Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortega76

Practically Family
Down2BDapper said:
I usually get "What are you all dressed up for?"
I just reply "Life".

I'm amazed at what triggers that question. Jeans, shirt and blazer almost always triggers that with me- never mind a suit. Not that I don't bum around in jeans and tees, but jeesh. . . can we have some standardsin this day and age?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
DerMann said:
...a couple of girls (aged anywhere from 14-17), said,"look, an Amish!" as I came into their view.

That's pretty good.

Y'know, I'm lucky to say that I've never (yet) received a deriding comment. Comments, yes, but not at all mean-spirited.

But just a week or so ago I got the "Amish" thing by way of a friendly waitress at a lunch place I frequent. As I was sitting outside eating, she came out and said that one of her young, female customers inside had inquired about me, asking if maybe I was Amish. I said, "Nah, tell her I'm a time traveler", as I smiled and tipped the hat.

We both chuckled and that was it.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Down2BDapper said:
I usually get "What are you all dressed up for?"

I tend to do the following:
- gentle smile and twinkle in eye -
- look the poorly dressed specimen up and down -

exclaim - "I prefer to dress as a man rather than a boy"

- smile indulgently -

leo

One of the Regulars
I rarely receive dumb comments and attribute most of them to not well thought out ways to substitute for a common greeting.

But this morning I was wearing a kahki/tan trench coat and gray fedora (snapped down in front) over business clothing. I would expect Dick Tracy or Bogey or similar, but "Johnny Cash"? :D

Bill

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's my list, many of which have been previously mentioned. Keep in mind that I have a fairly long beard and mustache, so that can generate confusion over the chosen remark. Of the ethnic/religious groups, only one member of such has ever mistaken me for one of their own, and that was a non-practicing Jew, so I'm not sure that counts.

Amish
Jewish
Muslim
Osama
Al-Qaeda
Mormon
Mennonite
Inspector Gadget
Czar Nicholaus II (when in Russia, mostly for the 'stache)
Michael Jackson (with a beard?)
Civil War reenactor (mainly the beard)
Smith Brother (ditto)
Abe Lincoln
George Washington (by kids who couldn't remember Lincoln's name)
Mobster (though never a specific one)
Pimp
Indiana Jones (of course)
and my favorite, which is pretty accurate except for his wimpy 'stache, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto
Pareto.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wimpy you say

Lefty said:
Here's my list, many of which have been previously mentioned. Keep in mind that I have a fairly long beard and mustache, so that can generate confusion over the chosen remark. Of the ethnic/religious groups, only one member of such has ever mistaken me for one of their own, and that was a non-practicing Jew, so I'm not sure that counts.

and my favorite, which is pretty accurate except for his wimpy 'stache, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto
Pareto.jpg

This may require a side-by-side comparison. ;) :)

leo said:
I rarely receive dumb comments and attribute most of them to not well thought out ways to substitute for a common greeting.

But this morning I was wearing a kahki/tan trench coat and gray fedora (snapped down in front) over business clothing. I would expect Dick Tracy or Bogey or similar, but "Johnny Cash"? :D

Bill

Now that is truly one of the dumbest comments I ever heard! :eusa_doh:
Johnny Cash? Was the person recently released from an insane asylum? :rolleyes:

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
What annoys me is that people think they have a right to comment. I mean, I don't go up to people on the street and say, "Hey, don't you realise that trucker caps went out of fashion five years ago!", or whatever. Therefore, what possesses people to feel they can yell some dumb comment ("Indy" or even "Johnny Cash"!!) at me?

It's kind of symptomatic of society today - everyone feels that what other people do, even strangers, is somehow their business. I find people in the office or even just acquaintances, feel the need to comment on every aspect of the lives of people around them, asking about their gym routines (that strikes me as an intensely personal question), commenting on their choice of holiday destinations and commenting on their dress, appearance and other activities.

Is this an extension of people's obsession with the private lives of celebrities and other individuals they barely know (or don't know at all)? I don't know but it annoys me!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yep. I forgot rabbi and Yoder (a really common Amish name).

anglophile said:
Today I was wearing my brown Christies trilby and a green coed sportcoat. Someone said I looked like a rabbi.

I do have a beard but besides that I don't get it.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I was wearing a wide brimmed acorn color fedora and a heavy sheepskin coat and a guy said .."Its Crocodile Dundee" .. now I do have a 14 inch Bowie knife but did not have it on my person. That is the closest I get to having anything Crocodile Dundee.

Little children look at my hat and always call me a cowboy. I have made a lot of days for those little ones when they spy me. It is a big event for a two year old to see what they perceive a real cowboy.

I have an A2 covered in patches and once at the video store a couple of boys about 8 and 6 asked me if I was a real air force pilot. they had such wide eyes looking at my jacket. I told them I wasn't but that the jacket was real a Air Force pilot's flight jacket. They were satisfied. Kids are a hoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe