think there are still some sub-cultures where looking put together is a bit more common, even if the aesthetics are a different than what I may prefer." This is a compliment.

2. "I'm thinking of many African-American and Latino communities." These are the sub-cultures being complimented.

3. "I know a lot of guys in those communities who have grown out of the thug look and really like to express themselves with clothes." In other words, while many young people embrace the thug look, Ortega has noticed that many members of these two specific communities make an effort to dress better than average.

4. "While I may not dig my old friend's plaid 6 button suit with gators and a bowler…” Take a look at the offerings by Sean John or Bernie Mac or FUBU and this is what you will see. Ortega simply says that these specific style options are not to his particular taste.

5. “…I'll take that over my younger cousin's 3XL sweatshirt and baggy jeans." Is his cousin white? Then here is his example that some blacks and latinos dress better than some whites. No racism there. Is Ortega's cousin latino or black? Then he is saying that some dress better than others. No racism there.

6. "At least the former is making the effort for a more polished look." Another compliment.

Race was mentioned because it was relevant to his point, and it was mentioned in a positive way. If anyone mistook his point then hopefully it is now more clear. Ortega, if I have misunderstood or misrepresented your words then I apologize. Hopefully others will do the same if they have misunderstood as well.

Edit: I posted before refreshing and thus missed Ortega's post. I myself am an American of Mexican heritage, but I didn't see a point in mentioning that as I think opinions are valid regardless of the person who holds them.

ortega76

Practically Family
Agreed. Apologies extended and accepted wholeheartedly and without reservation. Forgive my morning grumpiness. . .

Moving on with a dumb comment.

I went to dinner on Saturday night with my wife to a Brazilian Steakhouse. They serve skewers of meat- all you can eat. I think I gained like 12 pounds that night! Anyway, I got called Zorro because I wore my black porkpie. Zorro! By the hostess!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
I went to dinner on Saturday night with my wife to a Brazilian Steakhouse. They serve skewers of meat- all you can eat. I think I gained like 12 pounds that night! Anyway, I got called Zorro because I wore my black porkpie. Zorro! By the hostess!
You weren't, by chance, cutting a large Z into the wall with your skewer were you?

warbird

One Too Many
I went to one of those a few weeks ago. I didn't get any comments on my fedora (I never get even slightly negative comments on my hats), but I do have a very zorro-esque old Stetson. I should have worn it, though it still wouldn't make me look even remotely like Zorro.. And yes, if you don't gain 12 lbs eating there you will at least feel like it.

ortega76

Practically Family
warbird said:
I went to one of those a few weeks ago. I didn't get any comments on my fedora (I never get even slightly negative comments on my hats), but I do have a very zorro-esque old Stetson. I should have worn it, though it still wouldn't make me look even remotely like Zorro.. And yes, if you don't gain 12 lbs eating there you will at least feel like it.
:eek:fftopic: For me it's the lamb. I never get it except for the odd trip to Greektown. I stuff myself silly on lamb.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
When I walk about town in a trench coat and fedora idiots constantly call me "Inspector Gadget" which is ridiculous, as my fedoras are black and grey so they should either say private detective or say nothing. My friends call me Inspector Morse or Captain Hastings (Poirot's friend) which don't mind so much, as these are more sensible characters.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
It is silly to go any further, but, if race is not an issue why is race mentioned by both you and Ortega.[huh] You both make very clear distinctions.
I never said it wasn't about race, Carlisle Blues; I said the original comment didn't seem racist/racial profiling. We can have very interesting conversations about race and identity in American fashion, style, and culture without resorting to racism. From what I could tell, no one had done that.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
conflict?

Caity Lynn said:
Please gentleman lets get back on topic.Conflict isn't becoming
You're right, Caity Lynn, conflict can be unbecoming... But as a new member to the Lounge, what I like is that everyone here seems to have been civil and considerate...no flaming, no outrageous comments, and generally respectful of each other. Yeah, we're a bit off topic, but only a bit...glad to have the conversation with this group of stylish, intelligent people!:eusa_clap

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
You're right, Caity Lynn, conflict can be unbecoming... But as a new member to the Lounge, what I like is that everyone here seems to have been civil and considerate...no flaming, no outrageous comments, and generally respectful of each other. Yeah, we're a bit off topic, but only a bit...glad to have the conversation with this group of stylish, intelligent people!:eusa_clap

I couldn't agree more. Discussion does not equal conflict. I am walking away with a better understanding of what was posted. I enjoy it here. I believe people are smart, freely share information and earnest in their perspectives.

What more can a person ask for.[huh]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
I never said it wasn't about race, Carlisle Blues; I said the original comment didn't seem racist/racial profiling. We can have very interesting conversations about race and identity in American fashion, style, and culture without resorting to racism. From what I could tell, no one had done that.

Well said. Having grown up in Los Angeles/Glendale, I could write much about "fashion" and the various ethnic/racial groups we have here ("Anglo," Armenian, Black, Filipino, Mexican, Salvadoran, etc.), as well as even religious groups (Pentecostal, Calvary Chapel,...). Merely reporting on that which one sees does not necessarily constitute "racism" or stereotyping. On that note, and now referring to my own mostly Italian ancestry, an Armenian tailor in Glendale once told me that the majority of his customers were either Armenian or Italian. I found it surprising, since paisani here in L.A. don't really identify much with any one "look."[huh] But I hope that it is true. Now...back to the dumbest comments!

Lee (Widebrim)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I couldn't agree more. Discussion does not equal conflict. I am walking away with a better understanding of what was posted. I enjoy it here. I believe people are smart, freely share information and earnest in their perspectives.

What more can a person ask for.[huh]

Also well said, and apparently by a gentleman.:eusa_clap

Torpedo

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
Agreed. Apologies extended and accepted wholeheartedly and without reservation. Forgive my morning grumpiness. . .

Moving on with a dumb comment.

Hello, it would seem black porkpies are susceptible of getting the Zorro comment... I have one too and I have also heard it being called the Zorro hat, a couple of times. It is not a stingy brim, it having about 2 1/4 of brim or so, and I wear it with the front snapped down, and, admittedly, these details may well favour the comparison.

On both occassions, small kids were the "culprits". One of them even made some sword dueling movements. I found it fun - at least it's something different than the boring "cowboy" calls... :D

I had not included it here because, it being a children thing, I can not consider it "dumb", but now that you mention it, I recover it.

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe